Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Star Wars remains dead, hell, it’s deader than it was defied, dead and buried, corpse dug up and beat again, buried after that. BUT, this was hilarious and I had to post it, because a piece of my soul died when I saw the power of maaannyyyy scene.

ElginTheGreat and TIME like this.
  2. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Star Wars has been dead since Disney took over. I’m with you 100% on this, Weezy.
    If I had a better relationship with my Brother(Design Supervisor on the Star Wars Feature Films), I would ask him his opinion.

ElginTheGreat, TIME and Weezy like this.
  3. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Yeah. As has been the case with every Disney Star Wars show aside from Andor, I’ve grown to dislike Ahsoka more and more over time. The Acolyte is a joke.

I did recently finish reading the Darth Plaguis novel, which was tremendous.

TIME and Weezy like this.
  4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    watched first episode of Acolyte expecting it to be absolutely terrible. I didn't see it yet, but again, I'm not hardcore. I just enjoy things for what they are. I've heard some people got lost in future episodes, so there's still time to be disappointed.

But nothing will compare to the originals. Just not possible.

5. Weezy

No, the first episode was pretty much fine, it’s just boring and poorly written, poorly acted other than a few characters. It didn’t get absolutely awful until the 3rd episode, that was probably the worst episode of Star Wars anything ever. Like I feel bad for the child actresses in it, they’re doing the best they can, with what is written especially, but they are awful, and it is brutal, it is cringe, and there has been plenty of SW cringe, but this is a new level. Space witches chanting and singing, some making hyena cackling sounds, whiplash inducing character changes, contradictory dialogue/actions, a mystery that’s not really presented well, and on and on and on.

SW used to be fun, it used to be an event, it used to be adventure, brave heroes, good fighting evil. Now it’s just boring, it’s dull, there’s no real adventure in this, there’s not a lot of light humor, good and evil are portrayed very ambiguously on purpose, it’s just not Star Wars. It’s people taking what George Lucas created and corrupting it, twisting it, hell even changing the canon of it in some cases. I’m just not ok with that, these people don’t respect what came before and they hate the heroes we grew up with, but maybe worst of all they just suck at telling stories and creating characters. It’s a lot of self insert stuff and putting the messages and politics of today in there rather than making universally appealing stories, stories with universal themes. And that’s not really only Star Wars to be fair, it’s pretty much all of Disney now.

But yeah if you could tolerate the show you’re fortunate haha, I can’t do it, they clearly don’t want people like me as a fan anymore, I’m no longer the target audience. I was telling my fiancé it’s like if they started making more Sex & the City content (one of her favorite shows), but they made the main cast all dudes, who just like hate women and go to bars and the gym and lift and talk s*** on them the whole time, go on dates just to hook up and lie to them to get what they want, etc.., and the original cast is there at the start, but they’re sad old divorced women with broken lives that have given up. Why would existing fans tune in to watch that? Why would you make that to drive your fan base away? How dumb would you have to be to turn that into a men’s brand? But we’re talking about Star Wars, one of the biggest brands in the world before they got ahold of it, paid 4 billion for it, and they’ve driven it into the ground. So maybe it’s more like if they tried to turn Barbie into a boys brand, I dunno, but it’s kind of insane and these people live in some weird bubble outside reality and continue to double and triple down on this.

:Kobe Shrug:

6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I hear you, and it sounds like many others share your opinions.

Weezy likes this.
  7. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

And then to put the Disney cherry on top, they call everyone who dislikes their garbage some sort of -ist or -phobe.

What Disney did was the equivalent of me buying the Morton's Steakhouse chain and changing it to a vegan restaurant. Ribeye steaks now made with black beans and jackfruit. All Morton's loyal customers that had been going there for years start to complain to me, and in response, I call them all animal murderers.

8. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I gave Acolyte a chance. It started out okay to me but just got worse as it went along. Its central story just doesn't hold up

9. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Same. I am very concerned that Plaguis is going to be teased in the finale and will be the next character they ruin. I recently read the Darth Plaguis novel and its one of my favorite pieces of Star Wars media ever. Every time one of these shows turns out to be bad I tell myself maybe its time to let Star Wars go lol, but then I watch the next one. Andor can't come soon enough.

10. ElginTheGreat

I know. I want them to get it right so badly but they always trip over their own feet even if the concept sounds interesting.

I will have to read the Plagueis novel now.

sk2408 likes this.
  11. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

A lot of these shows just feel cheap too. In Ahsoka they were supposed to be traveling to an entirely different galaxy. You’d think we would get some really trippy, creative sci fi landscapes and set pieces. Nope, the whole planet is just grassy plains and the stone temple.

The Plaguis novel is awesome, it sets up the political landscape of Phantom Menace really well and re-frames the whole Anakin Chosen One thing in a really interesting way. Can’t recommend it enough.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

The Acolyte cost 180 million... for 8 episodes of like 30-35 minutes. House of the Dragon Season 1 cost about the same amount and it had 10 hour long episodes and it looks BEAUTIFUL.

The ONLY explanation I can think of is they messed up and had to reshoot a lot of it.

ElginTheGreat, Weezy and sk2408 like this.
  13. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

HBO has some misses here and there, but by and large they just know how to make elite television. They've been doing it for decades now. Disney seems to still be having trouble translating their approach to streaming. I hate the sequels, but visually they were pretty strong. Certain shows like Andor and (IMO) Loki do a great job, but Kenobi, Ahsoka, Boba Fett and now Acolyte just look cheap.

House of the Dragon is really good at keeping their ammo dry for the big action scenes/set pieces. Like 80% of a season is conversations in rooms, which I assume are pretty easy to shoot. They can pull it off because the writing and acting is so strong that fans love those scenes too. There's an alternate universe out there where Lucas sold Star Wars to HBO instead. I can't imagine how f***ing awesome it would be.

ElginTheGreat, JSM and sirronstuff like this.
  14. Weezy

The Acolyte was absolute garbage, fan fiction trash. Worst of all though, it celebrated the Sith, it glorified the dark side and made the Jedi look evil. To give someone a TV show with a $180 million budget who thinks of Star Wars like this, who views Star Wars through this lens, the very opposite of Lucas’ message, is gross. This was legitimately the worst Star Wars anything I’ve ever seen, horrible writing, TERRIBLE acting (Amamdla Stenberg literally has one face for every emotion), and Headland trying to insert herself into the biggest parts of canon, make her stupid, awful twins an incredibly important piece of SW lore going forward. I’m going to watch Andor, because I liked season 1 and I like Rogue One, and then I’m out, f*** Disney, this is not Star Wars.

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

You hung in longer than I could.

After creating jedi by witch chanting, I had to go.
    [​IMG]

16. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Well it looks like Darth Plaguis is the next character Disney is determined to ruin lol. The Acolyte is the 2nd worst Star Wars show for me I think. Book of Boba Fett is less damaging to the core tenets of the Jedi and the Force, but the overall quality of that show was just so atrociously bad it has to stay in last for me.

The "actually the Jedi aren't so great stuff" in The Acolyte and The Last Jedi before it is so lame, unoriginal and frankly overdone at this point. They keep doing it like its some novel way of looking at Star Wars, but it was a major theme of the prequels. Hell, we get some of it with Obi Wan and Yoda's keeping the truth of Vader's identity from Luke in the first two movies. For all the faults of the prequels, they struck the right balance between highlighting the mistakes of individual Jedi like Yoda and Obi-Wan as well as the rigidity and complacency of the order as a whole, while also maintaining that they are a force for good in the universe and that even "well-intentioned" Sith like Anakin inevitably devolve into selfishness and cruelty. What we get from The Acolyte is just that the Jedi are either hypocritical (like Sol) or just plain corrupt (like Vernestra).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
  17. ElginTheGreat

The ending of the Acolyte wasn't just failing to stick a landing. It was completely crashing the plane. Granted, the plane that is Star Wars is barely flying at this point, but man, as low as I thought of it at first the worse it holds up over time to reflect.

It is really hard for me to process how badly this group has done this franchise. Not only do they not get the basics of Star Wars but they keep failing at basics of story telling.

Exploring the dark side of the force should be easy money and really cool. So many possibilities there and they just failed at every turn.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Weezy like this.