Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It’s good news if that happens, but I don’t know, there’s so many people that love the sequels for some reason. I guess maybe it’s their prequels, I dunno. The sad part is though that the originals characters were wasted and we can’t really get that back. Only really Ford got a decent story and send off, Mark’s was awful in the end and Carrie’s was unfortunate. We never got the final adventures we could have from these characters, instead pushed to the side for some really bland and lame new lead characters.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I didn't even like Han's. I mean, we followed him on a character arc throughout the OT that saw him go from a smuggler only looking out for himself to a war hero. Yet we catch up with him 30 years later and he's a smuggler again.

But the sequels aren't liked by as many people as we think. Disney knows that. And they aren't "their prequels." I know people like to make that comparison, but the prequels had a good story. It was poorly executed at times and the dialogue was cringe, but it expanded the universe and told a good story. The sequels didn't tell a good story. The story was nonsensical and instead of fleshing out characters from the OT like Vader, the Emperor and Obi Wan, it destroyed characters. I liken it to a house. The prequel trilogy was a house that had a good floor plan, a big back yard and great bones. But it had terrible wallpaper and ugly carpet. You can do something with that. It still can be made to look better because the foundation is strong and it functions well. The sequels are like a house that has beautiful flooring and a nice fresh coat of pain. But the houses floor plan is closed off. It's frame is covered in black mold behind the dry wall. There is a toilet in the kitchen pantry for some reason.

3. Weezy

Oh you don’t have to convince me, I love the prequels as a whole even though I know they largely aren’t good films. The story is there, it’s coherent and it’s closed out in 3 absolutely perfectly, that was some of the best payoff I’ve ever seen in a trilogy or saga. I think they’ve aged well also, I find TPM to be more enjoyable these days looking back, they used a lot of practical effects still on that one and it shows, all these years later it has a more OT look to it.

And I agree with you on not liking Han’s story either, I guess I just meant at least Ford signed off on it, clearly came back and gave it all he had and got what he wanted in Han being killed off. But it was lazy, it was Disney rebooting everything to just copy ANH in a safe way with new characters. If you go back far enough in this thread you’ll see I was not a fan of TFA, I left the theater after first viewing feeling almost nothing and it was jarring to me. My opinion never really changed, I never put it higher than any of the OT movies or Episode 3, and at this point I wouldn’t rather watch it over any SW movies other than 9. Right or wrong I left TLJ feeling something and enjoyed it for quite a while, but 9 made it irrelevant so I just don’t care anymore. I wish they could redo the sequels with someone who actually likes Star Wars and knows what they’re doing, but again, sadly it’ll never be.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  4. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    The Mandalorian is pulling me back in after I abandoned SW after watching the 2nd Disney film and never bothered with the last film or Solo.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  5. Savory Griddles

6. Weezy

Man they put the wrooooooong people in charge of the sequel trilogy. Episode 5 of season 2 was better than any of the movies released so far other than IMO Rogue One, which I love. Just beautifully shot, the animated characters brought to life did so much justice to their legacy, this is Star Wars done right, this feels like how modern Star Wars should be, it looks modern and clean, but it feels authentic.

Man Rosario Dawson killed it as Ahsoka, and Filoni has gotten miles better as a live action director from his first episode to this one. Cheesy, I know, but I felt a lot of emotion in this one, I almost shed a tear when Ahsoka refers to wise master Yoda while looking at the child with a smile. With one tiny mention of a name I instantly remembered all that happened with she and Yoda and the Jedi in the clone wars, it connects all this so beautifully. I can’t wait for what’s next, and honestly if this is how TV is going to be handled I’m not even sure movies are necessary anymore, this format lets the story breathe and it clearly doesn’t cut corners on looks and quality.

Oh, and please give me an Ahsoka show chasing down Thrawn looking for Ezra now, I need the conclusion to that story.

BigDan24 and Savory Griddles like this.
  7. Savory Griddles

I took her asking about Thrawn to mean he was around already, that she already found him and Ezra, that they were back from where they went. I could be wrong though. It sucks so bad that this show, no matter how good it is, will end in a universe that had the events of the sequels. This story ultimately leads nowhere since the Emperor is alive and Snoke and Kylo destroy the Jedi again. That trilogy needs to be retconned. I just can't get into this show as much as I want to knowing where this story leads.

8. Weezy

If they’re smart they’ll retcon it, just end the Mandalorian in an alternate timeline, the real timeline, the sequels were in the wrong one the whole time, a bad dream in the world between worlds. :D I don’t even care how many people like the movies, they’re a s*** story. The prequels got hate for bad dialogue and acting, rightfully so, but the stories were solid, and they remain so. The sequel stories ended up being garbage, a retread, and even undoing a lot of the point of 1-6, they need to undo that s***, just say hey we effed up, we’re moving on with Favreau and Filoni and this new universe is the real one. Hell, let Lucas shoot his 7-9 before it’s too late, or at least use his scripts and let him help even if other directors are behind the camera. I’m trying not to let knowing what is to come ruin any of this show for me, so far it’s mostly working, because the Mando’s story, Ashoka’s story, etc, these stories don’t have to blend into the sequels except for a loose connection, they can be there own thing thankfully, the sequel trilogy is at least far away enough on the timeline for that to be so. And I’m going to cling like hell to that, this is canon, sequels are not, it’s a bad dream.

9. JohnnyComeLately2k6

JohnnyComeLately2k6 - Lakers 6th Man -

Data Vampire Buckaroo
    [​IMG] :This:

10. Savory Griddles

I want to hit on this too. There is a difference between Star Wars fans and Star Wars Fans (with a capital F). A lot of people are fans. They like the movies, but they are just another set of movies to them. They have spaceships and pew pews. They have a basic understanding of the story. It's sort of like a tourist that goes to Italy a few times. Heck the tourist can even speak fluent Italian. But they don't know what it's like to actually live in the country. They don't understand what it's really like to go about your day to day business. This isn't about gatekeeping either. Capital F Fans welcome fans and love to tell them about the little things, sometimes to very strange looks like, "How and why do you know that?" What happened with Star Wars is the sequels were ran by Little f fans. They were ran by corporate overlords and their "Flashy Commercial Directors." The Mandalorian was ran by Capital F Fans. You wouldn't let a tourist that speaks Italian run Italy. Why did they let Little f fans run Star Wars?

11. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Simple. George got bought out and his vision thrown out the window.

12. Weezy

Wow episode 6, god damn I love this show.

I’ve been able to picture Boba Fett under that armor since the prequels, but this episode adds another layer to even the original films, he’s even more of a bad-a** now. That to me is fan-service done right. Also adds another layer to the lore with the Jango stuff and fighting in the Madelore civil war. How cool is it to see these prequel actors be able to come back almost 2 decades later and have playing these roles pay off even more. Makes me even more excited for the day the Obi-Wan show comes out.

13. Savory Griddles

I love that they had him in it, but when he put the armor on, I kinda wish they would have gone with a body double. His gut sticking out from under the armor was kind of silly looking and momentarily took me out of it a bit. But overall it's a great episode. Really great. My main complaint with the show has been it feels like they are just killing time and doing side quests. The last few episodes now feel like a real prestige television show. I am terrified that this is going to connect with the sequels somehow at which point I might bail on it. I'm really worried Grogu's blood is what will be the catalyst for making Snoke/Palpy Clone body. I really wish they would hire me at Lucasfilm. I honestly could fix so much of this mess. I have an idea that would probably make everyone happy...even the perverse Reylos.

14. Weezy

Maybe if they’re obligated to connect the originals to the sequels in the new line of tv shows they’re going to try to make the best of it. Like Clone Wars did for the prequels possibly. I don’t think they can do that good of a job, because the sequels are a mess story-wise, but maybe they will at least try to make them matter and make sense. My hope, if this turns out to be the case, is that they really stretch the stuff out in between, and we get like a Luke tv show or movies where we get to see him on adventures being awesome. But yes my ultimate hope is they ignore the sequels or make them non canon, but I don’t know I’m starting to think they won’t and I’ll have to mentally prepare to make the best of it.

15. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

Im more of a casual Star Wars fan but why is the Mandalorian better than the movies?

16. Weezy

Mainly because the people running the show love Star Wars and respect the characters and lore. It also doesn’t dumb things down for the casual audience for fear of confusing people, where it’s rumored the movies went away from bringing in some much lesser known characters in favor of familiar standbys. The movies were a soft reboot cash grab basically, and 9 was a fan service wannabe apology piece of garbage that tried so hard to not upset anyone it ended upsetting almost everyone and being more confusing than if they’d gone a more original route. One thing I’m referring to is the Son character from The Clone Wars was rumored to be the original villain of 9 played by Matt Smith, but some rumors say they changed it to Palpatine because people wouldn’t know who the Son is and would be confused. So instead of possibly getting an awesome deep cut villain really delving into the lore we got a nonsense return of Emperor Palpatine. Too many higher ups and execs get involved and meddle with movies, where the tv show seems to have tons more room to breathe, try new things and be it’s own thing. And that’s the short version honestly, I could go on for pages about why the Mandalorian is better than the sequels.

17. Savory Griddles

And then I could go on for pages more. I could probably make a 10 episode docuseries on the failure of the sequels. But I don't need to. Mr. Plinket, The Critical Drinker, and Mauler on YouTube have hours of content of what makes the sequels so bad.

Weezy and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  18. Weezy

So we are getting a LOT of Star Wars goodness coming up. Zero of it connects to or takes place during the sequel trilogy timeline. I cannot friggin wait for Obi-Wan

Hayden is back as Vader

19. Weezy

20. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Haven’t ventured into this thread in a while, got really jaded after Episode 9 and didn’t want anything to do with the franchise. I think what made Episode 9 even worse for me was, just like GoT, I was defending a lot of the missteps along the way because I assumed we’d have a good conclusion only for that to blow up in my face.

Had liked S1 of the Mandalorian, but didn’t feel that motivated to start S2. Then saw the news of all these other series, and honestly my first impression was a negative one. Made me think Disney is just really trying to milk the franchise even if some of the concepts sounded intriguing.

But I know some of you are way more into Star Wars than I, so popping into this thread and skimming through the discussion (just skimming to avoid possible spoilers), maybe I have this all wrong and need to get around to giving Mandalorian S2 and these upcoming Disney+ series a shot.