Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Fair point. But can we at least agree that JJ Abrams sucks? He’s now proven he can restart a franchise, but that he leaves it in terrible shape when he’s done. Guy has no vision, and has no idea what a scene of actual character development is. Everyone just yells stuff at eachother in his movies, It makes my head hurt in 9.

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I can agree with that. The one caveat being that he actually was going to try one of these stories that are being rumored as the original plan for the movie, but was overruled by KK and Iger.

Weezy likes this.
  3. Weezy

I feel like he should have threatened to quit if they screwed with his movie to that degree. He has a LOT of weight in Hollywood, Iger and Kennedy can’t destroy his career, his vision and art, the legacy of this entire franchise should have come before Iger wanting to make the most money and please angry fans. Revenge of the Sith is good because Lucas finished his vision despite all the hate, JJ should have done the same, or said remove my name as director, this isn’t my film. But he ultimately filmed it and supported it, when he could have spoken out more if they screwed him that bad. Good films stand the test of time, despite any and all drama it takes to get them there. Nobody talks about all the drama on the original trilogy these days, 4 being saved in the editing, 5 having Kershner fight George all the way on stuff that ended up making that film the best one, Harrison and George disagreeing on Han’s story in 6. All we remember is that we love the movies and that they’re great. If the rumors are true, he should have cared more about his and SW’s legacy and stuck to his guns with Lucas or walked and said do it without me then, rather than release unwatchable fan fiction garbage. Kennedy and Disney would have looked awful losing yet another director for being too controlling and maybe we get necessary changes, but instead he seems to have played the game and now I want to sell my 7 & 8 Blu-ray’s because 9 is so bad it makes those movies pointless.

4. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Where can I read jj ideas and how the were different from the KK?

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

5. Savory Griddles

There have been stories popping up from the editor and the Chris Terrio (the other writer) that lots of stuff has been cut out. There was also a leak on Reddit from a moderator on a fairly large and active board.

I'll send you a PM containing the Reddit Moderator's post in question.

Kingsama likes this.
  6. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Thanks, like I said I don't spend much time online dealing with Star Wars, or any other of my favorite fiction to be honest, so I missed all that.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  7. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I have NEVER understood the decision to let JJ be involved with SW at all. He has some interesting ideas but they almost never pan out or pay off. What makes it even more mind-boggling is that they could have had nearly any director. I can think of many that I would have picked above JJ.

Weezy and Savory Griddles like this.
  8. Savory Griddles

We have Steven Speilberg to thank for that. He was heavily involved in recruiting JJ for Kathleen Kennedy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/star-wars-how-steven-spielberg-got-abrams-to-direct-2016-6

Kingsama likes this.
  9. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Yuck. No offense to Speilberg who is one of the greatest directors of all time, but he really hasn't hit one out of the park in a long time. Not to mention his love affair with "It's aliens" plot lines. I just can't imagine a world where JJ is the best choice when there are so many other great filmmakers out there.

10. Savory Griddles

I think I remember reading somewhere that they approached David Fincher (he got his start at Lucasfilm, IIRC), and he respectfully declined. That would have been interesting. In the end, JJ being involved wasn't necessarily the biggest crime to me from a production standpoint. The biggest (and most inexplicable by far) issue was no clear plan for the trilogy. If you are going to get JJ involved, let him write the entire story so it's at least cohesive. Even if he doesn't direct all three, the story should have been completed before principal photography started on The Force Awakens.

Weezy and Kingsama like this.
  11. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Spot on, from the outside looking in this whole trilogy looked like a "lets wing it" approach to film making. Even if it's not JJ, have someone out there that Fiege's the story. Take a group of great writers out to the desert and let them craft a grand narrative to the story and then let gifted filmmakers craft films from that story.

Weezy and Savory Griddles like this.
  12. Weezy

Tired of using spoiler tags, if you haven’t seen 9, oh well, save your money anyway, I’d like mine back. This girl cracks me up

side note, I saw her at a Target once, said hello and that I loved her YouTube channel, she was very nice.

trodgers and Savory Griddles like this.
  13. Savory Griddles

We ready for some more stupidity? So evidently Starkiller base is Ilum. Yep.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-confirms-starkiller-base-lightsaber-planet/

So the planet where the Jedi got their crystals (a well-known planet) is the same one where they built a "secret?" super weapon. But it gets better. The video games are canon. In Fallen Order, there is a point in the game where you go to Ilum (not really a spoiler). If you return to Ilum after you finish the game, there is a blink and you'll miss it shot of you approaching the planet and the trench is already being dug out of Ilum.

So what's the problem?

The game takes place just a few years after Revenge of the Sith. That means Starkiller base was being built at the same time the FIRST Death Star was. Think about this for a second. Was a well-known planet able to carve a trench through half it's circumference in complete secrecy? Or did they know about this and the Republic (being in power for 20 something years after Return of the Jedi) elected to not do anything about this monstrosity?

Disney chucked out the old EU (which to be fair was a bit messy at times) to replace it with this nonsensical canon. A canon they don't even follow. There was a comic book that told the story of Poe who had been a pilot for the Resistance and Republic his whole life. And then in Rise of Skywalker they drop the bomb
    that he was a criminal and illegally running spices.

Why have a story group or canon if you have zero interest in paying attention to it? And we as fans are supposed to accept that this trilogy was part of the Skywalker saga because Disney's timeline is now canon?

Weezy likes this.
  14. Savory Griddles

15. Weezy

:Koberubeyes:

Disney..are morons. I can’t even. This is me also ignoring the fact that, to my knowledge, kyber crystals are sort of rare in large quantifies, right? In Rogue One they mine an entire planet for theirs to make the Death Star weapon and then blow it up. Then in 9 there are like 1,000 Star destroyers each with a Death Star weapon. So which is it? I still get annoyed or angered when I think of the nonsense of that movie and how much it said “f*** canon”.

I’m taking this with a huge grain of salt, because I don’t want it to be true. WE DON’T NEED CHARACTERS WE KNOW IN EVERY MOVIE. High Republic? So who’s the villain, since the Sith have been gone for a thousand years or whatever according to Yoda and Mace and the council in TPM. There’s no conflict then, the Jedi are the guardians of PEACE AND JUSTICE for a millennium, same time the Sith have been “extinct”, as Ki-Adi-Mundi says. OLD REPUBLIC, use EU characters that were made canon in cartoons or games most don’t know about, or set it in the far off future, we need something NEW. Good lord. Thank goodness for the tv shows, I couldn’t love the Mandalorian more and I can’t wait for Kenobi, and am hopeful for Cassian Andor.

trodgers and Savory Griddles like this.
  16. Savory Griddles

MauLer Review:

It's long, but it is far, far more enjoyable than the actual film.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Weezy likes this.
  17. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

18. Savory Griddles

I think the thing that bothers me most is this line: "This leading group of Jedi is said to have varying strengths and powers, similar to superheroes, according to Ziro."

So now the Force is like mutant abilities in X-men? The more powers you create, the more questions arise as to where were those powers in the Prequels?

One thing has become clear. Disney doesn't care about the older, diehard fans. If anything, they have a healthy disdain for them. They are obviously under the assumption that they need to move on and attract an entirely new fanbase. It seems like they are going after young people with ADHD. The hero's journey, the themes that made the original Star Wars so beloved are being cast aside for easier, soulless products that can be spit out by less talented people that Disney probably doesn't have to pay as much. We, the older fan, don't matter to them because at 40 years old we're going to die soon?

Kingsama and Weezy like this.
  19. Weezy

They’re breaking my heart, they’re going down a path I can’t follow. If this is truly where the movies head I’m out on that side. Maybe it’s them leaking stuff to get a feel for what people want though, I hope? I’ll stick to TV if it’s true though, Manadalorian season 2 and Kenobi have me incredibly excited because they’re in the hands of the right people. But if this superhero stuff is true, nah. The Clone Wars cartoon showed what the Jedi are, the extent of their powers. I GUESS if you go back to the old republic when there were tons of Jedi and Sith and they created all their own mythology and such you can explore some new stuff that you can say got lost (I guess, even that’s a stretch), or you can say the Jedi outlawed using their powers in this way or that way, but I still don’t like it.

And again, AGAIN, the more I think about 9 the more I hate it. Rey being a Palpatine is so god damn lazy and pointless, it added NOTHING to the story as far as emotional weight, it made me roll my eyes and it lost me. Kylo told Rey her parents were in a paupers grave on Jakku, but apparently they were in a murder victims grave and the family of the most powerful man in the galaxy, uh, ok, sure. Still annoyed we didn’t get an Anakin force ghost scene. Still annoyed Kylo’s redemption was rushed and lame and so unclear in what Leia actually did it had to be explained by the writer later on, and he didn’t get ONE line of dialogue after that turn. Main character for me of this trilogy was Kylo, and he went out silently. Didn’t even say something cheesy but at least important along the lines of “my mother was right, she saved me”. Still annoyed Luke had one friggin scene, either he didn’t even want to be in it, or JJ truly hates that character. Garbage, garbage movie. Mostly I’m annoyed that SW failed so hard, I never saw it coming, because even though the prequels have bad acting, dialogue and chemistry in the romance, the STORY is still there, and 3 delivered and elevated them all.

I don’t know where SW movies go from here, and I don’t care at the moment, there’s little Disney could do to make me feel better aside from getting Iger and Kennedy TFO and putting people in charge that put people in charge that respect SW, but are also great filmmakers. Who would want to make a SW movie right now? If you’re a top director why do you want to touch it?Trank was fired, Edwards was replaced, Lord & Miller were fired, Trevorrow was fired, Benioff and Weiss “resigned”, clearly whoever comes in has zero freedom to do what they want so why would a big name maybe capable of making a SW masterpiece even come in only to be meddled with and shackled with restrictions? I thought when Disney bought SW it was awesome and we’d get amazing stuff because I saw what they did with Marvel, but I was wrong, I should have known all they care about is money and pumping stuff out.

20. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Where is Mel Brooks when we need him....

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk