Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I hate Rian Johnson.

Just thought I'd say it despite its relevance.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  2. Savory Griddles

And I have Amazon Prime due to the shipping alone. I feel like everything on Amazon is gravy since I'd have the service just for the 2-day shipping.

Weezy and sirronstuff like this.
  3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  4. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Disney+ always sounded like a good value but so far I haven’t been too intrigued by the Marvel series and so I was planning on holding off, mainly as a boycott over my frustrations over all the remakes that Disney is doing as a cash grab.

But The Mandalorian has me sold. Definitely getting a subscription.

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Amazon Prime rules, I don’t have it, but my step-father does and he lets me buy stuff through his account and I have access to the streaming service as well. The free shipping is great, the deals are great, Prime Day was awesome, I got a PlayStation Classic for $20.

sirronstuff likes this.
  6. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    So, I'm leaning toward getting it now. Mandalorian + Obi Wan + Moon Knight. :Dannygreenonfire3:

Weezy likes this.
  7. Weezy

I like the concept of this poster, but the actual look, imo pretty bad. Looks cartoonish, the emperor looks all smooth and clearly entirely CG, it looks as bad as Thanos at the end of Avengers 1.

A little more info on Episode 9 as well.

Alcindor and sirronstuff like this.
  8. Savory Griddles

I love the Emperor, but it feels like a reach to get all the fans they lost after the Last Jedi back on board. And once again, bringing the Emperor back (the same way the fledgling Jedi Order was destroyed and the First Order essentially replaces the Empire a mere 25 years later) kind of negates all the heroics at the end of Return of the Jedi. Luke, Leai, Han, Chewie and Lando really accomplished nothing but a short peace. Sort of hard to watch Nub Nub and everyone celebrating now knowing that in just a few years it will be undone and then some.

9. Weezy

I mean I see your point, but I guess I’ve kind of always felt this way because of the existence of the EU and all that nonsense. I think where Disney messed up was not having a clear vision for the trilogy. As much as I don’t love a lot about but prequels, at least it’s one clear story and you can tell it was exactly what Lucas wanted to do aside from minor tweaks. The OT didn’t have a clear vision, but it actually benefited from that, multiple directors and people getting input.

With the sequel trilogy, much as I enjoy the Last Jedi as a film, I think they should have just made JJ do his thing for 3 films or not brought him on at all. Having 3 writers and directors and telling them to put their spin on each was kind of stupid, the trilogy so far lacks focus and a clear plot. I don’t particularly like TFA aside from the lightsaber fight and the Kylo stuff, and Rian Johnson was set up to have to start his movie RIGHT where TFA ended and answer all these questions JJ set up, yet clearly wasn’t told a direction he HAD to go when he should have been. Now JJ comes in and finishes out his original story, and we’ve got this weird movie in the middle that likely gets a lot of retconning. My only hope is that JJ is able to actually tie 1-9 together in satisfying ways, and it makes it all feel grand and worthwhile, I want Luke to matter, I want a Hayden force ghost appearance, I want to feel connections to the old stuff.

In the end I’m looking forward to 9, but honestly the tv shows excite me way more, I care less and less for the sequels and their characters as time goes on, I enjoy Rogue One the most of all the movies, and I’ve seen Solo twice and still can’t find any reason it should exist.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  10. Savory Griddles

Yeah. I am looking forward to the Mandalorian far, far more than Episode 9. They're lack of direction is completely inexcusable, especially considering the success having a vision has proven to be with Marvel (another Disney owned company).

I am a Communications major with an emphasis in Radio/TV/Film and I minored in English literature. Last Jedi from a basic story structure perspective was bad with dramatic beats in very odd places. But that's not the biggest crime. Episodes 7-9 were going to need to tell a story. In a way they should have been planned out as one large movie so it doesn't feel disjointed. One of the main things I was taught in screenwriting classes is you must know the end of your story. That should be one of the first things you establish before you ever start writing. And no, "Rey and the good guys win." is not enough. You need to know who is where, why and how you plan on getting them there. I've read multiple books on the Old Trilogy and the biggest takeaway is Lucas got EXTREMELY lucky that it turned out the way it did. It's Screenwriting 101 to know how the story ends so you can work back from that.

Weezy likes this.
  11. Weezy

Not a lot of new footage, but what’s there looks sweet. I also think the last shot is clear misdirection. Something like the Luke cave scene in ESB.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  12. Savory Griddles

This makes me so sad. Star Wars was my favorite entertainment vehicle by a WIDE margin. I watched that thing and I just couldn't muster up any excitement. I tried to, and I just couldn't. I even bought 4-day passes to Celebration last month anticipating that I would find my way home and love it again. It shouldn't be like this for me.

13. Weezy

THE biggest mystery in SW is finally going to be answered, this looks epic.

14. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

15. Savory Griddles

I thought of this the other day.

Imagine if a company bought the movie rights to Middle-earth and Tolkien. Now imagine if the first movie they did was a sequel series to the Lord of the Rings. In the sequel we find out that somehow the one ring didn't actually melt in Mt. Doom. It somehow encased itself in some shell. Sauron is able to manifest again and he gets the ring. He wipes out tons of people (including Gandalf cause we need show how dangerous Sauron is) before a Hobbit with no real training of any sort becomes a Super-Duper-Ninja Hobbit. Super-Ninja Hobbit and walks up to Sauron, cuts off his entire hand, strolls up Mt. Doom, and tosses the ring in destroying Sauron for good.

How do you think fans would respond? Everyone would call bulls*** because it essentially means Frodo and Samwise failed. Aragorn and Gandalf failed to stop Sauron. And newly introduced Super-Ninja Hobbit needed to come in and save the day. The story and heroics of Frodo, Aragorn, Legolas, etc. we celebrated for decades were all a lie because Sauron was just fine and he just had to be a little patient.

This is exactly what is happening right now in Star Wars.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  16. Weezy

Or you know, we could watch the movie first and see if the story works. You know, just an idea. That’s my plan anyway. I know you’re angry and feel betrayed, but there is a large portion of the fandom that doesn’t feel that way and is still excited, as shown by TROS presale tickets selling only less than Avengers Endgame. I don’t love the sequel trilogy so far overall, I would guess for reasons that are different than most, but I don’t hate it, and I am very excited for 9.

[​IMG]

Are you at least excited for The Mandelorian? Kenobi series? Any common ground there? I signed up for Disney rewards years ago to put in codes when I bought Blu-rays and because it was free, so they emailed me an offer for Disney+ for 3 years for $170, so my family subscribed. I mean it comes out to like $4.72 a month, hard to pass up.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  17. Savory Griddles

I am looking forward to the Mandalorian. Its a Favreau/Filoni production. I trust both of those guys, especially Filoni. Kenobi...I might be very excited about Obi, but I want to know who's in charge of it first.

As for the first part of your post, if they are bringing back the Emperor, how is my initial point not valid? How can the story possibly "work" in a way where Luke and Anakin aren't failures; that all the rebellion accomplished was a brief reprieve. Heck, you could make the case that the galaxy might have been better off without the first rebellion as it cost a lot of lives, more than the Empire would have took had they been left alone. I understand that Luke (and possibly even Anakin) will have a part in defeating the Emperor for good this time. But this story, the way it is now, makes Rey (a painfully uninteresting, underdeveloped character) the ultimate hero of the story. For 40 years we were led to believe that the greatest film story ever told was the story of Luke taking down an evil Empire with the help of his father who he redeemed from the darkest pit imaginable. Now? That's no longer the story. It will now be Luke and Anakin helped slow down the Emperor for a bit until the real hero (Rey) could take him down for good.

I honestly don't understand how ANY of the fandom doesn't grasp what they've done to Star Wars. I know we have had these talks before, but now that we know the Emperor is indeed back, does that change anything for you? You have to admit that by bringing good old Sheev back they have almost completely wiped out the entire legacy of Luke Skywalker. It's why I have taken the side that everything outside the original 6 movies and the Clone Wars is just more EU level fan fiction.

I have not bought tickets yet for Episode 9. I just looked and I can still buy tickets for Thursday night at 9:00. This number being thrown around by Disney...something's fishy about it. No one in my entire department has bought tickets for the thing. All of us had bought tickets for Rian's Abomination, a couple of us had bought multiple tickets. I know it's a small sample size, but I know something is screwy with those numbers. Remember this?

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-tickets-fandango-presales-1202800028/

Time will tell.

18. Weezy

I don’t really have any desire to argue your large point here beyond a quick response, because we simply fundamentally disagree, and that’s fine. I don’t think that Palpatine returning undoes any of what our favorite characters did in the past, in the moment they still did it, it still had that importance and saved the galaxy. But evil always returns in some form, that’s how the stories go on, thats why they are Star Wars, not Star War. I understand your point completely, but we just don’t see eye to eye on it, which again, is fine.

As for the Kenobi series, what we know so far is it’s 6 hour long episodes, takes place like 11 years after episode 3, and the director is Deborah Chow, who has some pretty nice directing credits to her name and did an episode of the Mandelorian already. Another interesting note, Ewan commented recently that he’s had to lie about this series not existing for 4 years. So I assume they had a movie ready and killed that because Solo bombed, and Iger and Kennedy aren’t the smartest clearly when it comes to realizing people would much rather have a Kenobi movie/series with Ewan, than a Solo movie with mini-kind-of-but-not-really-Han “I have no people” Solo. Kind of worked out better to me though, I’d so much rather have a 6 hour Kenobi series than a 2 hour movie.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/1...es-show-timeline-details-episodes-disney-plus

19. Savory Griddles

Not sure what to make of this:

https://deadline.com/2019/10/star-w...id-benioff-d-b-weiss-exit-trilogy-1202771184/

Is this a rats abandoning a sinking ship type deal?

Is this Disney and Iger stepping in and putting a halt to all future projects until they find out if the Rise of Skywalker can heal the community?

Is this Lucasfilm realizing that Benioff and Weiss may be devoid of talent when they don't have excellent source material to work from?

I don't believe their schedule filled up. That's B.S. When you agree to do a Star Wars Trilogy, that takes up a spot on your schedule. Other things don't knock that off.

20. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Thank God, they suck.

alam1108 and Savory Griddles like this.