To Serve And Protect

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by Barnstable, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

@davriver209, like I said before, your department might be awesome, you also might find out some officers are racist after being there for a while, I don't know, but stories like below do exist in significant numbers across the country. These are some officers that were dumb enough to text this stuff to each other. How many others aren't stupid enough to get caught:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/montgomery-county-ohio-deputies-racist-texts

If this was just friends messing around, I would think these are not funny, but if no one cared and thought it was joking among friends, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The investigators and at least one of the black cops that were sent some of these texts said this was not jokes between friends.

2. Barnstable

Getting back to this, I've been looking for the past few days for any data that is significant, and I can't find any. The problem is i can't find any numbers about how many of the reported crime committed by blacks is committed by a repeat offender within that time period. So for instance, you can find stats saying 48% of crime X is committed by blacks within X number of years, but it doesn't take into account if it was someone that committed the same crime multiple times within that time period.

The only thing I could find was a stat saying the number of blacks in the population of the US= about 42 million in 2012, and the number of blacks arrested in 2012= 2.6 million. Year over year it seemed to be about the same.

Punk-101 likes this.
  3. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

I couldn't find anything good either. I was just wondering if there was any data that showed blacks commit a disproportionate amount a crime compared to other ethnicities, and that's why people tend to prejudge and assume ANY black person, even in a suit, may be more likely to be a criminal. I'm not saying that I think that's the case. I just wonder why people view blacks as criminals.. cause they clearly do, unfairly or not. Do blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime? idk. the media sure portrays that.

4. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

5. Barnstable

I think that's typical rhetoric in an attempt to invalidate the topic.

Pretty F'ing disgusting to listen to actually. Saying that the President shouldn't talk about this is saying it's not worthy of discussion as a problem in this country. And some wonder why the hash tag #blacklivesmatter exists.

6. Barnstable

This police chief has driven down violence while also driving down police violence issues in his department. He should be commended for not towing the line and admitting there is a problem...

http://www.contracostatimes.com/wes...-prominent-participant-local-protest-against#

7. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    There's always room for improvement. And Law Enforcement will always continue to evolve as society does. We're not perfect, and we will never be perfect (just like everything else in this world). With that being said, departments are changing their policies now due to recent events. I still feel for the most part, Police Departments hold themselves to a very high standard and will continue to do so.

Having said that, this was never a race issue, but more of a police (training) issue. I don't like the media or protestors turning this into a racist issue. It just continues to perpetuate the "racial gap" all media outlets refer to when covering these things.

8. Barnstable

So apparently, undercover police officers were inciting looting and property destruction in the Oakland protests. The undercover officers were California Highway Patrol.... why would CHP be under cover in a protest? The answer. There is no good reason other than to incite rioting and frame the protesters as violent.

To the credit of the Oakland Police Department, they didn't seem to have anything to do with this, and they seem to be just as mad about the incident as protesters. The Oakland PD Lieutenant in these tweets has been tweeting about the incident and he seems to be very concerned.

@davriver209 I don't expect you to answer for all these corrupt police actions, but keep your eyes open. Things like this exists within some departments. Don't let yourself fall for defending criminals wearing a badge.

9. Barnstable

Two great stories:

10. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    Yeah, sadly i can't defend all the agencies. Sometimes shady things do happen and must be addressed, never denied that. So I wanna shift gears, holidays are coming up and I'm trying to get approval to do a little bit of christmas joy spreading and take some toys to some kids I've met on duty.. They want to let me, they're just afraid of liability issues. I swear one thing never changes in any line of work.... bureaucracy

Barnstable likes this.
  11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419168705.058200.jpg

Add the two cops that were executed in New York.

Now you have gangs in Cleveland with orders to kill white police officers.

FreeThePeople likes this.
  12. Barnstable

That's terrible, but being police officers doesn't have anything to do with it. Other people have gotten shot as well since the Michael Brown shooting, so it's not a police thing.

Maybe they should stop police on black violence and then they wouldn't have to worry about being targeted.

See? Does that properly illustrate how terrible and insensitive some of your arguments about all these police shootings have been? ...I hope the sarcastic nature of my comments above was obvious.

On a more serious note, I don't know about the stories about the officers on that graphic, but the police in NY were shot by someone that was just crazy. He killed his girlfriend before shooting those police for gods sake. Any argument blaming the protesting as the cause for those two NY cops death is about as valid as people protesting guns or video games as being the cause of all the school shootings.

Mentally imbalanced people do things like that and any reason they say for why, isn't validated or invalidated by the words of a crazy person.

13. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    [​IMG]

Yep just crazy. He just killed two police officers randomly. Crazy or not, he knew why he was killing those two cops.

And as for my arguments being terrible and insensitive, I made two other posts in this thread. One trying to explain how non-black people associate all blacks due to 1 bad apple in 5 good ones and the other a cop drug out in the woods and murdered with a comment about where is Obama. He spoke for Trayvon, he spoke for Mike Brown and Eric Garner, but nothing when it's the other way around.

The only event that gets national attention is when a white person kills a black person. Stories of cops being killed by people regardless of color only makes the local news, black on black crime and gangs killing each other no one bats an eye to. All races are being killed everyday, no one can breathe and until the national media stops stirring the pot and actually uses their platform to put a stop to any person dying instead of increasing the hate towards one another, there is going to be a lot more people who can't breathe.

14. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    i know how all of this could be solved... quit putting themselves in positions for cops to have reasons... simple as that... and if a cop does talk to you... just listen and be truthful and quit acting stupid.

15. Barnstable

@Doc Brown My comment wasn't directed at you Doc, although I understand how that could have been misconstrued. I was trying to speak to those in this thread that made those arguments, not you, but I jumped from referring to your post to speaking to those that made the arguments I was parroting without a clear break in who I was talking to. Sorry for the confusion.

As for the only events getting national coverage is whites killing blacks, you're right. But the uneven media coverage is about the least important aspect of this whole thing. I consider the facts that these killings are happening in the first place as much worse than the coverage. The numbers of unarmed blacks being killed as the first police response? How about a less than 4% indictment rate among officers brought up on charges when there is normally a 99% indictment rate for a killing?

That worked really well for John Crawford when he was standing in Walmart talking to his girlfriend on his cell when cops rounded the corner and murdered him. I'm sure you would be cool with being executed for just standing in a store holding a bb gun he was going to purchase from the store, and never even pointing it at anyone.

Also, just in general, it amazes me how insensitive people are to this. If your family member was killed under some of the circumstances from these recent killings you would not be so damn callous and caviler about the police killing them. People don't deserve to die because they weren't 100% compliant to the police. Then again, if you're not black, you probably don't have to worry about that anyway.

16. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

Truth! Only thing I would change is "The human race is being killed everyday". By thinking that race exists as opposed to acknowledging that people look differently yet are still the same race (humans), racism won't end and neither will negative prejudgements towards people that look different than you.

17. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    Another shooting in Missouri. This time caught on video. The suspect pulls out a weapon (Gun) and the Officers shoot him. A day later, riots ensue again. I don't get the logic behind the riots...

18. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    Either these people are very ignorant to the profession, or agencies have failed to properly educate citizens on how deadly force is applied.

19. Barnstable

For every person that refuses to rationally look at the facts of a shooting and just automatically sides with the police, there is one that refuses to rationally look at the facts of an incident and automatically sides with the person that got shot. Both are wrong.

20. Barnstable

@davriver209 please read this.

Follow this link for the video: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/23/us-usa-police-nypd-race-insight-idUSKBN0K11EV20141223

Racism in the police force even amongst the officers does exist. Black officers are confirming how often they feel racially targeted and how they can't report it without retaliation. You seem like a good guy dav and the type of person we want to be an officer, that's why I want to impress upon you that this s*** is real, it happens, it can even happen in your department, and stay woke so that if you do encounter it happening to yourself or someone else, you don't fall in to the code of silence. Good cops, which are the majority, can't let this kind of thing go unchecked.