WMC 24-25: BUMP TIME!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Aug 2, 2021.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    You can't expect an entirely new roster to play well against the champs on day one. We were 1-4 or 1-5 in preseason, so we clearly haven't figured it out yet. Definitely need shooting. But basically I won't be able to tune in and watch until they are actually watchable. It's just a waste of time, and not slightly entertaining.

2. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    The real test would be against a scrub team. When can we meet a tanking team?

sirronstuff likes this.
  3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Can’t shoot.
    Too many turnovers.

4. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Next preseason? We finished 11th. We ARE a scrub team.

Cookie and JSM like this.
  5. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Just a hard team to watch. LeGM and AD’s Russ trade butchered our competitive depth. Gonna be a long season of bad basketball.

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

being a former agent, he understands that vet mins have no purchasing power. hell, demar derozan went on a revenge tour last year against a team that apparently insulted him by offering a vet min. none of our competitors' rosters are stuffed to the gills with vet mins and mini mles. zero.

this is my point. the russ trade was the end. i really think the rob extension was to prevent lebron and AD from managing again and to prevent rob from making a panic trade that saved him temporarily and hamstrung the franchise long-term (like many fans who criticize rob want to do right now).

i agree with lebron--they actually looked better than i expected last night. gs is a dynasty, completely healthy and rested, playing at home. we're a completely new team, new coach, new system, less talent and yes, not that well-constructed.

we're going to lose to the good teams most of the time because we're simply not a very good team.

7. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

warriors have a 300M+ team salary, its not bout spending $ if you do it right

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

signing 3/4 of the team to 1yr deals every yr dont help with continuity either and of course sending out every 1st rd pick anytime he has em

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    abeer3 likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i agree, which is why we need to dig out without trading picks and need to consider taking on salary past next year to do it.

Khmrp likes this.
  10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

the way this team is constructed feels just like the way Mitch built the team towards Kobe's last 2 yrs but wanting a different outcome, we werent winning so just let Kobe do his thing, ala let ad/bron do their thing and continue to lose

11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    that's fine, but I'm not watching if that's the case

Khmrp likes this.
  12. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Jones needs to play, I don't care how he's looked at practice. Gabriel can't be the only "big" on the floor either, he doesn't protect the rim or finish around the basket. He's just a bigger body that tries hard but isn't actually good at anything. Starting AD at the 5 is supposed to help space the floor but if we can't shoot anyway there's no point. Start Jones (or Bryant when he's back) next to AD and at least have some size out there.

abeer3 likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

still can't figure out how now two coaches believe you can play AD at the 5 with small wings and bad shooters. it's just not possible to succeed this way.

JSM, alam1108, pika1708 and 2 others like this.
  14. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

yes they're willing to spend but they got extremely lucky with that one time jump in salary cap; allowed them to get Durant and then used his space to get Wiggins and the pick that became Kuminga.

But on the whole I agree with you with the willing to spend bit: the sad thing is they were only a few decisions away from still having a good shot at being a very good team even with the disaster of the Westbrook trade. If they had kept Caruso and still used the MLE on Nunn (which I'm pretty sure the Warriors ownership group would have done) then something like the Indiana trade immediately allows you to correct the WB errors. Now however you still may not just have NBA level bodies even when a trade nets you two very good shooters for their position for a non-shooter

alam1108, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

warriors would have moved schroder in a s&t that netted a salary slot and kept caruso. those two things alone would have helped a lot, and they were purely financial.

i don't know that they would have mitigated much of the russ damage, but we'd be in a better spot and probably would have been in the running to pick up covington or powell like the clips did. those kinds of deals are where the deep pockets really help.

alam1108, Pioneer10 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  16. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

This is exactly how it feels like so if we’re not looking like contenders by the trade deadline, we may as well trade AD for a bunch of solid picks and rebuild from the ground up as LeBron fades into the sunset.

If we win the championship this year then this post will not age well lol but I’m willing to take that risk.

17. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

Yes and they sign their players through Bird rights. We have to resort to vet mins or mini mid levels cause we got rid of all our players with Bird rights after the Russ move. Can't build a roster like that.

alam1108 likes this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

19. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    We might be the worst shooting team in NBA history this year.

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

we resorted to vet min because we trade 1st rd picks like it's cursed and 1yr deals over and over again, how do you build any chemistry doing things like that? GSW rather than let KD walk for nothing was willing to take on a max Dlo even if there were issues of fit and found a more viable option thanks to Dlo, we let randle, lopez, etc. walk for nothing