Tank Tank Or Tank Tank Tank?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 21, 2017.

?

To Tank Or Not To Tank?

1. Tank.

39 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. Don't tank.

16 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. Fine with either outcome.

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Most of the time? That's an exaggeration and I don't need any sort of glasses to know that.

Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I can at least pt to every gm an instance he gets back doored or runs right into a screen leading his guy into wide open 3....if his guy is in front of him with the ball he is better but he easily gets beat when his guy plays off ball.....his current def rating is 115, this team is full of bad defenders but this is one of the worse on the team

3. therealdeal

Can you point to a majority of plays in the game?

gcclaker likes this.
  4. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand

Team defense. If he doubles the man with the ball, it's up to his teammates to cover. That's a team defensive approach. Sometimes the guy who looks out of position or who's man scores isn't the one who screwed up. Also, pointing to an instance every game is unfair. Most players have at least one lapse per game, especially 19 year old rookies who were in high school this time 2 years ago.

gcclaker likes this.
  5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Im not using that pt to say hes going to be bad forever, just trying to make a pt that theres no guarantee draft picks turn into james, durant, westbrook etc. just cause they're high draft picks

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

he has a defensive rating of 115, this team is full of bad defenders but that is one of the worse on the team, people here say Young has been doing better on D but he has a defensive rating of 116. My pts isn't to make him look bad, just saying all these people keep saying this draft is loaded or that draft is loaded. People were saying Russell was going to be Curry like, the only thing Russell has in comparison to Curry right now is the PER36.

7. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I agree there's no guarantee. I thought your point was that he's bad at defense and I disagree. In fact, I think his defense has been a huge surprise.

therealdeal and gcclaker like this.
  8. therealdeal

So you haven't watched a game and found a majority of plays when he was regularly out of position defensively? Because you changed gears to his defensive rating.

And yes people frequently exaggerate the draft. I don't think anyone is really exaggerating this thread amongst knowledgeable people. Everyone agrees this draft is deep with NBA players, but not deep with stars.

gcclaker likes this.
  9. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Nobody has compliations of it...you watch for it yourself, the defensive rating at least backs up some of my pt....just focus next gm how easily ingram opponents can get around him when they play off-ball

10. therealdeal

I've been paying attention all year. He loses his focus occasionally. I wouldn't say anywhere near most of the time. Nothing out of the ordinary for either a 19 year old or a rookie let alone both.

gcclaker likes this.
  11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    not sure why I find this so funny, but I do

jimbusstank.gif

Juronimo, tada, therealdeal and 5 others like this.
  12. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Jim was an efficient tank leader. We can't deny him that.

sirronstuff likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

someone in this thread seems to believe they're dropping truth bombs, when...they're really not.

14. therealdeal

Okay I've brushed up on DraftExpress's Mock draft in the 1st round. Their list is different than mine, but mine goes:
    1. Fultz- All the tools. He can shoot, defend, create a shot, pass the ball, he's athletic, he's young. He plays within himself which limits injury risk which I think is an important point. The only real question is if he has the head and heart to be a great NBA player and it's a legitimate question.
    2. Ball- Despite his problems (including his dad which is weird), Ball does a lot of things at a level others simply don't. He'd be our PG of the future while Russell moves to SG which might be more natural for him. His vision is fantastic, his angles are good, he's athletic. He can hit that weird shot from distance.
    3. Jackson- My favorite thing about this kid is that he makes winning plays. I love his energy. Add to that his Swiss army knife ability to contribute across the board and he's very interesting. I'm not sure he'll ever be a star and his frame concerns me, but whoever gets him will get a hard worker who wants to win.
    4. Isaac- I like Isaac for a lot of the same reasons I like Jackson. He has a unique physical profile (although a smallish frame) and he's a guy with a lot of heart. He's got all the tools to be an effective role player (which could be a starter still) somewhere. He's not as versatile as Jackson.
    5. Smith- He's a smaller, older, worse version of Fultz, but he's more athletic. I have the same questions about him as I do with Fultz, but he's a talented kid. He's got the athletic tools to be a handful defensively, but I'm not sure that's his MO.
    6. Tatum- I think honestly he's better than Smith, but he's a terrible fit for the Lakers. Tatum is a fantastic isolation scorer. He reminds me of Rudy Gay a ton with maybe a little bit of Paul Pierce in there with Tatum's footwork. He's athletic and he should be a very good player, but I'm not certain he fits with LA.
    7. Monk- I like Monk a lot. He's really got a Jamaal Crawford-ness about his game. He's going to score in the NBA and he's got a little bit of other guard ability in him. I'm not sure what his mental makeup is, but if it's even decent I think Monk will be a 6th man type of bench scorer in that Crawford/Lou Williams mold.
    8. Fox- I think Fox is a little underrated in this draft. He's an excellent PG defender. I still think of Patrick Beverley when I see him and most would think that's a low ceiling, but hey Beverley is a starting PG in the NBA. Even if Fox isn't a starter, he can carve a niche as a high octane bench defender.
    9. Markkanen- Most people love Markkanen, but I'm not sold. He's a deadeye shooter, no question, but I don't know that he's good at anything else. He hasn't proven to be a good defender, he hasn't shown the ability to create, and he really should be a better rebounder. Still a 7 foot shooter is definitely valuable.
    10. Frank Ntilikina- He's a lot like Exum was a few years ago. If Exum never existed, Frank would probably be higher. Most of his problems are from lack of experience. He could be the next guard version of Giannis or he could be... well the next Exum and take too long to develop. He's definitely a big project, but the upside is legitimate. He's tall, long arms, good athleticism. At this stage, I'd take a flier over the crop of big men coming up.
    11. Miles Bridges- He's got some stretch 3/4 in him. I think a modern comparison might be Marvin Williams. Honestly I'm not a huge fan, but I could see him having a decent NBA career. He's generally a smart player and even if he's not an explosive athlete in traffic, he knows how to position himself decently.
    12. OG Anunoby- I love me some OG. The guy is very, very limited in a lot of ways but he's an absolutely ideal 3&D candidate. He makes winning plays, is mature on the court, and has that strong, athletic body needed to defend at the next level. He's not going to get you many assists and his ceiling is low, but I've got a good feeling he's going to find a way to stick in the league as a 3&D player.
    13. Justin Patton- Another guy I'm not in love with for us just because it'll be years until he's a real difference maker and I'm not sure he ever will get there. He'd do well to stay in school. He's got a good frame and the groundwork of a good game, but he needs a ton of time and seasoning.
    14. Ivan Rabb- He was highly touted, but I think he's plateaued right here. To me he's a bench player in the NBA. He's a little too small to deal with PF/C for 30 minutes a night, but he's a gamer. You might get lucky if he can develop a truly deadly outside shot, but I'm not sold.
    15. Rodions Kurucs- There's not much out there on this kid, but I see some great flashes. He's 6'8" and can shoot the ball, he's got a little bit of handling to him, and he's also 132 pounds. He'd likely be a stash either in the G-League or overseas, but he's got some real talent. He's worth the flier at this stage.
    16. Harry Giles- The kid has the goods to be a stud in the NBA, it's just about his health. If he could get and stay healthy, he's got Chris Bosh upside and I don't say that lightly. He can stretch the floor, he can pass the ball, he's athletic in space. I like him a lot, but his legs are a massive concern. Still, at this stage I don't mind taking shots instead of some of the other kids.
    17. Isaiah Hartenstein- You're going to hear his name a lot as the draft gets closer. He's got a really unique skill set as a 7 footer. His ceiling could be Jokic honestly, but I have my doubts he'll ever reach it. He likes to make the big flashy plays, but he struggles with the easy ones. Still, he's got good touch on his jumper, he's athletic for his size, and he has a solid frame. This is a project worth taking at this stage.
    18. John Collins- He's not as NBA ready as Williams, but I think he could end up better actually which is weird since he's older. I just like the way he plays more, but honestly at this stage you're splitting hairs on this bigger guys.
    19. Robert Williams
    - DraftExpress really likes him, but I'm not sold. He's 6'9" and decently athletic. He's got a bit of a Center's game in a PF body which is a bad combo in today's NBA.
    20. Bam Adebayo- I actually like Bam even if his game is incredibly simplistic. He's Dwight Howard in a worse body. He looks like Dwight, he plays like Dwight, but he's not the same caliber athlete. Bam is an explosive leaper, but not smooth like Dwight and Bam's reach is a lot shorter. I think he'd benefit one more year in college where he can put up some dominant stats and jump up into the Top 10 range.
    21. TJ Leaf- A stretch four in the NBA with a really, really old school game. Honestly watching him at UCLA a lot of times is like watching a tape reel of Wooden's teams. The footwork, the layup style, it really reeks of old school, but with a three point range jump shot. My favorite part of Leaf's game is his ability to affect the glass despite his lack of elite athleticism. I think he'll stick in the league as a stretch four, hard worker off the bench.
    22. Johnathan Motley- Honestly this guy is incredibly interesting to me. He's a tremendously smooth athlete at 6'9". I'm not saying he'll jump over you, but he glides extremely well with impressive hip mobility. He can't shoot enough so I wonder about his ability to fit in the NBA, but he could be a Varejao type of big man if he keeps developing. He'd be a very interesting mid-late pick in the 1st.
    23. Justin Jackson- He's drawn comparisons to Tayshaun Prince and I can definitely see that. I can also him being too skinny to make an impact in the NBA. He's a good shooter, not a great one. I wonder if he'll be able to keep up in the NBA for 82 games as a 3&D guy, but the potential is there. Older kid too, more mature.
    24. Terrence Ferguson- Honestly I'm not impressed. He's a heck of an athlete, but he's extraordinarily light. He's not smart. He's not a great defender. This is a massive project for a team. I'd say his ceiling is Terrence Ross.
    25. Tyler Lydon- He's sort of a Larry Nance Jr.-esque player. Smart and makes the right plays. He can't jump like Larry, but he's a better shooter. I'm not sure it's enough to stick in the league though. Lydon gets overpowered inside too often.
    26. Donavan Mitchell- Really talented kid, but sort of... dumb. He reminds me somewhat of Dion Waiters. There's some good talent here, but he's really got to prove to me he can play the game within a team concept which I sort of doubt.
    27. Luke Kennard- A little prissy for my taste, but a smart basketball player. He can absolutely shoot the ball and he's got very good vision. His challenge will be creating shots in the NBA despite very limited athleticism.
    28. Anzejs Pasecniks- A very interesting 7'2" prospect. He is incredibly mobile for his size, but he's also much, much too thin and weak. If he can bulk up, he'd be a formidable prospect, but he's already 21 years old. Can he do it?
    29. Josh Hart- He's not slated in the top 30 for Draftexpress, but I like him a lot. He's heady, plays smart, and wants to make all the right plays. I'm not positive he's an NBA player, but at this stage I'd take the chance he's smart enough to make it work.
    30. Jaron Blossomgame- An awesome name, but a good athlete. I'm not sure how long he lasts in the NBA as his game is not unique and he's not great at the not unique things he does, but who doesn't want an athletic, mobile big off the bench?

15. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Solid work.

You nailed it on the head and a huge reason why I prefer Ball to Fultz is the part about the head and heart. I have no doubt in my mind Ball has the head and heart to be a great NBA player. A lot of that certainly comes from his dad and having an extremely talented younger brother. He is fueled by pressure and competition. He is not without flaws but I think that his bball IQ, his drive/passion and then his skillset - specifically his willingness to be a pass-first player - makes him the ideal fit for the Lakers.

lakerjones and therealdeal like this.
  16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Have we heard from Jim yet on how much he has enjoyed his time in the family and thanking them for the years there before moving on?

sirronstuff likes this.
  17. therealdeal

I agree actually. I wrote earlier on how I think Ball would actually fit pretty damn well into this offense. That shot might be really ugly, but he can get it from 25+ feet which will give him plenty of room in the NBA. He can also get it as a spot up shooter in the corners. The part of the game offensively that Ball is bad (or at least unproven at) is pick and roll and Russell excels there. Our offense is varied enough that I think we could hide Ball's and D'Angelo's deficiencies better with them playing together.

I'd still prefer Fultz because he's just more all-around talented, but Ball is going to be a good NBA player.

lakerjones, EddieEddie and gcclaker like this.
  18. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

gcclaker and therealdeal like this.
  19. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

I watched the UCLA-ASU game... Ball also rebounds and has a knack for moving the ball up the floor via the pass without dribbling. He is unselfish to a tee...will play defense. Ball is a better athlete than Russell. Ball movement (no pun intended) will be really good pairing the two. Has difficulty separating from a good defender and has no mid-range game though I don't see him not correcting those issues. Coachable, levelheaded demeanor...

Fultz has a more refined game, better creator off the dribble but I would be fine with Ball given his intangibles.

therealdeal likes this.
  20. therealdeal

No sweat. I'm looking forward to looking at the 2nd round guys soon. Then I'll jump to NBAdraft.net and see if there's anybody obvious that I missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.