Who Will Be The Casualties Of The Lakers Tax?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Rock, Feb 13, 2021.

1. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

Enjoy this 2020-2021 Lakers squad and appreciate them. Very low chance we will be able to keep this band together.

Check out this article on big contract/roster decisions awaiting for the Lakers due to the tax penalties. Eric Pincus had a lot to say

https://syndication.bleacherreport....ext-season.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Have a feeling teams are not going to dish out $80 mil for unproven THT in a pandemic. He's a dazzling talent with a lot of potential but still very raw. He would be one of my highest priorities alongside AC.

IE Lakers likes this.
  2. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

losing THT would really suck. you can tell the talent is there and i'd be surprised if he doesn't blossom into one of the best 6th men in the league

if i had to get rid of one it'd be kuzma

3. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Lakers fans can "fund crowding" this amount . Haha

4. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

They have a whole season to figure it out. If THT continues to improve you could see them jettison KCP.

I'd say the other most likely is Harell. You can find centers/PF on the scrap heap nowadays. This sort of like the NFL where RB and linebackerrs are reduced value vs WR and lineman. Even if a player is more productive it's harder to find a replacement for a 3 and D wing in this league

IE Lakers and abeer3 like this.
  5. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Most people would probably be OK if losing Kuzma, but he's your tall, long wing defender. Losing Trez is bad, because he scores a lot and is your 1st big off the bench. You'd have to sign a cheap C, who will struggle to score 8PPG. It's going to be tough.

6. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Right now I'm feeling the most likely to lose would be Schroder. KCP, Kuz and Trez are all on pretty decent contracts. Well Trez is a bargain really. The other two are paid what they are worth. The problem with Schroder is that from what we've gathered he wants to get paid big for numerous years and he wants the starting PG job which he honestly isn't that great at. Those are issues. The other guys play their roles extremely well and are good values. The money that would be tied up in Schroder you could use to retain Caruso, THT and re-up Trez when the time comes. That's $ better spent IMO. Sorry DS.

John3:16 and LTLakerFan like this.
  7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Isn't Harrell on a player option for 2nd year? Wonder if he would choose to not test the market, if that's the case?