To Serve And Protect

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by Barnstable, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Didn't even hear about that. If he told a mob to burn things down he needs to be punished in some way. I don;t know what the rules are for inciting a mob.

2. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    I'm glad we can debate this without tempers flaring. My friends are going insane and have really tried to entice me to argue with them. I guess the best way, is to role play. Put yourself in Wilson's shoes and follow how the events unfolded. What would you do, realistically, I want no BS.

Barnstable likes this.
  3. Barnstable

BTW @davriver209, what do you think about cops wearing cameras? This whole thing wouldn't even be in question if Wilson just had a camera on.

4. Barnstable

I was actually just doing that a little. They say Brown was 35 feet away when he was shot, so I wanted to see how far 35' really is. I walked it out in my living room and what I thought was about 35' was actually around 20'. That's a huge freaking distance.

Regarding the rest, I don't believe Wilson's story because he contradicted himself in his description of what happened. First Wilson says he started talking to Brown to tell him that he and his friend had to walk on the sidewalk, he said he didn't know Brown just robbed that store, but later Wilson said he positioned his car to stop Brown from getting away.... getting away from what? J-Walking? Why would he be trying to stop Brown from getting away if he didn't know about the store?

Second, Wilson said he was getting beaten so bad that he thought he was going to pass out. Bull s***. Did you see the pictures? He barely looked like he got touched. He had a very light black eye and his cheeks were a little red. That's about it.

So I can't put myself in Wilson's shoes because I dont believe his side. What I think is that Brown probably was just as violent as he says, but Wilson is covering his a** for the things that he could be in trouble for, because I think he's lying about some of it to make himself look like the angel in all of this.

Daloyalfan18-Brandon likes this.
  5. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    That's one of the misconceptions. He was 35 feet from the cop car. The officer had followed him for a distance. In the interview with Stephanoplos (spelling) he said he was about 15 - 20 feet away. Not far when someone is running at you and you just got molly whopped by him a couple times. And he's been shot, so adrenaline is definitely at an all time high (for both of them).

6. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Lady in the white hat is Mike Brown's mother.

7. Barnstable

^He said it in anger and grief, but there's no excuse if it seems the crowd actually listened to him and burned things right after he said that.

@davriver209, do you know the law for inciting a mob/riot? I'm curious as to what the criteria is

8. Barnstable

The police chief said the entire scene was 35' from the car door to Brown. That's what I was going off of... but it seems both of us were wrong and it was actually somewhere from 160' to 180' from brown's body to the SUV as the distance was actually measured by reporters. Maybe that's why Wilson shot so many times and missed so much, because he was much further away than he said he was. Alternatively, Wilson could have been closer to brown in which case he would have had to have gotten out of his SUV and chased Brown down the street some before shooting him. Either way, they lied about the distance unless I'm misunderstanding something.

9. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer

It's not verbatim, but it's when an individual entices a group of people (2 or more people), to maliciously and intentionally destroy property, or cause harm or violence towards other. Something like that. The Step Father could easily be charged with that, I'm sure they won't pursue charges though. When that happens, the police come and try to disperse them (which is a lawful order, whether or not your part of the mob). If you fail to disperse, the law gives law enforcement power to use different methods to disperse the crowd (gas canisters, commands, special riot units). If the mob gets to a point where they could potentially cause great bodily harm or death, cops are allowed to use deadly force. (But they rarely use deadly force here during riots, it'd be mayhem).

10. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    its amazing if he only listened to the cop... none of this crap would of happened.. he would of just been arrested for robbing a store instead of being buried... but no.. people wanna be all hard headed or act stupid

Doc Brown likes this.
  11. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    I'm all for the body cams. I think that's as transparent as you can get. But I believe it should be used only for an investigation of something such as an officer involved shooting. Not to see what the officer had to say about his/her sergeant. So long as the video is used for the scope of a certain investigation, I'm all for. But if it begins to lead where Officers have to become robots when they are interacting with each other, I'm against.

Barnstable likes this.
  12. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

@John3:16 @Barnstable

Yeah, we're in pretty damn deep with guns. But in order for us to try to turn that around, it has to come first from the government. Why would the people do it? If anything, the people need guns to protect themselves from the government. The government (aka police force) has to give up the guns first.

John3:16 likes this.
  13. Barnstable

I totally agree with you. Maybe they can store the video in a secure site where it's only accessible through official case related requests like an investigation. Whoever requests it has to ask for an exact time period. That way it only gets pulled for a purpose and not to just monitor cops 24/7.

It think it would solve both of our side's problems because we would always know what happened unless the camera "malfunctions" before hand. But I doubt that would happen much because I don;t believe police in these cases are planning things like this Mike Brown killing to happen.

14. Barnstable

As much of a pacifist as I am, I don't think that's the solution. I do think your earlier suggestion to make an effective, non lethal weapon is best, but I don;t know if they haven't done it yet because it's not cost effective, they don't care about killing, they just can't figure out one, or a combination of all those.

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Or guns are an enormous industry and any weapon that cuts into that is both costly and undesirable from a large industry. Similar reason why we don't have better fuel emissions. :D

Barnstable likes this.
  16. Barnstable

Barbaric and probably true.

"Screw all these live we could save, there's money that can be made"

17. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Well isn't that the case with fuel?

Barnstable likes this.
  18. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    I suppose that could be true, but I really doubt that the US Gov't will try to create this country into a true police state. And to be honest, I'm all for guns being legal. I think the more good people carrying guns (and being trained properly, eg.. ccw, shooting lessons, etc..) will create havoc for the bad guys. The "mass shooters" would be killed way before they could even become mass killers..

19. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    "We were not after Wilson's job," civil rights activist the Rev. Al Sharpton said in a written statement. "We were after Michael Brown's justice."

Shame on you Sharpton. Your ignorance will perpetuate the violence. A man with that sort of intelligence should know when to let it go.... He's still trying to score more followers, and he's using this incident to do so.

20. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

Fighting violence with violence? Where does the problem end? I'm sorry but that's wrong. I support gun use for hunting nonhumans, but other than that, we need to put the guns away. Period. And yeah, it's doubtful that the US Gov't will stop using guns, but the only way they will is if the people make noise for it to happen. Right now, people are so absorbed in the idea that the "white" cop killed the "black" man because he was racist. I say we focus on the very fact of killing as an atrocity. Racism is an idea that generalizes people based on the way they look. Maybe the reason we have these bad generalizations is because they are based on some merit, because the "black" communities today are still largely influenced by drugs, crime, and violence. If this was an issue of violence more than racism, then the violence might start to die down and so would the generalizations of racism. I say this is a problem of violence, not racism. And you don't fight violence with violence, that's counterproductive. You fight violence with passionate peace.