Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I'm torn on how often we get Star Wars movies. The Marvel model of 3 a year is way too much. But one a year isn't bad. Obviously it all boils down to content. Are the movies good? Do they capture our attention? I kind of feel like Lawrence Kasdan had this idea and pitched it to KK. KK figured the guy had his pulse on Star Wars cause he wrote a couple. But no one really wanted to see it. Couple that with a divisive movie 5 months earlier...Mystery is sometimes good for storytelling and world building. Han's backstory was whatever we wanted it to be. Now it's fleshed out and the intrigue is gone. What if they would have revealed what was in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction? It would undoubtedly been a let down.

Marvel is able to make 3 a year because they use a lot of the ideas that are already in the comics that people love. Star Wars has a similar (obviously not as extensive) catalog of beloved stories; stories we know work because people loved them. There is a ton of garbage in legends, but the good stories should have been mined first and made screen canon much the same way Marvel comics has their screen canon and their comic book canon. Filoni does this well. You don't have to follow the story arcs from legends verbatim. Marvel doesn't.

2. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

And KK just got her contract renewed.

:PauExplode::Bangbrick4:

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

They are mining the old canon, they're just doing it in other media first.

4. Savory Griddles

Yeah. That's why I brought up Filoni. He is doing it, and it's successful. I realize the old legends stuff is a s*** show in a lot of places, but there are a lot of good stories that were a huge success among fans. There is no reason the good ones wouldn't work with the casual fans too. Instead they are trying to recreate the wheel. Marvel was smart enough to look at their extensive story collection and ask, "What was successful?"

This is just a theory, but I think Lucasfilm may have overthought it a bit to where they may have wondered if the stories the hardcore fans enjoyed would appeal to the mainstream. Marvel didn't. They realized a good story is a good story. Lucasfilm made the Force Awakens as cookie cutter and digestible as possible. I understood that. Let's reset a bit after the somewhat controversial prequels. Then what was truly a vocal minority complained it was too close to A New Hope (which it was, but even then most people still liked it) so they over corrected and tried to fool us and "subvert expectations" at every single turn. The Thrawn trilogy was excellent. They could have done large portions of it with the older cast. Obviously some things would have had to have changed, but having read it more than once, the general story could have worked.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that's too far off at all. I think they definitely overthought their approach in some areas and underthought it in others. I think they felt that if they went with too much old canon material it'd come off lazy and/or the fans would say they're just making worse versions of beloved stories. There's definite truth to that.

I still think that would have been the right way to go though. Write an updated, probably simplified, version of the old canon stories and roll with them. Filoni is basically doing that right now and it's being met with at least lukewarm applause by drive-by fans and solid support from long-time fans. Sure, it's not the most creative way to tell stories but oh well. Tell them the way you want to tell them and live with the results.

I still think the new trilogy is great, but I'm definitely okay with slowing down the other types of movies until they have a better understanding of what the fans want. No more Anthology movies. If you're going to give us movies, then give us the big cinematic movies. While I enjoyed Solo, it's obvious that it didn't appeal to the masses or the hardcore fans. Instead, invest in grander stories for the movies and use the new streaming service for Solo-ish stories.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  6. Savory Griddles

Weezy likes this.
  7. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Lucas film seems to be learning all the wrong lessons from the MCU.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

8. Savory Griddles

They really are. Whether you liked The Last Jedi or not, as a movie studio, it's not wise to attack your fans and call them racist or misogynist based on a few bad apples. The VAST majority of the people that disliked Last Jedi were for reasons that had zero to do with race, creed, color, sexual orientation, etc. It's been a masterclass on Bad PR. Calling the hard core fans manbabies when they are the people that made your IP worth the price you paid for it? But rather than take a break and try to repair the relationship, they just crank out more and more content. If it weren't for the enormous investment they are making in Star Wars land, I would swear Lucasfilm was simply trying to get as much cash out of Star Wars as possible in the shortest amount of time and then discarding it.

9. Savory Griddles

10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’m not gonna lie, I shed a happy tear and my face had a gleeful smile the entire time. That laugh at the end, holy s***.

[​IMG]

raviator and Savory Griddles like this.
  11. Savory Griddles

Rise of Skywalker? So is Rey a Skywalker? If Palpy is back, it gives me hope Luke can be resurrected. Bringing Luke back as flesh and blood is one of the only things that can save this trilogy for me. Rey vs Kylo. Luke vs Palpy. Get er done.

12. Weezy

See, you just set yourself up for huge expectations that will now fail. Luke is dead, I took seeing the Death Star wreckage to mean they probably come across a hologram of Palpatine that sheds light on some stuff, or he reaches out to Kylo from beyond. I also don’t think Rey is a Skywalker. Unless Kylo is in love with his cousin, which I guess does still fit the saga, or at least ANH and ESB.

The little things actually excited me for this, seeing Lando, 3PO back in action instead of standing in the corner. 3PO in ESB is one one of my favorite characters ever, he is hilarious comic relief. It was only the prequels that made him annoying.

Kentucky Laker likes this.
  13. Savory Griddles

Nah. Me and all my friends hated The Last Jedi. We figure that on a scale of 1-100, our hope was at zero before the trailer. Now it's at about 3. :D

14. Weezy

RIP to a SW legend

TIME, alam1108 and Savory Griddles like this.
  15. DarthRekal

DarthRekal - Rookie -

US Army Aviation, Apache Armament
    Sadly Disney has killed this franchise and will stab a dead horse when dumb and dumber get a hold of the next trilogy

16. Weezy

This is great, I don’t remember seeing this clip before

17. Weezy

From D23 today, it’s happening, so freakin excited. This is the one SW story (now tv show) based on previously established characters that I have wanted all along. Now that it’s not a movie we get many hours instead to spend exploring the character, this is probably better than a movie, could be amazing.

TIME likes this.
  18. Weezy

Also, first trailer for The Mandalorian. Looks gorgeous and bada**, honestly to me, based off the trailer it looks like maybe the best SW thing Disney has done so far. Has the Star Wars feel, but also feels entirely new and a place we haven’t explored before aside from like some episodes of Clone Wars, never really live action aside from maybe tiny bits of Rogue One and Solo.

Helljumper, Savory Griddles and TIME like this.
  19. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    This is going to be on their pay Disney+ service right? It does look amazing, but I'm not sure I'll buy the service.

20. Weezy

Yes, it is. If it were expensive I’d say the same thing, but it’s $7 per month or $70 for a whole year, will have all Star Wars, Disney, and Marvel properties, plus I’m sure Fox stuff now too. And since Disney bought Fox you can bundle Hulu as well. Having Netflix, Hulu, and now Disney+ all together is really all I need, and it’s way cheaper than cable.

Savory Griddles likes this.