Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I honestly don't know if I'll even be able to enjoy those. Unless they declare the trilogy non-canon and wipe it from the timeline (and fire Kennedy), Star Wars is no longer Star Wars and anything they create is just more fan fiction.

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Damn, those were good videos, I wanna buy that dude a beer. And now I’m even more annoyed with Disney and JJ. Guy is absolutely right, 7 should have been set further into the future, or they shouldn’t have just used the OT characters as a crutch for the new characters. None of 7 makes sense, the map to Luke, why would he leave it? Why was Finn hinted at as force sensitive and it never goes anywhere? I had so many questions after that movie, it was just why why why, typical JJ, the LOST of Star Wars. Oh and I still couldn’t believe they did a third Death Star. It’s like Campea said in that video I posted, there’s a lot of supplementary material to explain a lot of this, the government in the universe of 7, where the First Order comes from, but if you NEED that to help your movie make sense, you failed.

TIME, sirronstuff and Savory Griddles like this.
  3. Weezy

Damn, he’s spot on with this one too. Why? Why anything? So much why. This entire trilogy makes no sense. Palpatine won, his heir lives on and all Skywalker are dead, wtf message is that?

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Good videos, dang.

5. Weezy

On a more positive note, this is cool, presumably from the set of season 2 of the Mandalorian. If George didn’t like it, I’m guessing he wouldn’t be around

6. Savory Griddles

Yes. I thought his Rey stuff was spot on as well. Why did she leave Jakku? Because of BB-8? A small droid she had never met was enough of a reason to bolt from the planet she was remaining on in order to wait for her parents? And why was her relationship with Unkar Plutt as such where it seemed like she only knew him in a transactional sense when he was raising her for most of her life?

I realize all movies have problems with consistency. It's almost impossible to write a perfect movie where everyone has perfect motivations. But not one character is consistent throughout the entire trilogy (let alone some of the older characters from the OT). Not one character has motivations that make any sense whatsoever. We still don't even really know why Kylo was turning bad (before Luke went into the tent to murder him). What was Snoke "whispering" to him that was so wonderful to put him on a path that Luke saw no return from? He's with Luke and the rest of his fledgling academy all the time. They are family. What could Snoke possibly be saying? Maybe he was promising technology and the occult?

Weezy likes this.
  7. Savory Griddles

Interesting Take

8. Weezy

I don’t like dude’s takes, he’s constantly whining about TLJ and Kathleen Kennedy’s personal politics, harping on Luke and Rian Johnson. I get that he didn’t like it, but at some point it’s like get over it man, all these sequels suck or are mediocre. I remember the temperature of the room when Carrie passed, the idea of recasting had people online angry at the thought, and killing her onscreen made people uneasy same as it did them seeing Heath Ledger in a body bag in The Dark Knight. Disney is far to safe to have gone that route. This guy just wants them to have switched Luke and Leia’s roles because he hates TLJ. I do think IF they’d done it, and shot Trevorrow’s movie, it’s possible people would have gotten over it by now, but no way Disney would have risked it. I also don’t like how the entire video the guy talks in absolutes like he’s the smartest guy in the room, yet at the very end throws in “but that’s just my opinion”, uh, no dude you just stated all that as if it were fact. I genuinely have a hard time listening to that guy talk, but eh, it is a valid take I guess.

On another note, this cracked me up. I do remember thinking how weird the marketing for this film was, like you could almost tell it was going to be s*** by how much effort they put into it.

9. Savory Griddles

I knew you wouldn't agree with his takes on the Last Jedi, but that's not really why I posted it. I posted it because of his take on Trevorrow's departure. My guess is the creative differences were exactly as the dude in the video described. He asked to let Luke live (which we heard Trevorrow wanted right after he departed) so he could swap Leia out with Luke. Where I think he is definitely right is they could have reshot very little of Last Jedi in order to make it work. They could have used B-Roll of Leia to put her on the bridge and have her do the Holdo maneuver instead. Then like he said, have Luke not disappear. I'm not sure why KK decided to stick her head in the sand and not change course a tiny bit in order to account for something as huge as Carrie Fisher dying.

If they would have allowed Leia to die while keeping Luke alive and switching him out with Leia in Trevorrow's script, the Last Jedi probably doesn't get quite as much hate since at least Luke is still alive and JJ isn't brought in to create his clusterf***. Rey doesn't get even more insane Force powers, the Emperor isn't brought back...it would have still been off, but if you just put her in the Holdo manuever seat, I think people would have accepted that as a nice sacrificial end for her character, especially considering the circumstances. It was a lot better than her dying via another "Force Overdose" like her brother did. It may not have been perfect, but it would have at least made sense and probably has Star Wars in a MUCH healthier spot right now. I mean, there was an entire year between her death and the Last Jedi. This could have and should have been done, especially since it appears the idea was broached and KK still refused to do it.

Weezy likes this.
  10. Weezy

You’re probably right, people would have been more accepting 3 years later (since Carrie passed) and it no question would have made for a better movie. I just remember at the time Disney immediately said they would not use CGI like Tarkin in Rogue One and they wouldn’t recast, they seemed very afraid to do anything to dishonor her memory, so it made some sense at the time. Looking back now, yeah, bad call.

And I didn’t mean to go on a rant about that guy and TLJ, just the way he expressed his opinions irks me. I’ve seen a lot of his videos now and he’s like a broken record, he has to sneak in shots at Rian Johnson and TLJ and mention some grand Hollywood social justice agenda in every single one I’ve ever seen. At this point I feel like that stuff is done for more clicks, we get it already. I’ve moved to the side of the fandom that thinks the sequels suck, but it’s based on the films as actual stories and not their identity politics or “Ruin Johnson”, I’m so tired of hearing that tired crap, these people are like CNN and Trump at this point, we get it, you think he’s Satan, move on. I guess I’m just ready to move forward and hear how Star Wars can get better from here, not hear how Rian killed Star Wars and ruined people’s lives for the millionth time, but again that seems to get clicks and likes.

Ugh I’m rambling again, anyway I do agree with his take on Trevorrow, he should have done it, his script would have at least made this an actual trilogy as he points out. The beginning of 9 is just so WTF, it’s like we’ve entered a different universe, it’s jarring, comes out of nowhere, pure nonsense and only goes downhill from there. I don’t care if anyone likes TROS, but I really can’t fathom how they do, like were we watching the same movie? I still can’t believe they actually put that scene on film where Rey melts Palpatine with his own lightning because she has 2 lightsabers (or Palpatine draining the force from Rey and Ben, the force isn’t a superpower energy health bar, it’s what Jedi use, not possess, wtf), it’s so cartoonish and ridiculous, it’s like the Wolverine/Jean Grey scene at the end of X3 The Last Stand, or some crazy anime/Marvel superhero/Matrix mashup brought to life. It makes the climax of ROTJ look like an even more restrained and subtle masterpiece. So at least we got that going for us.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  11. Savory Griddles

That's all I was trying to point out. The other stuff... I didn't post it for that. I posted it because that small tweak where Colin was allowed do the switch would have potentially saved the entire trilogy for almost everyone. There would still be some massive problems like the trilogy essentially resetting the OT, Rey still being way overpowered, etc. But at least Anakins sacrifice is still intact cause there's no Palpy. Luke can maybe better redeem himself. There's an actual arc.

Weezy likes this.
  12. Savory Griddles

Obi-Wan series is now in flux. Might be a movie now.

Whatever. I mean, why is Lucasfilm so afraid to make a movie not set within the lifespans of Anakin and Luke?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  13. Weezy

Hmm, I think she’s onto something, as are the people in the comments. Lots of good points raised

14. Weezy

Trying not to panic before it’s actually confirmed, but there was a lot there to be worried about. I have a lot of faith in the SW tv side right now, I have verrrrry little faith in the movie side, please do not f*** up Obi-Wan. It is right there on a silver platter, the same actor we love, a director we have faith in, a storyline/time period most people would really like to see filmed as opposed to Solo, and a format that’s now been proven with the Mandalorian. Leave it be, make it a show, let it breathe.

15. Savory Griddles

Are you describing the Disney Trilogy? Add an "s" to actor to account for all of them and you pretty much have what we were all saying in 2012. :D

16. Weezy

S*** you’re right.

:Kobeheadshake:

Still. They have TV as a proven medium, the Mandalorian is huge, Kenobi would be as big or bigger, it’s so easy to not mess up, let the TV group handle it, because clearly Kennedy and Iger CANNOT stay out of the way of f****** up the movies side. This is also ABOUT Obi-Wan, so it’s not exactly the same with the sequels where they just used the characters we loved to prop up the new characters that were puddle deep and in the end couldn’t carry the final film with Carrie passing away, Hamill getting one scene, and even with Ford returning to do them a huge nostalgia favor.

17. Weezy

So damn excited for this. This feels like the SW I know and love, which I know is weird to say about prequel related material, but this stuff was still birthed from Lucas, and has his fingerprints on it, unlike any of of the sequel trilogy, which just used his characters.

18. Savory Griddles

Lucas/Filoni canon. That is my new motto. Anything they were involved with is canon. That makes the original 6 movies, the Clone Wars, Rebels and The Mandalorian canon. Nothing else. And nothing else deserves to be.

19. Savory Griddles

20. Weezy

God dammit. Kathleen Kennedy isn’t happy with the scripts, who the hell gives a flying f*** if she’s happy? She OK’d the original Rogue One script that had to be fixed, the boring TFA script, the script that split the fandom with TLJ, the script that was the bland crap that is Solo AND it’s re-shooting still being bland, AND the script that is the most nonsensical piece of crap in SW movie history in TROS. What could possibly be wrong with the scripts? Not pandering enough? Not woke enough? Not Star Warsy enough? TOO good and original? Get her the f*** out!

[​IMG]