Standings Watch: Race To The Playoffs

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Feb 24, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I want us to make the playoffs but I don't think we will. As much as I don't want to be an entitled fan, I find myself worrying about making the last spot of the playin rather pathetic. I do NOT care if Lebron makes it back. This team will NOT have enough time to make it back to full strength and because of that, we are not winning a ring. Who cares if we make the playin?? To me, I have almost zero aspirations that are sensible. I mean, I pray they exceed my expectations and I will be rooting for them, I just do not think they are going to.

abeer3 likes this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'm honestly just hoping to get as high a pick as we can (pelicans lose plz) and wishing for better health next year and a chance to see this full squad in action with a training camp. assuming the FO doesn't bungle the summer, we should be an actual fringe contender next year.

alam1108, D-Fish Man and Wino like this.
  3. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    It is a more sensible approach. I think if I ran this team, I would shut AD down, and concede to next year. Try to improve our draft position. Think about our coaching situation seriously.

D-Fish Man and abeer3 like this.
  4. BadCoaching

BadCoaching - Rookie -

Going to be the 6th seed and win the champeenchip.

Book it.

Panko, Cookie, D-Fish Man and 2 others like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think there's middle ground, too. i don't see any problem trying to compete for the rest of the year. act like this is training camp for next year. try to find some winning combinations and see which players you want to prioritize in FA. but don't run AD or lebron or russell into the ground in pursuit of 9th place instead of 11th. i think we're quietly doing that. lebron's not being on the court pretty much confirms that we don't believe we can really make noise this year.

Wino, trodgers and VincePT like this.
  6. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

We might. Durant is still out, they have zero depth and Ayton is injured. If AD does not completely dominate them, then I really don't know...

LTLakerFan likes this.
  7. karacha

Also, I am very much into making the playoffs, one way or another. No, we're not a contender, we'll need more time and better health, but I want to watch my team play, and developing the culture of winning is important for the young team that these Lakers actually are right now. 1st round exit against DEN, losing in 6 for example, I'd be OK with, no hard feelings. Just keep playing and building chemistry.

But I do respect other positions/opinions here as well, no problem.

lakerjones, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'd obviously rather see the team have success. i'm just not as invested in what's happening with wins and losses right now as some. i also think it's been easier for me because i never really bought the idea that we were going to turn over half the team and flip a switch and just roll into the playoffs a juggernaut or something.

gcclaker likes this.
  9. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I want us to at least make the play-in and maybe make the playoffs too so that some of these younger guys can get a taste of playoff basketball. I think after the miserable year we had, we really owe it to our guys to make it into the playoffs at least. Nobody in the west scares me honestly...and you just never know with AD/Bron + depth on your team? Anything is possible.

Just get in there and see what happens. Best thign is if we don't make it...likey the pelicans won't either, and even if they do...we're swapping the 16th pick for the 14th pick...which is FINE to me because earlier in the year it looked like we were going to be the worst team in the west and pels were gonna be a top 3 team...so imagine going from like top 3 pick to 25th or something...THAT would have hurt.

At least at this point...we don't have any reason to lose games...and if we do...it doesn't hurt us as much anymore becuase the Pels have also fallen apart down the stretch. It's NEXT year that we have to be really good and probably the year after as well since Pels can choose either our 2024 pick or 2025 pick.

10. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

With that said - we need to have a make-up win tomorrow against the Suns and probably a make-up win against either the Clippers or Suns in April. The rest of the games, we should be able to win. No excuse to lose any other game on the schedule. That includes OKC and MIN. We have to WIN that is it. Forget about other teams hleping us - if we win our games, we make the playoffs.

karacha and lakerjones like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

guessing the pels will wait it out until 2025 in hopes lebron leaves or retires and we're stuck with no avenue for improvement in that year.

again, i want to make the playoffs, but having the 10th pick and a loaded roster heading into next year would be a nice consolation prize. with our luck, the pels will go on a 10-game win streak to close out the season or something.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Need to steal this one

13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

We don't have this easy schedule at all, I'm not following that logic. We have 1 game left against Houston, and then every team we play, is also fighting for a playoff spot, I don't get, what's supposed to be soo easy about that.

I just want to see who steps up, and who doesn't down the stretch, more than anything. The results will speak for themselves.

I also.. don't automatically assume, that this group is going to be great next season, just because they'll have a training camp together. Lebron is still going to miss games next season, maybe more than he did this one, AD too. The only guys that I'm sure will be here on opening night, are Lebron, AD, Austin, Jarred and Wenyen. The rest are being evaluated..I am pretty sure, that we'll try to extend everybody that we can on principle, but they may very well be on their way somewhere else this summer though.

14. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Beating Phoenix without KD and Ayton is not a steal.

15. karacha

If AD decides to show up, it's a W for sure. They have no one who can defend him.

Barnstable likes this.
  16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Taking advantage of an injury situation against a team who's a 4th seed when you're an 11th seed is.

Since this Drummond curse
    [​IMG]
    They've beat us 13 times, I believe.

Any win against them right now is a steal even if they're rolling out Landale and Wainright in their starting 5.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  17. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

If that's the case, then we simply suck, and might as well fold our tents. We should expect to win that game.

sirronstuff likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think we expected to win against dallas and expected to maybe a win a bit more comfortably against orlando, so expectations have been lowered.

Cookie, LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  19. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Lol..the team has to have the same mentality that we expect from Malik. So what I've missed 8 out of my last 12? I'm knocking the next 5 down! Shake it off and get back after it! Now is not the time to be lacking in confidence...player or team.

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  20. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Every dog has its day, hopefully tomorrow is the Lakers’ :giggle:

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.