Wmc 15/16: We are finally at the END! BYE BYRON!!!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Rockets just fired McHale after a 4-7 record yet we won't fire Scott after a 2-9 start. WAKE UP FO.

lakersyunowin, raviator and alam1108 like this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Well, to be fair, he has arguably two top 15 players, and they were in the WCF last year and actually added talent in the offseason. Scott's problem isn't the record. The record is expected. It's the direction of the team, the inability to adapt, etc. that make Scott the worst coach in the NBA. Replace him with Brad Stevens and this squad probably is 4-7 or 5-6. IT's not like we are talented enough to be 7-4 or something.

3. Lakers2015

I disagree. This team is talented enough to at least have a .500 record if we had a compatent head coach. How many games has Scott blown with his idiotic rotations? We were right in the games against Miami and Phoenix and then he put Bass back in at center and Lou basically playing PG and we got blown right out of the building. The Knicks game we controlled throughout and then went Kobe iso and lost a game we should've won. The Magic game if he had actually called a final play instead of a Lou Iso we win that one. Then we also blew that first game against Minnesota. There is clearly enough talent on this team to be in most of these games and at least win three of four of them that we should've won.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Completely different set of expectations and the two are not at all equitable. Until the FO starts getting a steady stream of news from the players that Byron is directly responsible for their poor play, he won't get fired. We could go 2-25 and I don't think the FO moves unless they hear loud complaints from the players.

The Rockets were supposed to be contenders. We were not supposed to make the playoffs. Just because we're underperforming even our modest expectations, doesn't mean Byron = McHale.

5. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

I would think with all the talk the team was putting forth about competing for the playoffs this record would be concerning. Hell even Mitch was talking playoffs. At this point that dream is slipping further out of reach. So unless they have a mindset of trying to turn this around something has gotta be done.
    On a side note I'm jealous Rockets have Bickerstaff as a backup.

ElginTheGreat and lakersyunowin like this.
  6. therealdeal

It's a different Bickerstaff. Bernie's son I believe.

7. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

You're right it is his son.

Still jealous.

8. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Agreed. Byron still will finish the year, we'll underachieve, and he'll be gone next year.

9. Lakers2015

I'm not saying Byron equals McHale, but this is a much improved roster than last year yet they're on pace to win about the same amount of games maybe even less which is absolutely inexcusable. I don't think they should have to hear loud complaints from players to realize this guy can't get it done. The evidence is right in front of them.

10. therealdeal

I'm not disagreeing with Scott's performance, but there's way too many factors that go into this than just what Scott is doing on the floor right now.

1. We already have a shaky reputation with coaches. We fired Brown early, fired D'Antoni before his contract was up, and we passed on Phil Jackson. Firing Scott mid-season means there's zero job security here. No coach is going to jump at the chance to coach a rebuilding team in a tough city with proven limited help from the FO.

2. The FO went all in on Scott. They marketed him as the guy to lead us into the new future. Sure he sucks, but how bad does it make them look that they gave so much fanfare to him and then they fired him? Pride shouldn't be a factor, but it will be. Not to mention for the next coach we bring in who presumably ISN'T tied to the franchise's past, how much support will he have from the "Laker family"? If they're willing to fire one of their 80s stars after a couple bad years, how quickly will they turn on him or her?

3. As much as we're rightfully complaining, and as unlikely it is that Byron will turn this around, it hasn't even been 15 games yet. It's a long season. Houston firing McHale is a big problem for them and it points to them NOT turning things around...

11. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

^2. But will the FO fire him in the summer or let his contract run out, which is another 2 years. Wouldn't firing him later still have the same effect as firing now, albeit a lesser blow I guess.

12. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

It's something to think about but I don't think it will be as bad.

I can also see us spinning this and potentially moving Byron some place in the organization to soften the blow.

13. therealdeal

Giving him the whole year goes a long way, it's what they did with D'Antoni even though both sides knew it was a doomed marriage. Byron at the end of this season will know he's not the right man here and the FO will have a frank discussion with him. They can "mutually part ways" like Don Mattingly or Mike D'Antoni or the Lakers will fire him.

And that's a great idea @ElginTheGreat . They could simply move him into the FO as a "promotion" and have a free spot available.

14. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Exactly. They can make it seem like it was mutual, etc. There are a lot of ways to soften the blow if you do it during the offseason.

You do it now and there's no way to spin it. You canned the guy you said was going to save the franchise.

lakerjones and therealdeal like this.
  15. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I don't think he's reporting on Lakers anymore. I still follow him on twitter and he mainly covers MMA fighting or and boxing.

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    What about crusty old Utah dude Jerry Sloan? Might be a good teacher, but not sure he ever plans to coach again. Seemed to lose interest after losing wife pretty quickly. I'm sure this new generation sounds fun to coach...

Still like Van Gundy myself...

17. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Rondo with another triple double and 4th of the season. When he's in a position he wants to be the dude plays some ball.

Could have had him multiple times now. At least he would have told Byron to sit the eff down and eat some splinters sprinkled with grit with a tall glass of man up in the foxhole.

18. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

He's on a one year contract isn't he? Maybe he's auditioning for a spot on the Lakers next year. And honestly I know he has issues but he would be a perfect mentor point guard wise for Russell.

19. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Yep. One year deal. We should seriously be looking at adding him next year.

Rondo / Russell
    Clarkson / Lou
    / Young / Brown
    Randle / Nance
    Hibbert / Black / Upshaw

Ummm yes please? Plus a new coach.

raviator likes this.
  20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

No thanks to Rondo. He'll get injured anytime now, or he'll have teammates or the coach mad at him. He couldn't work with doc, he couldn't listen to Carlisle, I pity whoever our coach would be that has to deal with him. Good player, but alway hurt, wrecks teams' chemistry, and going to be 30 already. Rather go with Russell and a better backup.