The Official X's and O's thread

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jul 15, 2015.

1. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

At this point I would take calling coaches up from D league and handing out 10 day contracts until something stuck if that was even possible.

Your team coming out not firing on the second game of the season with no discernible plays is on you Byron. My childhood support of you as a player is waning now you are our coach. What is the point of coaching defense, at least MDA gave us Offense (on the courts and his obnoxious interviews).

:SadPau2::KobeConfused::Headpoint::MitchReally::SuperSmushFail2::Mindblown:

sirronstuff and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  2. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

I agree on the lineup change. But I would leave Clarkson in, we need someone in the starting lineup that can decently create their own shot. I would replace Russell and Randle with Huertas and Bass. The two rookies need to develope and I think coming off the bench against other second units would help. You have Huertas who can promote ball movement and I think Bass will do better against power forwards instead of centers.

3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

The actions are simple and the spacing is a bit off, but no one stood and watched after the first PnR or the later post up. Instead, they moved with a purpose, going straight into the next action and keeping the defense occupied, and Randle made an excellent bounce pass to the cutting Kobe.

trodgers and alam1108 like this.
  4. LaVarBallsDad

There has been a lot of handwringing over the Lakers’ offense. I know, I have been doing it myself. And while I stand by my criticisms of how the team’s worst tendencies have been too present to start the season, we are beginning to see a slight shift in how the team attacks.

Since the Nuggets game, the Lakers have been running more quick hitting actions, getting into their sets faster, and using more integrated pick and rolls throughout any given set. This has all led to a more fluid looking attack. Granted, the team has played two very poor defenses, but I’ll take any progress I can get.

But even when the team has been running some of the actions they have been running all season, the execution and attention to detail has been better than what we saw in the preseason or the team’s first few games. An example of this was a Triangle action from the Brooklyn game on Friday night:

This is basic Triangle stuff. Rather than start with the normal guard to guard or high post entry of the Lakers’ Princeton sets, Russell pushes Clarkson to the corner and dribbles to the wing. Hibbert then fills the post to set up a sideline triangle. Russell then enters the ball into the post with both he and Clarkson executing top and bottom side cuts respectively.

The next action is one the Lakers have run a fair amount this year, though to a different result. When Russell cuts top side, he sets a cross screen for Kobe who comes off the screen into the paint. Earlier in the year, it would normally be Randle who is in Kobe’s spot and Hibbert would look for his frontcourt mate ducking in to get a short shot inside. This option was, typically, the only one explored out of this set.

This time, though, when Kobe comes off the screen, Russell’s man tries to disrupt any attempted pass to Kobe flashing by stepping into the passing lane. When he does, Russell quickly recognizes it and slips back door to make himself available for a pass. Hibbert, reading the play just as Russell has, drops off a perfectly timed pass to Russell who gets a layup. Two points.

This sort of incremental growth is good to see. Note the interchangeability here. On this play, Clarkson isn’t the other guard in the two-guard front, but instead is on the wing. Kobe, isn’t on the wing (where Clarkson is), but is down low where Julius Randle would normally be. And Randle, with his perimeter skill and face up ability, is standing near the arc where Clarkson normally would be. Combine all this with a secondary option being explored and executed with good recognition and timing by all the players and it’s a small, but meaningful nod to the players starting to get it.

This is only one play, of course. And, through the first part of the season, I have seen several actions be broken out almost naturally and see them disappear not only in that game, but in future ones as well. But seeing the players execute this set was nice to see. And as a fan of the Triangle in general, it brought back some nice memories. Hopefully we see more of this play specifically, but more actions like this in general where the team explores more options — and seamlessly — more often.

Cookie and alam1108 like this.
  5. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

I like some of the added wrinkles. The biggest problem with the Princeton is it is so slow developing especially for such a young group. I like the fact we're getting into our sets quicker. Seemed like to me at times we were just running one action. Last night we ran secondary and even a third if needed. You gotta have different varieties if you wanna be a successful offense. It's not always gonna be there on the initial set. Russell in college was one of the better high screen and roll guards and attacking off of them and reading the defense. They go under he'll take the shot. They show hard and he'll drive to the rim.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Silly guys, there aren't any sets....just manning up and playing harder.

:Headpoint:

Cookie likes this.
  7. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

It took awhile but I have finally figured out Byron's substitutions. He has this little roulette wheel in his pocket. He gives it a spin and whatever number it lands on is the player he puts in regardless of the situation or need.

Cookie likes this.
  8. sirronstuff

9. sirronstuff

[​IMG]

No one man has ever inspired me so greatly....

LTLakerFan, Kenzo, Cookie and 5 others like this.
  10. LaVarBallsDad

11. LaVarBallsDad

12. LaVarBallsDad

13. LaVarBallsDad

Over-helped and dug down last year as well leaving shooters open; so, our 'youth' on the team can't be blamed entirely for this problem. It's mostly schematic, IMO.

14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

So much drifting... awful.

15. therealdeal

Well it's clear coaching is an issue, but they also have pretty awful awareness in general. Not a good combination.

edit: and that's to be expected by the way. Young folks take a while to figure out the detail work and knowing where guys are going to be and when, etc.

16. LaVarBallsDad

I'd believe that except it's happen everywhere Byron has been before...

17. therealdeal

I'm not saying it's just Byron or just the kids. It's a combination of both.

18. LaVarBallsDad

Russell, Clarkson, and Julius. Agreed. When they're not put in positions to succeed, it compounds the problem. They're also not developing good habits because they're not being taught well.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  19. therealdeal

I don't disagree with that. Byron was brought here as a teacher and he's not done much teaching at all apparently.

Cookie likes this.
  20. LaVarBallsDad

I'm just frustrated. Either way, on a positive note, I like the way Scott is bringing along Nance. I also like the way he's been flexible with Julius letting him facilitate, bring the ball up, and initiate the offense. I can't wait until A. Brown comes up; seems like another rotation player down the line...