What Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by GNC, Oct 6, 2014.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    :Shaqfunnyface: And they couldn’t come up with something better than the existing flat earth map? Used for centuries before their formation? Seems like a lame attempt if true. Other explanations are more interesting.

2. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I don’t even know what that means.

I wasn’t aware flat earthers were some well-organized group that have had a collectively agreed upon version of their own map for centuries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azimuthal_equidistant_projection

But seems like it would make sense for them to chose a legitimate projection of the 3D earth onto a 2D plane as “their” map.

And also would make sense for the UN to use the same image in order to represent all the countries. I doubt the people deciding the logos were aware that some fringe group of loons also identified with that map.

Sorry if that explanation isn’t interesting enough. Occam’s razor.

Why do I get the sense this “documentary” was on TikTok?

:Shaqwink:

SamsonMiodek and sirronstuff like this.
  3. sirronstuff

Tiktok is for kids

:Laugh:

there are actually some incredible resources on the topic, but I would really prefer not to take the thread off topic.

but I will say it’s a fascinating research topic if one chooses to go down that rabbit hole.

4. Helljumper

Student
    I was so ready to go down that rabbit hole if only the Lakers had acquired Kyrie :(

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Sorry I just saw this. IMO if you aren’t hooked by season 2 then season 3 isn’t going to change your mind. I absolutely love the Boys, it’s clever, we’ll written, excellently acted, the stories are so interesting, it’s the anti-Marvel. It’s got some of that game of thrones level suspense as well because the bad guys are psychos and anyone at any time can just be killed. But yeah if you’re not feeling it by season 2 I can’t see 3 changing that. The stakes in season 3 are higher for sure though, and there are some fantastic developments and storylines, great additions to the cast, twists and turns, and so many laughs. If you at least enjoy the show I say keep watching though, because 3 probably is the biggest and best season yet, so you may indeed love it.

I’m also watching House of the Dragon, and while not personally a huge game of thrones fan in the end, I am liking this show a lot. Excellent cast, love Matt Smith, and liking how so far it’s really been about the politics of the world above all else. Also been watching the new season of the Orville. I think it’s the best one yet, I’ve always been a very casual Star Trek fan but I’ve been getting into it more as I get older, and this show is up that alley, very well done.

ElginTheGreat, Helljumper and JSM like this.
  6. Helljumper

Student
    So ended up zooming through Season 3 and finishing it last night. I think part of what stagnated my progress earlier wasn’t so much that I wasn’t hooked by the show, but moreso because I was also trying to juggle catching up on MCU shows (probably not the best decision on my part).

As a disclaimer I did very much enjoy the show, but can’t help leaving Season 3 with a lot of nitpicky criticisms.

Overall, I guess based on some of the hype I had heard, I was hoping it was going to be on the tier of Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul, etc. I.e, the pantheon of television. But it wasn’t quite on that level. Which is fine, nothing wrong with a TV show that is just “good/great” instead of “elite”. (For what it’s worth, Succession is the only other show I’ve seen in the past several years that I’d put on that elite tier).

My specific issue with Season 3 is that I felt like by the end, not much actually happened. The whole season was building to using Soldier Boy to take down Homelander, but by the end Soldier Boy is back in the government’s control, Homelander is still unscathed, Maive looked like she sacrificed herself but is still alive, Butcher had apparently taken fatal doses of Temp V but is still alive, the rest of The Boys still in tact. Annie “quit” Vaught, but for the most part she’s already been operating as a member of The Boys through most of the series.

You brought up the comparison to GoT where anyone can get killed at any time. I get where you’re coming from, there have definitely been some sudden deaths that have been jarring, but in retrospect it feels like that was mostly for side characters. Like through the finale of Season 3, I realized I didn’t feel that tense because I felt that the main characters have plot armor and will be fine, and ended up being right. I actually think the show would benefit from killing off a major character to make the stakes higher.

Also, I don’t mind the social commentary and politically I agree with the show’s stance … but I felt this season it started to get a little distracting with how on the nose they were with the comparisons. Felt it could’ve used a bit more subtlety.

7. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

New season of Yellowstone (2 episodes so far) just started. Highly recommended.

Henry_Hart and JSM like this.
  8. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    *patrick bateman dot gif*

sirronstuff likes this.
  9. Helljumper

Student
    The Last of Us!

It’s my favorite video game of all time so I went into the first episode with cautious optimism, and am glad to see that they knocked it out of the park and clearly showed a lot of respect to the source material!

10. sirronstuff

so many to choose from

trodgers likes this.
  11. Helljumper

Student
    Anyone else watch this show?

I feel like it was an absolutely perfect adaptation. IMO, my favorite video game of all time legit just became one of the best TV series in recent memory

But I’ve been particularly curious to hear how watchers of the show who hadn’t played the game are feeling about it. What I always loved about this story is the moral dilemma that gets presented by Joel’s final decision. I still go back and forth to this day on where I stand

alam1108 and SamsonMiodek like this.
  12. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    I seem to qualify :p. Haven't ever played the game and just finished the show yesterday. What I liked the most - the main characters, the acting (!!!) and yes as you mention the difficult to assess moral aspects not only with respect to the final decision but just in general - just about every person in the show has some dark side to them. I tend to enjoy shows, movies and books with non-perfect main characters and non-completely evil "bad" ones. Whichis is probably why Gran Torino and Gren Book will forever be one of my favorite movies and I absolutely love Abercrombie's books.

Anyway, IMHO a great show and I'm looking forward to season 2. Will there be one? :D

Helljumper likes this.
  13. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I never played the game. Here are my thoughts:

Episodes 1-2: nothing new or especially interesting
    Episodes 3: one of the best single episodes of any show I've ever seen
    Episodes 4-6: fan-tas-tic
    Episode 7: important character building
    Episodes 8-9: fan-f***ing-tastic

ElginTheGreat, alam1108, JSM and 2 others like this.
  14. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I haven't ever played the game.

I loved the show. I thought it got better and better as it went along. Great world building and a master class on introducing a character and making you care about them within a single episode.

I completely understand Joel's final decision and likely would do the same. Especially considering that things didn't seem clear cut to me on the supposed "solution." Trying not to spoil anything and I don't know if the game was clearer on this, but the scenario presented to Joel seemed like a gigantic maybe to me verses the clear sacrifice he would've had to make.

Overall, an easy new addition to HBO's great shows. My only concern is that I've heard the game never really brightened up. Not sure how many seasons of doom and gloom I'd want to tune into before I would feel like "okay, that's enough of this."

I'm in for now though.

Helljumper and JSM like this.
  15. Helljumper

Student
    Succession landed it’s ending and cemented itself somewhere in my Top 10 shows of all time

16. sirronstuff

My wife signed up for Disney Plus, and got caught up on some of the newer seasons for Star Wars stuff. All of them were entertaining. Kind of fun to see them filling in the story. I've seen where some didn't care for them much, but overall, I can't complain and find them entertaining. Haven't bothered with anything animated yet. Not sure that's of interest.

I haven't heard of Succession. I'll have to look it up.

17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Did you watch Rogue One …. a prequel to the first movie in theaters way back at the start. Really good and a little grittier with the battles & top notch effects / good story. I got turned onto it this year in March.

sirronstuff likes this.
  18. sirronstuff

yes, I saw that one when it came out. Overall, I think they've done a pretty outstanding job. Nothing has been as bad a jarjar bing haha

I did think Solo going back to running freight was a little lame. But the origin of his name....

:Laugh:

19. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I just finished this the other night. The character building and acting was top notch. I could have done without so much salty language.

sirronstuff and Helljumper like this.
  20. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    They nailed the ending. Fantastic show. The relationship between Tom and Greg was the highlight for me. Comedic gold without trying too hard.

JSM likes this.