Romo Vs. Kaepernick

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by trodgers, Dec 14, 2014.

1. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Prior to the season, and perhaps early on, there were still many people saying it was foolish to take Romo over Kaepernick. It's late in the season, the 49ers are eliminated, and the Cowboys are about to take command of the division at 10-4.

Romo has 3200 yards, 28 TDs, 8 INTs, 3 fumbles lost, and 36 yard rushing on 19 carries, and his Rating is close to 110.

Kaepernick has 3050 yards passing, 16 TDs, 10 INT, 4 lost fumbles. He has added 379 rushing yards, and his rating is around 85.

Isn't Romo the better QB? I expect flak - this is a Cali-based board for the most part :)

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Romo is a better QB. I'm pretty sure I've said that all along. I believe my argument was: Romo is the better QB, but Kaepernick is the better football player. I stand by that.

Look at Romo's line. They've got the best O-Line in football and that's a HUGE help to him. Not to mention it's time for Harbaugh to go. That offense doesn't make much sense anymore. They don't properly utilize their QB (see Russell Wilson in Seattle) and they've underutilized Gore/Hyde all season long.

trodgers likes this.
  3. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I got nothing. Disappointing season.

trodgers likes this.
  4. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    One thing I will say is, Romo has an AMAZING O-line. I've seen him stand there for 7 solid seconds. Kaepernick never had that amount of time. He usually has 2 seconds. The 49ers line fell apart this year. Our RT played 2 games. 4 guys started at Center. Our all pro LG was HORRIBLE (Iupati will not be back in SF next year).

Also, Romo has better receivers. Boldin and Crabtree have great hands, but neither are fast. Vernon Davis was 2nd in the league in drops, despite the 49ers losing all faith in him and not throwing to him anymore. Romo has the Kobe Bryant of TEs on his team, along with a top 3 WR in Dez.

But yeah, Romo had a much better year. Kaepernick was disappointing, along with every other facet of the 49ers. Depressing year. Thanks for the thread. Just made me feel worse. LOL

trodgers likes this.
  5. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I agree with many of those points, John, perhaps even all of them.

6. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Romo's Cowboys finish 12-4.
    Romo will finish at about 66% completions, 3705 yards, 34 TDs, 9 INTs.
    Dominant running game, sure. Now I'm interested to see if he can win a game in the playoffs and start reshaping his image.

7. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Suh has been suspended, so that'll help Dallas a lot. Dallas beat Seattle during the regular season, but I don't see that happening in the playoffs. I hate both teams.

8. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Romo is battling back troubles. If he goes deep in the playoffs with that hanging over him he would win many fans and silence his detractors. That label he's been burdened with now likely goes to Dalton or Stafford...maybe even both.

9. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I humbly say that Seattle is worse without Golden Tate. It was stupid of them to let him go. I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas wins a game or even two.

I think Stafford is much more in the crosshairs than Dalton. Stafford has crazy tools around him.

10. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Stafford and Dalton both beaten. Romo lives on.

11. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Kaepernick beat GB, in GB, twice in the playoffs. Romo does it I'll be impressed.

And what is up with that flag, non-flag. Horrible call. Just horrible.

trodgers likes this.
  12. therealdeal

Watching it live I thought it might have been Pass Interference, but watching the replay they were both all over each other.

Apparently Face Guarding isn't even a penalty in the pros? I thought it was, but the ref said it was only in college. Either way, the defender didn't get his hands up in time to Face Guard anyway. I thought the ball hit him in the back by the time his arms were coming up.

The one thing I don't like about that call was that the ref made the announcement already. If you're not sure about the call, don't announce it. He shouldn't have been able to take it back at that point.

TIME likes this.
  13. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Cowboys fans perspective.....

1.) It was pass interference - If it was the other way around, I would be pissed off to the highest degree

2.) Lions TE was clearly pushing the facemask of the defender with his hand to push him away. If Lions fans want to go by the book for the PI, they need to accept the fact that their player should have been flagged for illegal hands to the face as well.

3.) Final verdict - Offsetting penalties and re-due the down

I don't think you can hang on that play for that definitely losing the game for them. They scored 6 points after the 1st quarter, gave up 24 after the 1st quarter, had two chances to win on the final drive and failed to get Megatron really involved in the game, in a clear mismatch with Brandon Carr.

Oh well, Cowboys defense came up with multiple stops when needed, Romo came through, on to Green Bay.

TIME likes this.
  14. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I've always been a Romo fan. Yes, this year he has a great O line. But, it's the first time in his career he's had solid protection. It's not the first time he's put up good numbers. The line simply allowed him the luxury of not having to make magic all the time. So, he smartly dialed it back this year and just focused on winning games. The guy has the most 4th quarter comebacks in the NFL the last two seasons. Time to put the can't handle pressure line to bed.

Hope it's a great game next week. Packers should win, but the Cowboys have just a little of that thing Seattle had last year, so they might surprise.

trodgers likes this.
  15. gcclaker

Packer win not a gimme since Rodgers is dealing with a strained calf. He probably can't follow through with zip on passes like he normally could and he sure as hell won't scramble. Pack D is susceptible to the run.

John3:16 likes this.
  16. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    We all know I hate the Cowboys. But I really think they have a chance. Better than any other road team this weekend. Defense still wins and I'm far from impressed with GBs.

17. gcclaker

Rodgers held out of practice again. Maybe he's with Hans and Franz...rehabbing.

trodgers, therealdeal and TIME like this.
  18. therealdeal

We going full QB discussion? Because then it's time to talk Luck! That kid is my favorite player in the NFL right now and I'm a defensive guy. I love watching him play football. He's constantly learning and despite being one of (if not the) most hit QBs in the league, he's always a great sport about it. He's an ugly SOB, but I'm sick of pretty boy QBs anyway.

Everyone says Rodgers throws the best deep ball in the NFL, but Luck has to be close. Those two have the best release I've seen in a long time. Rodgers is more creative and more natural I think though around the line of scrimmage.

TIME likes this.
  19. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Luck is a stud. If I had one pick for the next 10 years it would be him.

John3:16 and therealdeal like this.
  20. therealdeal

I would too. He's the best young QB in the NFL and in a way he's overlooked because of guys like Kaepernick and Wilson who are obvious runners as QBs. Luck is sometimes turnover prone, but he's still my favorite to win a ring out of the young QBs not named Russell Wilson who has an absolutely great team around him.