Standings Watch

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Feb 22, 2024.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

It's going to be a blast. Going through Steph and then Phoenix to walk into the first round buzzsaw matchup against the Nuggets.

[​IMG]

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

No easy road for sure. Thanks Ham.

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Beating GSW and Phoenix is definitely possible, but we'll just get rewarded with the broom in round one of the playoffs.

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it was clear to me a month ago that we were headed for the 9/10 (and likely 10) even if we picked up our play substantially.

i'll keep harping into the void about it--this is why you don't use the first 20-30 games as extended preseason. don't even consider this. all the "this is a marathon" stuff from players and coaches. balderdash! i'm guessing both kidd and ham will be fired this summer in part because both guys didn't take early portions of the season very seriously, and their very talented teams ended up in the lower rungs of the play-in.

lakerjones, Cookie and JSM like this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, Ham screwed us big time with that nonsense the first chunk of the season. Yeah we had injuries to Vincent and Vando, but you don’t sign your players back that got you to the WCF for 12-18 million dollars per year deals and then play guys making 6 mil and the minimum over them, it’s silly. We aren’t doing anything this year, we’ll be lucky to get in, and if we do Denver sweeps us again. I just hope we don’t overreact again and trade for an overpaid star, we’d have competed much longer if we never got rid of KCP, Kuz, and Caruso for Russ.

Kenzo, lakerjones, JSM and 2 others like this.
  6. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

Relax.Denver not going to be 1st.
    After they will get to playoffs Jokic and Murray will be missing games aka load management just like last season
    And Doncic right now is injured, so who knows how many games he's going miss
    P.S.Phoenix just lost to C Bags.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i will say that i'd prefer playing denver as a huge underdog. will be harder for malone's head games. i think he very intentionally (and skillfully) played up the "nobody respects us" angle. i wonder if aaron gordon gets tight from three (instead of hitting 4 or whatever) when they're expected to win every game by 20 and everyone knows it.

that said, i'd be very surprised if we beat gs and then dallas or phx, likely each in road games. one could argue that on paper, those three teams are as feared as anyone but the nuggets in the west.

teams are going to be jockeying to finish 3/4 in the top 4, imo. you'd much rather see untested pelicans and kings teams than squads led by veteran stars with tons of experience and rings.

8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Heading into tonight
    Screenshot_20240315_202931_ESPN.jpg

Tonight:

Pelicans vs Clippers. Need clipps to win.

Could use Charlotte beating Suns. Not happening. 16 point game midway through the 3rd.

abeer3 likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

honestly, the only teams to watch are phx/dal/gs. we're not catching sac or NO.

Kenzo and Cookie like this.
  10. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I think the Suns avoid the play-in.
    But damn, what a bloodbath if it's between us 4. Silver is salivating with this. Not only are 4 heavy star teams, which is great entertainment, you have the Luka Vs Booker and LeBron Vs Curry history lines.
    Pure cinema

Hats off to the Pels for holding it so long. I don't like their team but point Zion is working and they're consistent. Already had a few blowouts against good teams which gives them a higher ceiling.

For me the goal is to be top 8. Have an extra game and HCA if we lose the first. That can be decisive. I think we make it but it's getting tight

abeer3 likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i only said phx because after a few upcoming cupcake games, their last ten are all against teams ahead of them in the standings. now, some of them may have less to play for as we approach the end of the season, but seeding could still be up in the air, too.

i, too, am surprised NO got it together and stayed there. they haven't been able to do that in recent years, and it's basically the same team.

Zoyd Wheeler likes this.
  12. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Impressed with NO over the past 7-8 weeks. Remember that game early in the season when we beat them and we were all making fun of Zion's fatness? I watched another Pels game around 3 weeks after that and he had done a 180: he was everything we thought he'd be coming out of college. And yet he still looked like that roly-poly round mound of ground round. Maybe some guys need to simply cut out that second bag of Doritos With Cool Ranch and they're good. I don't know. But he was doin' it. He's not the only one executing for them, though.

OKC's overall play in the regular season - for such a young team - has also surprised me.

All I ask of the game coming up in four hours: we beat GSW and Cookie lays down the smack on GSW fans. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I do have one problem, though: Someone (it's Rui this time but it doesn't matter who) told a reporter this is a big game and the Lakers are treating it like a playoff...which for these guys has never been a good sign. They tell some scribe, "We had a meeting and realized what we need to do," then lose by 35.

STOP TALKING ABOUT UPCOMING GAMES beyond the both teams will play hard boilerplate of "They are a real good team." "We're gonna need every guy to step up." "They have some guys who can hit shots." "We just need to treat every game with the same intensity." "We want to play 48 minutes of effort. Team effort. And have fun." You know, all that meaningless twaddle we've all heard our whole lives. Anything else gives me the creeps.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]

abeer3, Kenzo and Cookie like this.
  14. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

This year has just sucked

Cookie likes this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Don't give us two days off. Bad things happen.

LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.
  16. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to 10th place. Yikes.

17. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Knicks went into SAC and beat 'em but none of us really cares right now after the no-AD so no-D maddening loss to GSW. I mean, I saw that SAC lost and it was academic to me. Sometimes Laker losses leave me numb.

Did you see? SAC lost at home to the Knicks!
    Uh-huh.
    Aren't you glad to see SAC lose?
    I suppose so. Force is equal to mass times acceleration. Managua is the capital of Nicaragua. SAC lost. Lassie never did come home. It is wut it is, man.

Having no Defense effing blows. Total lack of enjoyment here.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I won’t be surprised if Houston passes us and we miss the playoffs.

Kenzo and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  19. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    We had a great off season on paper, except for a bad draft, I was still optimistic for the season until Ham went full Simple Jack with his rotation and wasted away at least 20 games. Lost all momentum and players tuned him out

lakerjones, Kenzo and JSM like this.
  20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Yesterday
    1/3. Not good.

Screenshot_20240317_140224_ESPN.jpg

Today's games:

Suns vs Bucks
    Nuggets
    vs Mavs
    Hawks vs Clippers

Should be a 2/3 kinda day.

Bucks are nearly up 20 nearing the half, so that's worth noting.

Cookie likes this.