Rob Pelinka Discussion: He's Scrambling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by OmarE, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

True. But at the same time, most of us has seen it comin...

2. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

He should have moved DLo as that was the plan with the contract.

Oh well

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i didn't see rui and reaves missing open jumpers left and right. that doesn't happen, we're up in this series.

he moves dlo for what was available to us and we miss the playoffs.

4. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Rui was a fluke last season (i still like him though). DLO is a certified playoffs choker... agreed about AR, makes me sad and pissed at the same time.

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Should have never gotten rid of this dude, one injury ruined playoffs and they panic and get Russ. Disaster

ElginTheGreat, Bryant and Juronimo like this.
  6. Meezy22

Meezy22 - Rookie -

yall need to quit acting like KCP was good on the lakers, revisionist history, this man was streaky and afraid to shoot does no one remember lebron had to yell at him to shoot cause he was afraid?

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he wasn't this good, but he was good and helped us win a ring as a starter.

at some point, we have to start wondering why our players play better elsewhere (i.e., the reverse popovich/spoelstra).

8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don’t agree with the Mike Conley part, but the rest is valid. We should have a GM, or at least assistant GM that is good around the margins and better at asset management. For example we’re yet again faced with another 2nd round pick being a restricted free agent this summer in Max Christie, and I don’t think we’ve handled his development the best either

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  9. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Yeah the dream was broken once we got Westbrick and is limiting what we can do now. That Caruso KCP Kuz LBJ AD lineup was the one.

But let's be real, was Jeannie really going to pay Kuzma, KCP?

10. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Kuz and KCP were flawed players, BUT THEY WON A CHAMPIONSHIP playing with AD and LeBron. Nobody will ever convince me that switching them out, along with not paying Caruso, AND going small were good decisions.

11. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

The Zubac and Russ deal were so bad.

Magic probably deserves most of the responsibility for that, but Rob was working with him, so you he has to take some accountability.

Rob executed the trade for WB, and while AD & LBJ gave their ok with it, he has to take some responsibility there, too.

We lost our "big man" in Zubac and our "depth" in the WB trade.

Bad, bad, bad.

Oh, and we let Caruso walk!

12. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Magic left after a year and was the rat in the FO leaking info to the media and claimed how Rob backstabbed him, Jeanie is his “sister”, etc. What a wonderful hire!

Westbrook was only with Rob.

13. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Westbrook was only with Rob?

That's the only one you blame him for?

I don't; if he's there, he's getting a bit of that blame.

IMO.

14. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Not really sure what the deal is, a lot of people on here wanted to run it back with the same squad, he probably should of tried to secure a proper big, but other than that we have essentially what most people wanted.

He tried to move DLo but as per usual the Laker tax means we have to give double the amount of any other team for the same player.

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  15. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

I'm not just referring to what he did last summer; although, I did like what he did.

In fact, I think most of us liked the Ham hire at the time. I know I did.

Hindsight is 20/20, but the right move, if he was going All-Klutch, would have just been to sign Ty Lue years ago. They didn't and got cheap or something happened I forget.

Vogel wasn't a bad coach. Ireland confirmed today that Russ was the reason we got rid of Vogel for the most part.

Lakers FO thought the 3 star model could work, and Vogel was the issue. Once Russ continued to behave in the same way and we kept getting piss poor results on the court w/him, they decided the problem was with Russ. ROFL.

There's so many layers and layers of crap here, fellas and ladies (Cookie). Idk even know where to begin anymore.

This is a big summer coming up. Very big. Rob is under the most pressure he's probably ever been.

anyway, it's 12:00 am, and I'm going to bed.

As always, Go Lakers! The good, the bad, and the ugly, I'm here for it.

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i feel like rob haters accidentally make his case for him by coming up with such ridiculous concerns (max christie's contract, ty lue, etc.).

what's wrong with christie's contract? he's an RFA that nobody is going to chase in a way that would make us balk. the same contract structure has reaves locked up at below market value for his prime years. three and four year contracts to 2nd round picks can also bite you in the a** because they require parts of cap space and exceptions to make and can end up being money and roster spots down the drain for a longer period of time. you can justify either path, imo, and it's pure monday morning quarterbacking to pick the right method three years later. again, rob's gambled twice in the same direction and been right twice. irwin has been wrong twice but still acts like he's right.

to me, rob needs to be held accountable primarily for letting caruso walk. i guess you can hold him accountable for russ, but that's not fair to me. again, he had fully brokered a different, less destructive (though pretty meh) trade before lebron and AD took over gm duties. he learned his lesson there and hasn't let lebron gm since, which has been great. we'd have missed the playoffs entirely this year had lebron gotten his trade deadline wishes.

the dlo contract that people whine about was a compromise because ownership is cheap. i'm certain we could have gotten a team option on the second year if the salary was much larger (and then we'd have had a big trade chip) but we're not footing the luxury tax bill for a potential trade chip. so here we are. i promise golden state or the clippers wouldn't have done it this way, and it's not because bob myers thought of something rob didn't. even the caruso fiasco reeked a bit of ownership asking him "is he really worth all that?" now, rob got that one dead wrong, but again, in a different organization, he's not having to worry about a couple million for a guy who started games when you won a ring.

i'd like rob to have someone with good connections next to him. and his absolutely botched paul george tamper attempt has haunted the franchise for years in many different ways (interestingly, his haters don't bring up the worst thing he's done as a gm). i'd totally replace him with an up and coming assistant gm, too, but that new guy would be facing at least some of the same restrictions that we have (financial limitations, glamor-chasing, the laker tax in trades, lebron (right now), etc.). the lakers gm job is harder than other ones, imo.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  17. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

The jury is still out on Rob, this offseason will be huge.

18. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Honestly. I don’t feel like anyone in the front office has really done anything to warrant defending them.

The one exception is the scouting department.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Holding you to it Rob

VladeD714 likes this.
  20. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

We have 2-3 more seasons with AD.

They'll go all in with LBJ and AD next year.

Will be a wild summer.

IMO

sirronstuff likes this.