Russell Westbrick Discussion: Clipper Gonna Clip

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jul 29, 2021.

1. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

This is really disappointing on all fronts and shows a real lack of leadership at the lakers which is our main underlying problem. It starts at the top with Jeanie and her office staff, goes to Rob and then LBJ.

instead of saying we all stuffed up, it’s a war of PR with every side trying to blame the other and save face. Disgusting.

2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. That was my point yesterday. Ultimately everyone signed off on the move so own it and fix the problems with the team.

lakerjones likes this.
  3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I’m knee deep in toddlers and Sonic 2 but I’ll try to find something on that tomorrow. It’s not the first time I’ve heard that but I can’t remember where.

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I've heard it as well this year on a couple of Laker podcasts from people with knowledge of the inner workings of the front office. How they framed it: it wasn't Rob's idea or his choice but he did like the move, definitely wasn't against it and did not make the move against his will.

I think it's clear he wanted Buddy. Rob is to Buddy as Vogel is to Bradley, that was clear when we tried to revisit Buddy with BOTH the Kings and Pacers.

I think Rob liked it and went to Jeanie with it and Jeanie saw $$$ signs. Russ is a name, known commodity world wide, LA and UCLA kid, had Kobe's stamp of approval. That plus the pressure from Klutch because this was their favorite option on the table and that ultimately tipped the scales.

5. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

"Russ never respected Frank from day one..."

If you haven't read the Woike/Turner piece from the LAT, ya really gotta. Remember that Denver game when they just didn't show up from the jump? I wonder who the cancer was? Hmmmm...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  6. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I’m going to throw a party when he gets traded.

Juronimo, Pioneer10 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Stein on our a Pacers option

There's definitely options for us this summer.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    karacha, Pioneer10, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  8. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah, that's a huge expiring contract. Teams will want it in order to get rid of players who either don't fit on their team, or are unhappy for whatever reason. You can't get a bigger expiring than this monster.

9. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Very glad to hear there may be some options for trading Russ this summer. We need to move on from him before camp.

10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

11. FrontOfJersey22

Worst Laker trade ever.

sirronstuff, Juronimo and shoe like this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

still just don't trust pritchard to negotiate in good faith with us. he's going to demand 2-3 unprotected 1sts in any deal with us, and honestly, any pick that's not heavily protected isn't worth it to me. hield's incredibly overpaid (monk was basically hield this year, imo), and brogdon, though talented, makes AD look like an iron man.

my pitch to them is that russ plays, haliburton can play off the ball (and thus won't be as negatively impacted as other guards might be by russ's presence), and indy's in a very unique position to let russ be russ and actually be better than they were last year.

for us, we'd be banking heavily on having some injury luck, but i think we're in that boat with AD and lebron anyway. in theory, brogdon/lebron/AD is nice-fitting, formidable group.

Pioneer10 likes this.
  13. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I said early that Knick fans would love to get rid of Randle….there’s a reason. Be careful what we wish for.

abeer3 likes this.
  14. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Ok, I'm back. Can't stay away.

I love Brogdon, and I'm probably the only one here who was checking box scores on how he was doing this season and keeping tabs on how many games he played.

He's injury prone, fellas.

Also, with respect to Charlotte and Hayward. Same issue.

You guys complain about Davis? You guys will throw fits with Brogdon and Hayward.

Just sayin...

15. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

AD/Lebron/Brogdon/Hield with Stan? Is a very tempting finishing lineup. Stan doesn't have to become a great shooter but if he can hit that open corner 3 that is legit monster on offense with good enough D to be a Finals caliber finishing linep

Brogdon defensive numbers indicate a mediocre/average defender which means he's way better than Monk/Westbrook and Hield's defensive advanced numbers seem to be getting better Actually this is clearly not true lol

abeer3 likes this.
  16. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

But we are not building around Hayward or Brogdon so it's not the same. AND to get one of them would be for a guy we HAVE to get rid off. So definitely don't mind them being injury prone. Heck, they are only options because they are injury prone

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  17. FrontOfJersey22

When finding a new home for Westbrick, all of the options will be limited. It’s not like we are trading a player who contributes to winning.

Pioneer10, NickthaQuick and JSM like this.
  18. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Simply getting rid of Westbrook and getting a new PG out of it is great. Anything else these injury prone guys can contribute is a bonus. Theoretically, everyone being discussed in this trade would be a much better fit than Westbrook. I mean, Hayward would be ideal if he wasn't injury prone, because that's exactly the type of guy we need.

19. FrontOfJersey22

Maybe the tables will turn in our favor next season and we won’t have our top players miss major time again? We can only hope.

abeer3 likes this.
  20. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I’m not really keen on the pacers option at all. I use to be really high on Brogdon if you check out my posts on here a few years ago. In Milwaukee he was a 50/40/90 shooter who made great decisions and had low turnovers. I thought he was an excellent option to play off of Lebron.

Since his usage went up at the pacers and he had more injuries, his shooting has suffered and he is a 44/34/85 shooter now with a below league average TS%. He also just can’t stay healthy, you can only pencil him in for half the games yearly and he’ll always miss the playoffs.

Hield is also fools gold, we got the same production from Monk for the minimum. I don’t want to pay those two guys 45 million for the next 4 seasons, if basically means that for the rest of AD’s prime, we’re going to be the equivalent of his time at the Pelicans, a 6th to 8th seed with no chance of winning it all.

The more I think about it, the more I think the best situation is to run it back with Russ and get off his contract in a year rather than throw more bad money at this problem and lock up average players for 4 years. At least after that we have AD on board and a few young guys and can try to build around him properly.

abeer3 and Slick2021 like this.