Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

That dude called the movie emotionally dead...(And is still whining about it not having a “proper” lightsaber duel), I got choked up multiple times, it was a roller coater ride for me. Here’s a little bit from the other camp, the Force is about balance after all. Also I agree with almost every take in these videos

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I got choked up once...after the movie was over and I realized what had happened to Star Wars. :rofl: ;)

trodgers and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  3. Savory Griddles

I could eviscerate that first video. His first take is how we shouldn't be comparing Hux to Tarkin and Poe's humiliation of him is justified...That's not because we WANT to compare him to Tarkin. It's because we NEED to have him be at least somewhat competent. At this point the First Order leadership has Kylo (an emotional, angsty 20 something who throws temper tantrums on a whim), and Hux (a bumbling fool) in charge. That creates no drama. There isn't a fear of Emperor/Vader/Tarkin/Other Grand Moffs. Look to other IPs as well. Thanos/Corvus/Black Order. Sauron/Saruman/Witch King. Joker/Bane/Ra's al Ghoul. Kylo and Hux end up being Dark Helmet/Colonel Sanderz.

His reasoning for Luke being on the island? Hiding is COMPLETELY justified. Kylo and Snoke are both hunting him with the First Order and he has zero Jedi with him. That is established in the Force Awakens. He could easily be there to try and study what went wrong and how to combat it before he leaves. That's essentially what everyone assumed he was doing at the end of the Force Awakens. That doesn't make him a coward, nor does it mean he's a crap Jedi. Yoda did the same thing. He knew he would need to have help so he waited for Luke to come of age.

Then he actually liked Leia Poppins? Even people that loved the movie admit how ridiculous that was. I could deconstruct every one of his points, but I won't because it would take two hours. Most of them were more just, "I liked it, so it was good." He compared Luke's cave scene with Rey's mirror scene and basically says, Luke's cave scene is too on the nose with it's metaphor while Rey's is better because it's more mysterious......it's mysterious because it doesn't mean anything. It's cool that he liked it. But don't pretend it's a well written screenplay. It has too many logical inconsistencies within the universe and it's lore, and within the movie itself.

4. Weezy

Your points essentially boil down to the same, but opposite, “I didn’t like it, so it was bad”. That’s what the second video is about, you cannot argue about this movie, it’s wild, you’re not even allowed to like it and still be a fan. Also, I I liked Leia Poppins. First time I saw it I couldn’t believe it happened, that she finally used the force, and the music was awesome, I got nerd chills. Now, I still like it, doesn’t look silly to me, it adds to Leia to me. Like I said, I agree with almost all his takes, so I don’t need to rehash any of them.

5. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    [​IMG]

Savory Griddles likes this.
  6. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

Filler yes/maybe but i feel like it was showing homage to SG1 & seven samurai.

I was very surprised they went the Mandalorian route. Even though Mandos being a fan favorite was no secret but not going to more mainstream choice like a Jedi or Sith story for their live action tv series was a surprise. But I still hope they make a boba fett movie later and bring in some of his EU story into canon as well.

I really hope they don't change too much Mandalorian stuff from the past. The not taking off the helmet is dope but it conflicts with previous canon and EU as well.

TIME likes this.
  7. Savory Griddles

Not at all. I gave objective answers as to why his points were false. He said if Luke was hiding on the island, that makes him a coward. That's patently false and I gave the reason why it was false. I didn't give my opinion (I mean, you know my opinion). I was just saying his statement is false, and once he got to a point in his thinking where it lined up with his opinion, he stated it as a fact without thinking about it anymore. Same thing with Hux. People aren't saying they want Hux to be Tarkin or be a badass. The problem is all drama is gone by making both villains incompetent. Yes, the Poppins scene is a personal preference, but the others I was pointing out why he's wrong from a factual basis.

The Showtime Mamba and TIME like this.
  8. Weezy

Agree to disagree, like I said

[​IMG]

Onto the Mandalorian, I’ve been super busy for a week, so I only saw episode 4 last night finally. Loved it, absolutely loved it, easily my favorite episode so far. This is Star Wars for sure, but it continues to feel like no Star Wars we’ve seen before, continues to surprise me with its pace and tone, and it cracks me up along the way. Also baby Yoda is a treasure, they found magic with that little guy, when I thought he got shot for half a second I was about to have my night ruined, whew. I don’t even buy Funko Pop figures and I want his, keychain one too.

9. Savory Griddles

I have preordered the 4 inch AND the 10 inch version of the Baby Yoda Pop. I liked episode 4, but if I'm being honest, it was my least favorite. It felt a bit to fill-ery and a little derivative of sci-fi shows where they heroes show up and rescue a persecuted village from a technologically superior faction. It was Stargate SG1 and Star Trek-ish. It was still good, don't get me wrong. But after episode 3 and the badassery of that, it was a bit of a letdown.

10. Savory Griddles

Episode 5...

Who was that at the end? Theories?

11. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

Really enjoyed the first 3 episodes of the Mandalorian but he last two felt way too filler for me. For an 8 episode season, the last 2 episodes really didnt do anything to advance the main plot. They just felt like self contained episodes of the week. But, who knows, maybe they will set up future arcs.

12. Savory Griddles

13. Savory Griddles

14. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Omg how about that 6th episode of The Mandalorian? Great casting, great pacing and tone. Was up there with the 1st episode as my favorite, but now I'm thinking this one is my new favorite.

15. Savory Griddles

It was very entertaining, but it's the third sort of filler episode in a row. This is an 8 episode season of 30 minute episodes. I'd like to see a little more plot advancement.

sirronstuff and Kenzo like this.
  16. Weezy

I guess she isn’t nobody. Palpatine’s voice gets me hyped every time though.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  17. Weezy

Holy flurking schnit, this spot is amazing. I was pretty hyped for this movie already and now I want to see it immediately.

18. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    Yup, I'm with you on that one @Weezy . I am not a fan of the last SW movie, but these last few trailers got me pumped up. I will probably go to watch it in IMAX

Weezy and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think that is pretty normal for most long running series. plot advancement / big picture episode followed by daily living/adventure plot filling episodes. I bet the ratio is 3-5/1 in general across the board when I think of some of my favorite long running shows.

20. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Lots of good early impressions for ROS.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.