Wmc 15/16: We are finally at the END! BYE BYRON!!!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Jun 21, 2015.

1. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

That...is...terrible.

2. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Byron is clueless , it's not going to change ... It gonna be a struggle until management gets its ish together to correctly fill in every position in our organization ...

Kenzo likes this.
  3. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

are good coaches really that hard to come by? or is the lakers organization just that bad at hiring good coaches?

either way, i'm all for giving byron this whole season to see what he can do with the slightly improved roster but going forward i just don't see byron being the coach to take this team to the next level

4. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

Nope...good coaches are that hard to come by. IMO. But we are kind of terrible if you look at the totality.

We've struck gold with a handful of coaches and rode them til they were dry. Bill Sharman was great in the Jerry West days. We lucked into Riles who built off of Jack Mckinney's system and Magic. Riles was great though, don't get me wrong. One of the greatest. Then we swooped up on Phil Jackson. I believe during the Mikan days it was John Kundla but I couldn't tell you a thing about him.

In between? Meh. Westhead, Dunleavy, Del Harris, Tomjanovich, the Mikes, and a bunch of other short timers.

But that is the nature of coaching in today's NBA. Look at the number of coaches that have changed over just the last few years. I am almost positive Popovich is the only coach and the Spurs are the only franchise not to make a coaching change in the last 5 years.

therealdeal likes this.
  5. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    the new buzzword in the NBA....analytics...

none of the outsiders know exactly what a team does with numbers...nobody even knows exactly what the common stuff is...

I always hear "on the analytics side of things"...and I know exactly the person writing or speaking has no idea what he is talking about.

according to 99,9% of the people talking about the Aldridge presentation, that they have BTW NOT seen in person...the Lakers SUCK at analytics or so they say...yawn

If analytics were to make basketball decisions, teams wouldn't pay millions to coaches. They would sign a psychiatrist and call it a day because the basketball decisions are made by numbers.

I've heared so much BS this last few weeks that I'm kind of cracking up whenever I read something.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  6. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

BS was .484 with Paul and .304 with Irving. Not sure I'd use the word success there. Even with the Nets, he was .317 before Kidd got there with a good team to bail Scott out in the terrible eastern conference then.

But yeah I agree. It's what he wants, a set-and-forget general on court. Remember that he also thought he was getting Lebron when he took the Cleveland job.

7. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Yes, and yes, pretty much.

therealdeal likes this.
  8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah we've actually struggled to find great, great coaches over time but there's really not a lot of them out there honestly.

Right now we could go get Thibodeau, but is he really a great coach like the ones you named? He's got some serious flaws too. Offensively he'd be marginally better than Byron honestly. Thibs does all of the things Byron wants to, but does them better except his players end up mostly hating him by the time he's gone. Byron at least is a guy players typically like and respect as a professional.

I'm not sure who the next great coach is that the Lakers could get. If Carlisle becomes available, I'd hope it's him. There's very few proven names otherwise.

9. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    I'm on board with Byron, A lot of it has to do with his Showtime Lakers stint.Last years team was garbage, no one could have done better. Lets see how he does this year with some talent, raw talent, a big that can defend the rim for his pressure D, some perimeter defenders like A Brown, Nance, with Clarkson, A good PF defender in Bass. Defense is the name of the game, this is where Scott should prove his worth,the offense will come, especially with Kobe , Williams in the mix. This Princeton will be parred down as the season nears after they all learn the fundamentals of it.

Battle Tested20 and therealdeal like this.
  10. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

It's funny you bring up Thibs. I was super high on the Thibs train all this time. Then I watched the Lakers last season, saw how ugly our offense was and realized Thibs isn't an offensive genius in the slightest.

Watching Kerr in GS made me realize that some coaches just have "it" and other coaches don't. I still think Thibs is a great coach, but the last thing we need is another hard headed coach who knows everything.

If Thibs was cool with letting an offensive coordinator run that ship, I'd be for it.

I think Carlisle is a great coach. I don't know that he's in the same league as those 4 Laker coaches but hey. Who knows, by the time Dallas dries out with Dirk and co and begin rebuilding, he might want a change. We might be in that perfect position where we're no longer rebuilding but not good enough to compete.

therealdeal likes this.
  11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Carlisle's schemes are tailor made for this roster. He's exactly what we need.

JSM, pound4pound, alam1108 and 4 others like this.
  12. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I honestly wouldn't want Thibodeau either. He's a good coach, a very good defensive coach, but he runs players into the ground. I don't want our rookies playing 40 mins per game and getting worn out or injured, and Kobe being rode into the ground after a month. Thibs plays his players til they're falling apart, hobbling around out there. Not a big fan of Scott, but at least he'll play 10 guys.

Chillbongo, Kenzo and therealdeal like this.
  13. five6two

five6two - Rookie -

1st thing Byron needs to do is not rely solely on the Princeton offense. Run it in spurts or simplify it. You can't draft a fast paced point guard and then take the ball out of his hands.

Alcindor, Kenzo and therealdeal like this.
  14. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    I think analytics is extremely overblown (kinda like "small ball") but i do think there is a place for analytics in todays game and feel like the Lakers
    should get more involved with it.

therealdeal likes this.
  15. Weezy

I'm not big on analytics myself, probably because I'm not that smart, and I don't dissect stats to that degree. That said, I don't like what Byron said there at all. He doesn't believe in them? We're not talking about fairy tales, urban legends, Santa Claus, religion, or whatever. These are advanced stats, facts, data on paper, not something associated with belief. If you don't "believe in" spanking your children, good for you, if you don't "believe in" analytics, wake up and step into the 21st century. He also doesn't believe in the 3 point shot apparently, and that is also dumb, as it's a big part of the league these days, not a passing fad. The trying to hard to be "old school" stuff gets annoying. Yelling at guys to play harder, running hard practices, giving good team speeches, only gets you so far.

alam1108 and RasAlgethi like this.
  16. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    I'm sure he's basing his "non belief" on personal experience or others experience. Analytics offer value at the very least in providing objective evaluations that are impossible for humans to do as we "bias" every decision. WTS, bias in decisions is at the very foundation of most good dynamic coaching decisions. Analytics as a decision making tool alone is a wrong way of looking at it.

What analytics can do for us won't be a determinant in our success for a few years anyway. If used correctly, I can see a potential for it's use adding a few wins a year. I think it might be a few years before a few wins a year is meaningful for us unfortunately.

thkthebest and Weezy like this.
  17. Weezy

Well, that was a main part of my point. I know he's an old-school guy, but this isn't the NBA of the 80's, or even the 90's, you gotta adapt. Not saying he should change his entire style, but adapt, add new things, don't toss aside and dismiss analytics completely, use them as a piece of your coaching, add them to the big picture.

18. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

We all know Byron will stay for at least this season. I just really hope this is his last. I was never on board with the him and can't stand him even more now.

Kenzo likes this.
  19. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Analytics are valuable in the sense that there is no way to watch every single game and see every single player all the time.

Analytics are like a real estate listing. The listing can give you an idea of what the house is, but you have to drive to the house and take a good look up close to really know what's there. Analytics doesn't replace scouting a player up close in person and watching that player with your own eyes. It's a tool to figure out which players to take a closer look at.

I'm getting the sense that some teams believe that using analytics means they don't have to employ as many real scouts to watch the players up close. I don't believe that's a good idea. Perhaps that's what Byron disagrees with.

alam1108 and therealdeal like this.
  20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Byron likes boobs, so essentially, he's my kind of guy.

Just wish he was a better coach.

[​IMG]

alam1108 likes this.