Wmc 15/16: We are finally at the END! BYE BYRON!!!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Jun 21, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I don't see the win as a problem. Outliers will happen.

I'll take the win so that I don't have to see this team lose 11 in a row and make another new Laker lowlight.

I still fully expect this team to win less than 20 games and be in the bottom 2 teams.

LTLakerFan and shoe like this.
  2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

The win doesn't worry me much in the tank ranks just because I think it's the only one we're going to get this whole month. I enjoyed seeing us fight and get over.

LTLakerFan, therealdeal and Cookie like this.
  3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I know. To win 20 games would mean we'd have to win 10 more...that would be 10-21 which would be a winning percentage of 32. Our current percentage is 20. I don't see us getting a 50% increase with the toughest part of schedule still in front of us.

4. therealdeal

Exactly. We're not likely to win a lot of games moving forward so winning one now? I'm fine with it. Let me feel good once in a while for goodness' sake. :D

LTLakerFan, lakerjones and Cookie like this.
  5. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

I kindof wanted that magical number 11 in a row because while that 1 extra win isn't much quantitatively, it holds serious weight emotionally and qualitatively as a "all-time low to be remembered", something Byron couldn't wash off his resume. Ya feel me?

6. shoe

shoe - Rookie -

Yeah, i'm just happy to get a win for once.

Combine that with a throwback Kobe game/the youngsters playing well....I can't complain about last night.

LTLakerFan, lakerjones and Cookie like this.
  7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I don't know. Am starting to expect, as I just said in Tarik's thread, what's to stop Byron after All Star Break to make him look like, "see I told you so I would have them learning the Laker way of winning .... it just took time" (and look at me) ........ and now he's trotting out DAR and Julius in the starting lineup again and giving Nance, Black and all of those who really deserve it meaningful minutes to win games. We should have been winning more all season. And we lose the pick. ??

Edit: OK just got to therealdeal's post above (below :p ) and seems he and you guys don't think we have anything to worry about for Tank #3 bottom 2 teams? Other than Boron winning a lot more after the break and him then coming back?

I don't see the win as a problem. Outliers will happen.

I'll take the win so that I don't have to see this team lose 11 in a row and make another new Laker lowlight.

I still fully expect this team to win less than 20 games and be in the bottom 2 teams.

8. therealdeal

If Byron somehow matched our win total before All-Star break we're talking about 10 wins.

If we win 20 total games, we're finishing at best in the bottom three and I don't think they'll win 10 games the rest of the year.

9. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Have you see our next 10 games or so. No need to worry

Punk-101, shoe and lakerjones like this.
  10. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I get what you're saying but an 18-20 games loosing streak would look awesome on b0rons resume. Guy should NEVER coach basketball again. On any level.

LTLakerFan and Punk-101 like this.
  11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I can care less about any meaningless victories. Keep tanking...

Punk-101 likes this.
  12. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    We need to win in order to make upcoming FA's look our way, but if we win Byron might keep his job another year.

We're in a pickle whether you want to admit it or not.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  13. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

No we don't. Every single player in the NBA knows we're a joke. It doesn't matter if we win 15,20 or 25 games. We need to get rid of b0ron asap and pray for a miracle in the summer.

LTLakerFan and Savory Griddles like this.
  14. Savory Griddles

I feel like Clipper fans no doubt felt about a decade ago.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  15. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

We aren't going to win enough games to justify keeping Boron. If you look at the upcoming schedule it's brutal. We just eeked out a nail biter of a win against the second worst team in the West and they had injury issues. We're not going to suddenly turn it on and start winning against better competition. Boron is still on course to end up with the WORST RECORD in franchise history. You don't reward that unless he was never going to get fired anyway and this talk of the rest of this season being a trial is just hogwash from the FO. He needs to go barring some miracle situation where he strings together a lot of wins in a row. Not happening.

16. therealdeal

I know this is the WMC thread, but you guys are devaluing the Lakers just a bit. :D

I'd like to see the young guys playing 30+ minutes, winning a game or two against good teams, and having good vibes going forward. There's pretty much nothing to justify Byron sticking around. The only way you're going to even get your second tier guys is if we look like a half-way decent option. No one is going to leave a playoff team to play for a s*** hole. If we look exciting and make some decent noise going into the summer, then maybe we get lucky with a FA.

I'd rather have that (and the fun that comes with it) than a tank. Even now. It's not we're going to win a bunch of games going forward. We might win 10 more and that's a stretch. We're going to be one of the three worst teams in the league no matter what. Might as well see some progress while we're at it.

SamsonMiodek, LTLakerFan and Juronimo like this.
  17. LaVarBallsDad

I want the worst record this year, though. There's a difference between finishing with the worst record and second record this year; from an odds standpoint, our odds are increase to about 64%. Right now, they're at 55%...the more lottery balls the better. Here's another little tidbit; historically, the team who finishes with the worst record hasn't lost a pick outside the top 3 since 2009. Finishing 2nd doesn't have the same odds nor luck. Not to say this isn't a crapshoot because I will admit it is; but I'd much rather take my chances finishing with the worst record rather than the second...

Winning meaningless game in February isn't going to change our fortune this summer. Keeping our pick just might...

18. Savory Griddles

I agree, but our kids need these games for their development. I'll take a 9% less chance of keeping the pick if it means our current trio of youngins doesn't break under the sorrow of losing constantly.

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  19. therealdeal

Or me as a fan. :D

Agreed though. I'm not going to get upset about a win every 10 games. If we go on a win streak, that's a different story I suppose. I'd still prefer seeing progress from the guys we have which means hopefully proven NBA talent gives us a shot than tanking. However, I also know that tanking is basically an inevitability anyway so it's all good.

20. LaVarBallsDad

Gotcha. I hear you. I don't think they'll break, though. Russell, Clarkson, and Randle in particularly have a lot of self-belief in themselves. I'll take the chances of losing more games in an already lost season and would rather go into June with top 3 pick, salary cap space, and more flexibility to improve the team.