WMC 24-25: BUMP TIME!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Aug 2, 2021.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

maybe. but as you indicate, the distance helps. remember we had just brought in howard and were about to lose him in FA because our season went so poorly. losing all assets associated with the nash and howard acquistions paired with kobe's injury made that a sort of cataclysmic season. and i remember howard's attitude wearing on me in ways similar to russ's (not nearly as bad, but he was just not invested, imo).

that's why i'm just like: let us escape with AD intact...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  2. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

I still think 2012-2013 is the GOAT catastrophe season. Our coaches were Mike Brown and Pringles, Nash breaks his leg in game 2, Kobe's Achilles ruptures, Jerry Buss dies, Dwight walks for nothing, and as the cherry on top, we completely debase ourselves with the "Stay" billboards.

3. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

2012 was hell. This is a picnic in comparison. That season was beyond cursed. Just horrible and the end of Kobe’s effective career.

FrontOfJersey22 and D-Fish Man like this.
  4. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

The biggest difference this season is that we(LeBron/Rob/Jeanie) did it to ourselves. EVERYONE knew Russ wouldn’t work and yet they did it anyway. You can never predict injuries, but you can prevent yourself from making the worst trade in Laker History.
    I still have a tiny bit of hope that Rob will do much better this summer, but it’s going to take a miracle to offload Westbrick.

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

We had no chance once KP got going in the 4th. No one can cover him. We're too small. I think every one that played in the 4th got a shot at him and he was able to shoot over all them. Dwight wouldn't have helped, he's too slow, can't get out to the 3 in time and the paint would've been wide open.

Bron's legs were done by the time we needed a boost in the final 4 minutes. The 3 stopped falling. Expected with him playing 81 minutes in the past 24 hours.

6. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

everyone always makes it seem like porzingis sucks but guy always goes off against the lakers

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he looks like a million bucks every fifth game or so. and he's also hurt 50% of the time. the other big issue is that his productivity seems to work inverse to his team's fortunes most of the time, too. except against us i guess?

8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Yep. Injuries, inconsistencies, and the fact that he didn't mesh with Luka are all pretty big knocks.

If we don't have AD's length on the court or someone mobile like Morris, the rest of our recent bigs aren't equipped for a big like KP.

lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  9. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

He’s nothing special. It should be easy for someone 7’ 3” to score over Russ, Reaves etc. that we kept letting him get switched off on. When Melo or Bron should have been fighting over a screen, they didn’t and we paid for it.

10. FrontOfJersey22

It’s okay though because LeGM was celebrated for his most recent offensive accomplishment -that’s what really matters.

sirronstuff and Cookie like this.
  11. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Well it's not like we have anything else to cheer for or be proud of at this moment. Might as well.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  12. FrontOfJersey22

I get it- I’m just salty towards him based on his awful decision to trade our depth for Westbrick.

13. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

I was looking at Spurs schedule and we may not make the play-in. They have a very easy schedule coming up compared to us.

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

And they just beat the Kerriors and we have to continue to listen to Steve Kerr's incessant whining everytime something doesn't go his way. He is starting to get on my last nerve.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lol, NO won at ATL last night without ingram. if you had "NO overtakes the lakers for 9th place in march 2022 without any of the players they received for AD or zion williamson" in 2020 i'd have been very confused.

16. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

This season is far worse than 2012. This 2022 team routinely quits when the going got tough and has been down and out by 20+ points many times especially at home. The 2012 team had injuries and chemistry issues as well but was excellent at home. 2022 team has more talent up and down the roster and has largely underperformed.

I believe we went 1-5 to start under Mike Brown and even in the midst of a coaching change they stayed above .500. to end the season.

2022 team has gone up against many short handed teams and still did not compete and ended up getting their butts handed to them.

2012 was rough but 2022 has been the worst season for the Lakers in my 30 years of following them.

17. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

That's pretty much how I see it. Season is in the toilet so there's not much else to tune in for.

18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Maybe we get people healthy, get mad, and make one final attempt at making some noise in the play in game, and even after getting ousted, use that as a springboard for next year. Seems like the best we can hope for right now. Unless other teams go into the playoffs injured, there's no hope or reason to play except to get some guys some playoff experience.

lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i mean, yes, in theory, you get nunn and AD back, squeak by dal/minny/lac/NO and play a curry-less warriors, a paul-less suns, or an inexperienced grizzlies team and you never know. but in truth, with how bad we've looked even with everyone healthy and how little time we've had at full strength, i don't see us beating those teams or any of the teams behind them in a series right now.

our best hope is that AD and nunn look good and are healthy and ready to go to start next season. nunn owes us a good year, as does AD at this point.

20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    ever the optimist I guess.....

But dang, if not, what a monumental waste of a year. Let's go play a big front line and prove Kurt right so he can further guide all future personnel moves. it's seems like the right thing to do.

:Laugh:

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.