Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Andor is fantastic, every episode leaves me smiling at the end saying I can’t wait for the next one. Just brilliant tv, top tier Star Wars, finally something good has come from Disney SW.

2. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

It really exposes the non-existent writing in Mandalorian, BoBF, and Obi-Wan. Just a fantastic show, and probably the best non-OT Star Wars at this point.

Weezy likes this.
  3. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I'm fascinated by reactions to Andor. I heard only good things at first, and then my two good friends saw it and said that literally nothing happens in it. I'm going to check it out, but I don't have much momentum going for Star Wars vehicles at the moment.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  4. Weezy

It’s a slow burn, but if you’re a SW fan, if you like deep lore stuff, character development, great storytelling, I don’t see how you can’t enjoy this show. If you’re not a big SW fan I can see you saying it’s boring and turning it off, and I actually can agree the first couple episodes felt a bit boring at first, but you have to stick with it for payoff, it’s like a movie with a slow first 1/3 or 1/4, they have to do set up, they have to lay out this world and these characters so you can appreciate what comes next. I’m not referring to your friends at all when I say this, just audiences in general, we have become too impatient, want the payoff now, want to binge watch, want ‘splosions and big books, and lightsabers banging against eachother. That hasn’t made for good Star Wars for quite a while now, this SW is some of the best ever written and acted, it’s to me the best SW tv show to date. I’m on episode 10 of 12 this season right now and it’s gripping.

The title says Andor, but this is really a show about the rise of the rebellion itself, the Empire starting to reach too far, to become true evil that needs to be dealt with, it adds so much to the original films in that we are getting to see what makes the Empire so bad that they have to be defeated aside from just “bad guys bad”. You’re watching this unfold through Andor’s eyes, but it’s really about all the people in the Galaxy suffering under the Empire, shown in intimate detail on a level I don’t think we’ve seen before. If you liked Rogue One at all or you want to see the inner workings of the Empire itself, or ever wondered how the Rebellion formed you’ll probably like this. If you didn’t like Rogue One you still might like this if you enjoy well written tv shows with good characters and are interested in the other stuff I mentioned. For me this is the Star Wars I’ve been waiting and hoping for, one that doesn’t insult the audience’s intelligence or pander to us. I thought Book or Boba Fett and Obi-Wan were garbage, so this show has been a breath of fresh air.

5. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. Andor is a great show which i actually think worked better for me when I was able to watch several episodes in one day. Once it kicks into gear the set up does make sense and you're fully invested in the characters and what happens.

It's definitely worth watching. Because of that I also ended up checking out Tales of the Jedi and enjoyed that too.

D-Fish Man and trodgers like this.
  6. ElginTheGreat

The key thing to me is that they just reinforce what I've always thought and that is that they just need to focus on the stories first.

7. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible at this point with Lucasfilm. Corporations kill creativity. When giant corporations own these properties, movies and shows are made because they have to make them. They are made based on formulas and focus groups. Who is a popular character? How can we exploit that? Lucas made Star Wars films because he wanted to make movies and art. Say what you will about the prequels, but you could tell he had passion for the project and wanted to tell the story as opposed to having shareholders and a boardroom pointing a gun at your head demanding you do SOMETHING with the property in order to make money.

Marvel started with stories and art and a passion for bringing these character to screen. Now they're just pumping out product. Phase 4 has been completely aimless.

Weirdly enough, I actually have hope for the DCU under James Gunn more than I do Marvel. James Gunn is a filmmaker. He's a story teller who loves to create interesting characters. He isn't an executive.

ElginTheGreat and D-Fish Man like this.
  8. ElginTheGreat

Yeah I agree. You can tell the “heart” hasn’t been in many of the Disney projects and they’ve suffered for it.

I’m optimistic on Gunn. I’m also hoping that Marvel can bounce back in Phase 5. I feel like the pandemic really wrecked their plans and all the schedule changes and script rearites showed.

9. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Well, this is a positive development. The Rob Pelinka of post-OT Star Wars is finally leaving:

10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, the damage has already been done. The story and lore was fundamentally broken under her watch. Even if they did something as drastic as retcon everything done under Disney (which they won't), I still can't unsee Luke drinking green milk out of a sea cow's t**.

D-Fish Man likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Was just turned onto Rogue One on Disney+ and liked it quite a bit ..... story, writing, characters, the big brown droid, more gritty battle scenes and visually especially. But then as much as I liked the Star Wars franchise I would not consider myself an afficionado as many of you are. What was the consensus on this prequel?

12. Weezy

Rogue One is generally well liked, in fact it’s the only Disney Star Wars movie I do like. It was all downhill from there. Personally I separate George Lucas Star Wars and Disney Star Wars, Disney is not canon for me, it’s just “what if” fun in some cases, and laughable garbage in others. I like Rogue One a lot though, it’s the only Disney Star Wars movie that ADDs to the other films rather than detracting or damaging them.

13. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Rogue One is a fantastic film IMO. It shows more of the grittiness of the war itself and like Weezy said, it adds on to the already existing film and lore. It's the best star wars move Disney has put out by a wide margin IMO.

14. Weezy

Man, I had forgotten this even happened until recently. I love Lucas, but he did Star Wars and Hamill and the others dirty by getting them to sign on for a new movie, THEN selling to Disney when he had them. Apparently Disney wasn’t going to pay him a lot for it SW because he had nothing written or in development and no one signed on, so he got the original actors to agree then they paid the 4 billion. What a shame, Disney Star Wars on the whole has been garbage.

https://youtube.com/shorts/M04HBFOQ6O8?feature=share

LTLakerFan and ElginTheGreat like this.
  15. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Is the Rian Johnson trilogy still happening or was it killed? So happy to learn Kennedy is leaving. Rogue One, along with The Mando are pretty much the only positives since she’s been running the Franchise into the center of the Earth.

16. Weezy

There’s no way that trilogy happens if they want to make any money. Also I didn’t hear about her going anywhere, though she should have been fired years ago, and if she ever does leave that seals it that the Johnson trilogy will never be made. She’s a moron, an incompetent, and I think she either actively hates George Lucas and wants to destroy what he created bit by bit, or she’s just that bad at her job. Disney Star Wars is garbage, now they’re going to ruin Heir to the Empire as well by replacing Luke and the original characters in it with Ahsoka and such.

17. FrontOfJersey22

18. Weezy

Mike Zeroh is full of s***, he says some new crazy thing that never happens like 3 times per day. I have no idea how that channel still exists or has any followers, he’s been spouting nonsense for like 8 years.

19. FrontOfJersey22

Fair enough.

20. Weezy

Haha, sorry, didn’t meant to come off so harsh. I guess it’s genuinely baffling how he’s still around, I’m not sure he’s ever said one thing that came true. But anyway, yeah, I think sadly Kennedy is here for a while still, she’s already planning the stupid Rey movie and making tv shows or movies in the high republic era. :sick: