Transgender Men Competing In Women's Sports

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LTLakerFan, May 3, 2023.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

YMMV but I hate that if one hates this new reality that's allowed in many sports now one is called a "hater".

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trans-ideology-let-mediocre-men-163427482.html

"I don’t know what makes me angrier. The fact that Killips only took up cycling in 2019 and now, without any apparent embarrassment, presumes to race against females who have dedicated their whole lives to becoming one of the best women in the world at their sport. Hour upon hour of punishing practice since the age of seven or eight, with your parents making huge sacrifices, and some guy ingests a bit of oestrogen, applies mascara, jumps into the saddle and Bob’s your auntie! All their efforts are mocked, cruelly derided by that arrogant p----.

Then there are the smiles on the faces of the two runners-up. What can they be thinking? Marcela Prieto, who is the actual winner of the women’s race, is obliged to act pleased that the male-born Killips has stolen the prize money of £8,000 for finishing top plus an £8,000 bonus. In my book, he – and please note I choose my pronouns with care when a person has yet to transition – is a thief pure and simple, taking what is not rightly his. Yet, female competitors risk being cancelled if they protest. To hang on to their woke corporate sponsors, they must play along with this mortifying charade.
    "

The Showtime Mamba likes this.
  2. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

There was that transgender swimmer that set records in the women's side after competing against them. In the male section, he was going nowhere.

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I believe there is a photo of he>she, Lia Thomas, if that's whom you're referring to, and it's also talked about in the article. Look at the size.

[​IMG]

4. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I think that anyone who thinks there are easy answers here isn't taking the issue seriously enough.
    There's so much nuance, from recreational to competitive contests to what's at stake in terms of prizes and accolades to whether it's a private or a public body at work hosting the event.
    There seems to be no ultimate "way this should be" without social context behind the competitions in question.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and TIME like this.
  5. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I agree fully with the idea that "there's so much nuance" regarding this issue from a social / personal perspective. From a sports perspective it seems exceptionally clear to me. The larger context makes the issue obvious I think. There are no females who are transitioning and then seeking to compete in male sports (at least with any competitive advantage). All of the advantage is to the males who transition and then seek to compete in female sports. This story is as old as Renee Richards in the 70s, who was a good but not good enough tennis player to go pro as a male. Once he transitioned he was top 20 in the world as a female competitor.

In his later years he reflected on his career and came to recognize his advantage over his female competitors, and said this, "Having lived for the past 30 years, I know if I'd had surgery at the age of 22, and then at 24 went on the tour, no genetic woman in the world would have been able to come close to me. And so I've reconsidered my opinion."

The Showtime Mamba likes this.