To Serve And Protect

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by Barnstable, Nov 25, 2014.

1. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

They discuss the idea of reforming the police force into an agency more similar to the fire department and eliminate police patrols. They don't speak too much about other alternatives such as posse and sherrif, which may be more appropriate for cities with low income and high unemployment.

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    40 min! Summary please

:Laugh:

LTLakerFan and revgen like this.
  3. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

Police need to be certified/licensed/trained/educated just like teachers, nurses, doctors, etc. Reform is needed and adequate training is needed. Less police = more lawlessness.

4. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Just let the Democrats experiment on their constituents, I want to see what happens to a city without police presence.

sirronstuff and John3:16 like this.
  5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

We need more training and education, and we need MORE police. More police equals less crime which equals more business. Crime infested areas will never flourish from a business perspective if people are afraid to run businesses. If business can't flourish, then these areas will continue to be low income and the cycle will forever perpetuate itself.

6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Hilarious, I wonder if after he hit those people if he went and pahked the caah in Haavaahd Yaahd. Boston accents make me cringe.

Helljumper likes this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  8. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Wow, and as soon as he says he hit them with the car, the cop with the bodycam turns around and seems to signal that the camera is on. So when he turns back, he starts trying to change his story acting like he didn’t actually hit anybody as he nervously stares off in the distance hoping this footage never comes back to bite him.

That in itself is part of the problem. There is no accountability. The so called “good cops” back up the bad ones. It seems fundamental to their work culture. Protect each other over the public.

9. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

What you're seeing is literally less than .00001% of all police interactions. You can sleep well knowing that the least of your problems involve a police officer. Or, you can continue blaming police officers for everything going wrong in the world. The overwhelming majority of police officers are doing their job appropriately. I see police officers help people all the time that would never reach the media. I've seen police officers run straight into the WTC to rescue people when it could have collapsed. Many did but they did so willingly. Yet, those officers are never celebrated. Instead you guys pinpoint one bad police officer and then act like they're all in association with him. Stop overreacting over one incident. Everyone supports getting rid of bad police officers so you continuing to push the police officers against the world is some ignorant take.

10. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Never indicated anything about blaming police for everything going wrong in the world. Seems you made up that .00001% number considering clearly this isn’t just one incident. We’ve seen things like this time and time again, how many similar incidents have we simply not seen?

But you’re right, the way I worded that suggested I feel negatively about all cops which doesn’t represent the way I feel. There are a lot of good cops. But there needs to be more accountability within the police force and their culture of defending/covering up for each other needs improvement. Glad we seem to agree on that.

11. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

Nearly 60 million police encounters every year. How many of those do you think end up with someone getting hurt, killed, or unfairly treated? I would say much fewer than 1%. What a cop wants to do but doesn't do isn't something you can control. There isn't a simulation you can do to decide whether they are fit for the job other than what they have shown. When a police officer stops a person, they don't check for their party affiliation so this has nothing to do with politics. Democrats and Republicans both hate bad cops but one party, Democrats, tends to blame police officers as a whole. Society would not exist if police officers weren't present. I think most people forget that huge important aspect because of a bad police interaction.