Terrorist Kills 50 And Wounds 53 More In Gay Nightclub In Orlando

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 12, 2016.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It's been confirmed that while he may not have officially joined ISIS, he was certainly influenced by them. He called 911 himself and spoke out in support of ISIS and even named the brothers responsible for the Boston Massacre as idols of his. Sadly, many people who knew him knew he was unstable but nothing ever came of it. One of his co-workers even reported that the man spewed hate and exhibited violent behavior on a nearly daily basis. The FBI investigated him twice, but neither investigation came up with results and nothing came of it.

On the human side: the blood banks in Orlando were flooded with donors looking to help. Some waited hours to give help to the victims of the attack. There were even blood banks that were up to capacity which is a rare occurrence. This is the kind of people I think we are. This is why I still believe in humanity.

Weezy and Barnstable like this.
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Lest the doomsdaying win out, remember that we live in the safest period in human history. There is no better time in our past.

3. therealdeal

Part of the issue honestly is how easily things are reported now. With the Age of Information the veil is pulled back from a lot of crime and problems and issues that in past generations would have gone unnoticed.

Barnstable likes this.
  4. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I don't think my parents had to fear the possibility of being mowed down along with dozens of their friends or coworkers, all in a matter of seconds, just for going to a movie theater/club/school/work.

I don't know if you have some stats to back up the claim that we're in the safest period in human history, but it certainly doesn't feel that way when there's seemingly a new mass shooting or terrorist attack every week. And I don't think it's just a matter of these things being reported more frequently. They never occurred at this frequency before as far as I know.

Maybe we're "safer" because advances in science/medicine are protecting us from disease and allowing us to live longer. Maybe gang violence has decreased. But in terms of the possibility of an average person getting randomly killed for senseless hate by a terrorist or mentally unstable person, it doesn't feel like we're safer.

Not trying to spread doom and fear, but I don't think this issue should be marginalized as something that seems worse than it is just because the media is reporting it more. I just don't think that's true. Something is seriously wrong and something needs to be done.

ZenMaster likes this.
  5. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
  6. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    It's called fearmongering. And the "availability heuristic." Your read in the situation is based not on logic and/or statistics. It's based on news reporting.

John3:16 and Weezy like this.
  7. Helljumper

Student
    Just skimmed through those articles so maybe I need to read them more attentively, but I couldn't find any mention about these types of mass killings being on the decline. Pretty sure I read some things yesterday saying the exact opposite, that mass killings are occurring much more frequently.

That article made the argument that shootings and terrorist attacks are blown out of proportion by the media since overall on an annual basis, more people die by things like bee stings and deer attacks. I don't agree with that line of logic and I think it undermines how tragic and deplorable these senseless acts of violence are.

If this is just fearmongering, would you suggest we just brush it off and that it would be illogical to enact gun control policies or policies that attempt to curb terrorism?

8. Helljumper

Student
  9. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Completely disagree with this.

You can empathize with those who lost love ones and still make the point you want to make. There needs to be a sense of urgency and often that only happens with events that are both recent and significant.

10. therealdeal

A sense of urgency to help the people who are hurt? Sure. A sense of urgency to rush to make an uninformed and emotional decision? No. That's wrong. Overreacting to events with sweeping statements without knowing all the facts is an enormous mistake of this generation. Making sweeping, generalized statements within 24 hours of the event just means you're going to make reactionary decisions that may or may not be true.

It's been a couple days and there's STILL facts coming out. We still don't know everything. Why would you want to make any decision or statement without all the facts?

John3:16 likes this.
  11. Azndude2190

I don't need to wait for the police investigation to end, to state that gun violence in this country has become ridiculous and that something needs to be done. I mean for **** sake, less than 24 hrs before this club shooting, in the SAME city, an innocent young singer was murdered for no reason, other than she was alive and the guy was deranged.

People were saying not to rush into judgement without knowing all the facts after Sandy Hook, San Bernardino, Charlestown, Columbine, etc. Well the common denominator between all these are the easy access of firearms. I doubt this Orlando shooting will be any different.

If these kind of political debates make you feel uncomfortable because of the timing, well too bad.

12. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

That would be all nice and mighty if I lived where you live. I don't, as you know.

Where I live, these events are an almost "every day" occurrences, so... there.

13. therealdeal

You know I don't understand or appreciate your tone. If you didn't come off so high and mighty about your opinions maybe there'd be some legitimate discussion. Your need to turn this into a political debate instead of showing any sort of empathy or sympathy for the people who were slaughtered is a pretty sad insight to your mindset. You literally haven't said a single word in here about the tragedy other than to spread your political agenda and it would have been nice if we could for once keep things level headed instead of flying off the handle. If you want to debate this in the gun violence thread, I'll see you there.

John3:16 likes this.
  14. Azndude2190

People like me demanding action instead of offering empty prayers and condolences are showing the most empathy and sympathy.

I already offered my condolences when we had threads on other shootings. I'm tired of repeating the same thing over and over again. Why is it that we have to move these discussions? They are completely relevant and if someone else on here wants to make the completely opposite point and argue why we should have more guns they should be free to do so also. If they want to make a point on bigotry against gays, or the threat of Islamic extremists, they should, and they shouldn't have to deal with people saying they are cold and calculating.

Helljumper likes this.
  15. therealdeal

That's a horrible thing to say.
    So calling my thoughts and prayers meaningless is NOT cold? Really? That's pretty tactless. When a loved one dies, I'll still pray and keep them in my thoughts even if you think it's meaningless and empty. Another sad insight into your mentality if that's the way you need to rationalize your behavior. Who are you to tell me that my thoughts and prayers are empty? That's so disrespectful.

Why do we have to move the discussion? Because we have a section already specifically designed for these discussions. You want a link to it? Here you go:
    http://lakersball.com/forums/politics-religion-and-philosophy.7/

I hope that helps.

You've really created a negative environment for this thread that I was truly hoping wouldn't happen. I hope you're satisfied that you got to push your political agenda on people instead of respecting other people's opinions and intentions. This was meant to mourn those lost and to find more information about a tragedy, but you think your opinion is so important, that to hell with it right? Your burning need to spread your agenda is more important than following rules and being civil. This is precisely the reason I didn't want to get into politics in this thread and I'm ashamed it came to this. I wouldn't go to your office, sit across from you and push my opinions in your face when you asked me not to. It's called courtesy. Please try to show some next time.

16. Azndude2190

I PM'd you.

therealdeal likes this.
  17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Sports bring people together, and politics divide them. Some forums choose to not even have such topics for this very reason.

Our own individual solutions to senseless trauma like this will be impacted by our upbringing, socio-economic background, religious beliefs, age, life experience and more. One person's solution may sound like rubbish to another, but we are all at our best when we can hear other people out, learn from each other, and together create a more synergistic solution.

Strong arm tactics and insults are not effective. Unless in a gif format. Carry on.

John3:16 and Savory Griddles like this.
  18. Helljumper

Student
    Before I move to the gun violence thread (because this post really isn't about that), I gotta say I agree with what Azndude was saying. Sorry if you were offended by his tone real, and I don't want to speak for him, but I got the sense his angry tone was being more construed to the general reaction the public always has to these types of tragedies as opposed to you personally.

So again, this is not meant to be a personal attack on anyone specifically, but towards this general mindset.

But what is the point of these threads if not to discuss the clear problems highlighted by this tragedy? Just another place for us to all say the same thing? Have a thread where every post is just "my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims" so we can feel better about ourselves? Like in my first post in this thread, I wanted to discuss the issues behind this tragedy but felt obligated to say the whole "thoughts and prayers" schpiel for fear of offending anyone or having you guys think I'm cold hearted. I don't think that's right. That's not to say I don't genuinely feel terrible for the victims and wish the best for their families, but I've done that mourning both privately and through other outlets. It's almost like a checklist where we have to go post condolences on Facebook, Twitter, and every other online community we're a part of pretty much just for appearances. When the very act of "thoughts and prayers" are inherently private in my opinion anyways.

Again, I'm not trying to demean your condolences personally. Some might feel that the very act of publicizing your condolences, putting your thoughts and prayers into writing and pushing it out there for others to read, makes them more powerful than keeping them to yourselves, and spreads good vibes to others. I get that. I don't get the idea that is the ONLY type of thoughts we should be allowed to write about immediately after something like this happens.

I'm not saying to rush to snap judgements and enact policy based on that. We're not politicians, we can't do that. I'm just talking about discussion. Which, in my opinion, there has been sufficient information to discuss pretty damn soon after this happened. I don't think it's an overly emotional snap judgement to think something needs to be done when 50 people are killed by an assault rifle by a mentally unstable man who pledged himself to ISIS.

Azndude2190 likes this.
  19. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

The reason why this thread is supposed to stay away from any gun ban/law and religious talk is just because it's in the Open Court section of LB and not the Politics Religion and Philosophy section.

People generally know what topics might be controversial and what topics probably aren't. On CL, some people didn't want to read arguments and heated discussions in the Open Court, but everything was kind of jumbled up in the OC. Now we have a place where we can share our thoughts in general, and another where we can share our thoughts about topics that might be inflammatory, so if people don't want to participate in that kind of discussion, they don't have to.

If you go into the Politics Religion and Philosophy section you know what you're getting into instead of walking into big debates and arguments sprinkled across a bunch of topics in the OC.

I understand why this topic might bring up discussions that are controversial, but that apparently wasn't what real was going for in creating this thread.

20. therealdeal

^ That.

My opposition to that discussion was not an opposition to that discussion. It was an opposition to discussing it here.

I made the other thread already and there's other threads on religion and everything else. If you want to debate that stuff, do it in those threads. It's what it's there for.

John3:16 and Barnstable like this.