Romo Vs. Kaepernick

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by trodgers, Dec 14, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

If he was a slinger like Favre then he'd let go of the ball. Favre is the All-Time leading interception thrower in NFL history, he wouldn't have taken the sack. Romo isn't letting go of the ball. Maybe you know more than I do about Romo's mentality in that situation, but he's definitely not slinging like Favre would have. Favre wouldn't have taken the sack, he'd have thrown the ball into double or triple coverage and lived with the results.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Romo has been doing that his entire career. Favre let the ball rip and threw interceptions, Romo refuses to throw the ball away and takes sacks. Point being both would rather take the negative play if it means they get a chance at making a big play.

Romo doesn't let it rip right away because he feels he can evade any potential defender and then he will throw the ball deep most of the time. I've watched his entire career, he's not afraid of throwing interceptions, he just refuses to throw the ball away if he thinks he can escape (Which is 100% of the time) and make a big play.

He lives for the plays where he can escape pressure and make a 20+ yard pass for a completion.

3. therealdeal

That's even worse then.

I've watched Romo a long time and yesterday I watched the game with a friend who is a huge Cowboys fan and he was livid with Romo's inability to let go of the ball. Whether he's trying to escape or not, he must not have confidence that he can release the ball correctly. Otherwise he wouldn't have taken the sack when he was 10+ yards out of the pocket and trying to evade defenders. Just set your feet and throw. There's no reason to hold on to the ball in that situation. Even if you throw a pick or the pass is off target it's better than taking an eight yard sack. If he can't figure that out now it's probably not going to happen.

4. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Romo's still better!

5. therealdeal

:D

How long after the season before Kaepernick is traded to St. Louis or Cleveland or Philadelphia?

6. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if he'd be a fit in Kelly's system. See, there is still this thing about making the quick right reads, maintaining footwork in the pocket and completing passes all that... Kaepernick is an athlete, Romo is a quarterback.

therealdeal likes this.
  7. therealdeal

Not disagreeing, but the main point is he's done in SF. Crazy that they chose him over Harbaugh and now they're seeing how stupid that was.

8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Anyone still disagree with @trodgers original premise?

Romo -------------------> Kap

therealdeal likes this.
  9. gcclaker

Yes, Kaepernick's time there has run its course but the Tirico-Gruden discussion during that MNF game about him learning how to be a pocket QB with progressions, footwork and his throwing mechanics seemed odd to me. Either you are or you aren't. Kaepernick isn't unless the schemes are simplified to tailor to his skills. Then again he had a really good supporting cast around him so that he did not have go beyond his capabilities plus that superb defensive unit to lean on. Harbaugh kept it basic...like the old days. Now that is all gone.

therealdeal likes this.
  10. therealdeal

Harbaugh was brought in as a qb coach and he did a good job with Kaepernick. Now it's becoming clear that we're not going to see a traditional pocket qb from Kaep ever. It's just not something he can do at all and what we as fans have been saying. Weird that the whole franchise was willing to double down on him when it was kind of clear to us fans that it was a shaky proposition.

11. gcclaker

It just dawned on me that if Newton can become a very good passer that he is now...why not Kaepernick? Of course, one is Superman the other just bumbles around.

trodgers likes this.
  12. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I wonder. I've never been a fan of Newton, and I don't think he's nearly as good as his record looks. Still, he's looking far better than Kap.

gcclaker likes this.
  13. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I haven't seen many of Newton's games, but he looked good yesterday.

14. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Not really, but he didn't need to after his counterpart gave the game away with two pick sixes.

Romo is definitely a better QB than Kaepernick, but he hurt his collarbone again yesterday. Not sure he'll ever be able to play a full season again. Cowboys are pretty much in the same point as SF trying to find their next franchise QB.

My hope is he has the full offseason to get his collar bone completely healed and won't put it at risk for reinjury because of coming too soon. Dez's foot is clearly ailing him so he needs to get healthy again. They have to at the very least find them a compatent backup so they aren't in said mess again.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  15. gcclaker

There was a discussion on NFL Access about Romo's increasingly fragile state. Analyst Eric Davis pointed out that he was injured on a routine tackle and maybe the Pokes have to start considering who's out there to draft as his heir apparent.

trodgers likes this.
  16. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

He came back too soon because Jerry is delusional and thought the team could win out. Really anyone who comes back too soon is susceptible to a re-break of that bone. Luckily for Dallas it wasn't something more serious like another back injury or an ACL. They should've gotten their heir already. They had a chance to get Carr and traded up for a guy who only has four sacks this season.

17. PosterFormerlyKnownAs_MC

PosterFormerlyKnownAs_MC - Rookie -

Robotics Process Software Developer
    I'de like to think that Romo has way more skins on the wall to even have this debate........ he is towards the last part of his career yet has the 3rd or 4th best QB rating in the history of the game while the other lost his starting job ......... Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Kap but it's a bit of a joke to compare him to Romo. The problem is the bias towards the Cowboys muddies peoples perspectives of this player in both directions..... the numbers however in a large sample rate speak for themselves. Kap had a couple good years when he had a coach that got his team to out perform it's actual talent, he's got plenty to come but for now this is not really a debate...not even the eye test makes it a debate...... Romo has survived coaches, systems and his numbers other than a very short sample last year have been fairly consistent over the years...... the kid is a very good QB

18. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    One of these QBs is 4 - 2 in the playoffs (3-1 on the road). One is 2 - 4 in the playoffs (0-3 on the road). For comparison sake, Brady is 5-4 on the road.

I've said Kap has regressed. But give him Romo's O line and you'll see a him play a lot better. 49ers O line last year was a complete joke.

19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Not following closely after Kap no more in SF. Where did he wind up?

20. PosterFormerlyKnownAs_MC

PosterFormerlyKnownAs_MC - Rookie -

Robotics Process Software Developer
    he's still in S.F