Wmc 15/16: We are finally at the END! BYE BYRON!!!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Jun 21, 2015.

1. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

challenges in developing young guys?

what challenges? this is a lost season, there's nothing to play for and what does he do? he benches russell and randle. that'll do wonders for their confidence. russell has even come out and made it clear he and byron aren't on the same page. there aren't any challenges in the development of our young studs, the only challenge is the idiot "coaching" this team

2. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    The first 5 minutes were great, after that not so much

3. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

At this point in this debacle of coaching I'm seeing on the floor, I no longer care what happens about keeping our pick this year or not. As many have pointed out, if we lose it this year (which is going to be more or less a 50% prospect) at least we will have it the following year.

All I care about now is Byron getting canned this summer. It will be absolutely necessary. I can't stand the idea of going further with him at the helm considering how he treats the young guns and how poorly he uses the players he has. He's going to have the two very worst regular season records in all of our Laker history. That's not acceptable. This experiment is over. We need a new face to attract Free Agents and to develop our great young core. This guy is the worst.

Kenzo, Weezy and gcclaker like this.
  4. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Huertas and some of his decisions. Russ passes to him for the layup and he gives that up by passing it behind him when no one is there and the cross court pass late are the recent plays that come to mind.

Weezy likes this.
  5. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Moved comment to its own thread.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  6. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Could deserve it's own thread me thinks.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  7. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

I keep asking myself what the hell the front office is waiting for. There is clear evidence in front of them that Byron Scott is a terrible, terrible basketball coach. Look at how bad the Lakers are defensively, out of sync and lacking continuity on the offensive end, lack of rebounding, lack of energy. We should be funneling everything towards Roy because of his shot blocking and not putting him in a position where he has to come away from the basket and exposing his lack of mobility.

We all expected this team to be competitive. Being 3-21 is just disgraceful. I look at some of these teams they've lost to and I don't think any of them outside of Golden State, San Antonio, and Houston are that much more talented than we're. I was expected them to challenge for a playoff spot. To be challenging the woeful Sixers for not just the worst record, but all time bad futility is an embarrassment to the Lakers name and all the great teams and legends who have played for this once proud franchise.

We don't even need a great head coach. We need someone who'll get the f*** out of the way. Which this clown refuses to do. Just let the kids play. The season is lost at this point anyway benching them accomplishes nothing especially when both D'Angelo and Julius were playing well prior to the benching. It's one thing to be bench them if they're struggling and guys like Nance Jr. and Lou are outplaying them, but Randle and Russell have clearly been superior. Trying to force this stupid offense on them. Not allowing them to just do what they do best. Russell attacking off screen and roll as well as penetrating and getting assists. Randle on the block and attacking off the dribble. Kobe shouldn't have to bench himself. That's ridiculous.

Finally to just tank the season when there is really only one player even worth contemplating that for and the odds of getting him are slim to none is a flat out disgrace. They wonder why we can't get free agents. HELLO. Nobody wants to play for a team that tanks the season like that. That's a loser's mentality. Great players wanna be winners. I'm not gonna pretend firing Byron is like the only thing that needs to happen because even before he became the coach we were struggling, but he is a huge part of the problem and needs to go. Jim Buss should be next. He's made bad decision after bad decision. Including these horrific coaching hires. We've had a terrible strategy in free agency. Just going after superstars we had zero shot of getting and not trying to acquire solid role players that can help this team. We had a few and let them go. Guys like Ed Davis, Jeremy Lin, and Ken Bazemore. The Kobe extension. Giving a dude that much money after tearing his Achilles and hitting age 35 is insane. I like Jim, but he's not that guy for this franchise.

8. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

^ I think they are scared. They know by now, that B0ron absolutely stinks but are afraid to fire another coach mid season. We won't look any worse than we do now though, so FIRE that garbage "coach" and start fresh... again.
    The sooner the better. A great young coach can turn this mess around in no time, atracting FA's more than our lame a** pitches do :giggle:.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Truth is they're probably waiting on Luke. I find it doubtful the Warriors let us talk to their suddenly star young coach in the middle of the season during an incredible run so we get no Luke. I doubt we hire someone long-term without giving Luke a shot.

So instead of firing Byron and creating an empty space filled by Mark Madsen (*shudder*), they'll wait until the summer and pick from the open market. Spend a ton of cash to get the guy they want (I'm seriously betting on Luke at this point).

trodgers and lakerjones like this.
  10. alam1108

I hate when people say the team just isn't so good, that a new coach wouldn't have much of a difference. The team as of right not sucks, but that's cause the coaching sucks. Rotations are a nightmare, players playing out of position, no offensive or defensive schemes, etc.

We went for the top FAs over summer and missed some second tier players but I think Mitch put together a very nice team at the end of it. Mitch said they could make the playoffs, Metta said it too. It was always a stretch but it was possible if a lot of things went well. And then the first game happened (maybe preseason too) and playoff thoughts went right out the window. Bass/Kelly together, Russell off ball, 5 player subs, etc.

A competent coach would have this team flirting with .500, especially during this easy part. We have the 5th easiest schedule at this point. And this year the West is wide open, 12-12 would be 7th right now. And we've been lucky with health right now.

trodgers, gcclaker and lakerjones like this.
  11. lakerjones

^^ This. All the way. Nice post alam1108. The team is young but good and have a nice bunch of vets to fill out the roster. No way on earth we should be this hapless looking. Either Byron is the worst coach of all time or he's tanking on orders. It's sincerely difficult to figure out which one it is. Regardless though Byron needs to be kicked to the curb. If he's just a tank master we can't afford to do that any longer. If he's simply horrible (most likely) we can't have any more of that either. With the way he is coaching right now, I think we are headed for about 15 wins max. And Mitch just said Byron can continue to do whatever he thinks is best. So no help from the FO at all.

trodgers and alam1108 like this.
  12. Lakers2015

We added a guy who has been a solid PF everywhere he's been in Bass, one of the game's best interior defenders in Hibbert, last year's sixth man of the year in Williams, two top five picks basically in Randle and Russell, got Kobe back as well and we have three wins. This team won 21 games last year. When you add all the talent we added being on pace to finish worse than last season is simply inexcusable. I know some will say Kobe is done, but the last few games have shown he isn't. When he actually reigns himself in and doesn't jack up a bunch of three's he's still very good.

Kenzo, alam1108 and lakerjones like this.
  13. lakerjones

Agreed. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

14. Mantis

Mantis - Rookie -

Why? What is there to like? Especially when you hit the nail on the head with your post. It starts at the top, the Buss kids (Jeanie/Jim) can't handle running this franchise. All of the finger pointing at Byron, D'Antoni, and Brown, is just the ripple effect from bad upper management. Nothing changes until upper management does something different. Power needs to change hands, or someone needs to leave their position, or they need to hire someone outside to run the team, etc. etc. etc... All of this "we are a family" talk from Jeanie sounds nice, but is meaningless if the franchise is constantly spiraling down. It's December and they have 3 wins!! In a normal season they get 3 wins in the first full week of the season.

We are looking at ANOTHER year where the only saving grace is that we get a top notch lottery pick, and even that is in question given the top 3 pick restriction on the trade with Philly, which happens to be the only other team in the league that you can honestly say is worse than the Lakers. If I were trying to destroy this franchise for good, I'd do just what they have been doing the past 3 years.

lakerjones likes this.
  15. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I disagree a bit with Jeanie. I think she CAN run the franchise, but is too busy trying to honor her father's wishes of having Jimbo in the position he's in. Her father is dead (RIP). Time to do what's best for EVERYONE, including Jim. Jim is best served tending bar at a race track.

Jim Buss needs to go. Byron and his entire staff need to go. Mitch, I hate to say it, needs to probably go to. He is showing he may not know how to construct a roster under this new CBA. This is year 3 of this s*** show. Mitch along with the rest of the staff IS good at seeing young talent, but they have been dreadful at finding the right pieces as it pertains to veterans. Lou Williams when we have Swaggy already? Bass when we have three pfs on the roster?

16. Savory Griddles

Mark Jackson for our next head coach?

I know it was a weird exit in GS, but the guy is LOVED by his players and he built that team to what it was before Kerr took them over the hump. They were built similarly to our squad when he took over. I think he could be a good coach for this team. In fact, I like him better than Walton. Only coached in one spot. Relatively young. Had a lot of success.

17. alam1108

Yeah I agree, what is Jeanie doing? I think shes sitting back watching this circus unfold so she can fire everyone and bring in her Phil. But I disagree about Mitch not knowing how to construct a roster. After missing out on the big FA and all the second tier players that signed when we were waiting he built a solid team. The problem is the guy leading them might be a little brain damaged.

No to Mark Jackson, I like him but no more rehashes, lets get someone out of the box. A young coach that isn't behind on times. Jackson is similar to Byron (at least the theory of BS), not the best Xs and Os guy but he is a strong motivator.

18. Lakers2015

There's nothing wrong with the way Mitch constructed the current roster. We needed depth badly and we got it. If we don't sign Bass who is the backup 4 a late first round pick or Ryan freaking Kelly? Bass was a solid signing who unfortunately hasn't worked out because Byron plays him at center. Lou Williams was the top sixth man in the league last season and even with Young this team needed more offensive firepower. Once again another guy being played out of position. Talent hasn't been the issue this season. The issue is Byron is the worst coach in the NBA and Kobe prior to the last five games chucking like there's no tomorrow.

19. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

^So am I. However, if they 'settle' on so
    Lou was/is also brought in as insurance in case Nick gets moved...

20. Savory Griddles

I can see your point on Lou, but I still think it was a bit redundant. But Bass? We had Hibbert at the time, so we had Kelly, Black, and Nance to backup Julius. Not saying they are better than Bass, but he was a head scratcher when he was signed.