Rob Pelinka Discussion: He's Scrambling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by OmarE, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Stan would have allowed us to not go to 3 or 4 guard lineups.

2. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    About the THT/Beverley trade and SJ:

We didn’t throw in Stanley for no reason. Salaries wouldn’t have matched if it was just THT for Beverley straight up. We had to throw in another contract. It was either Stanley or Wenyen. I was upset at the time for throwing in Stanley instead of Wenyen, but I actually think that turned out to be the right call.

If the suggestion is we should have just not made the THT/Beverley trade at all so we could have kept Stanley AND Wenyen too, I don’t know if I agree with that.

As bad as Beverley has been, I think he’s been more productive than THT would have been. THT is just as invisible on offense but not nearly as good a defender.

But more importantly, Beverley’s contract gives us more flexibility. All the trade ideas we’ve been speculating and hoping for the past few weeks involving Beverley’s expiring contract, probably wouldn’t be possible with THT there instead. THT is pretty much a lock at this point to opt into his player option. I think he’d be seen as a negative asset on the trade market whereas Beverley is neutral (borderline positive) solely on the basis of being an expiring.

Now if we squander that flexibility and can’t find a way to flip Beverley into a more productive player, THEN I can wrap my head around THT for Beverley being a bad trade. But I really do think we’ll be able to find a decent trade involving Bev.

pika1708, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

LMAOOOO

ElginTheGreat, TIME, JSM and 2 others like this.
  4. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Haha he’s so full of s***, snake oil salesman. He’s also called himself the custodian of LeBron’s legacy before. Personally I think there’s good reason Magic also called him a snake before, seems like the type that would do and say anything to keep their role.

6. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Everything we can, picks included? Sure, count me in. ;)

7. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Sure, whatever you say bro.
    Nobody believes a word this guy says and it’s kind of sad at this point.

8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

You be Rob then..what moves would you have made after the bubble that would have made us better today?

9. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Nobody seems to have the better alternative plan. Lots of criticism but no real answers on what should have been done.

10. JDLakersFan2019

JDLakersFan2019 - Rookie -

How about not blowing up a championship roster?

11. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Sounds simple but what blow up are you talking about? Rondo, Javale, Dwight and Green? Was it as simple as bringing them all back after the bubble?

12. FrontOfJersey22

Jeanie is the biggest problem: she first empowered Magic, who was a complete disaster and then Rob who is almost as bad.
    I would not have let Brook Lopez walk out the door for absolutely nothing.
    If I were in Magic’s shoes, I definitely would not have traded away a starting caliber Center in Zubac for rental trash.
    I also would be a lot smarter in trying to get PG- you know, not doing stupid things like telling the world on a nationality televised talk show who I was wooing. I also would not have treated the job as GM of the Lakers as a part time hobby- it would have been my first priority.
    As for Rob:
    I Would have kept Markief Morris and Caruso. I Would have kept MCGee or replaced him with a different mobile big to start at the 5. I Would have never traded for a third star, especially not one as Ill fitting as Westbrick. I would have kept both KCP and Kuz if I couldn’t move them for good pieces in return. Harrel looked good on paper, but Rob did his homework beforehand, he would have seen how terrible Trez was on D.
    I would have kept the model of surrounding AD and LeBron with shooters. There are so many moves that fans have no idea are possibilities every season. Pau was one of them. It’s not my job to have this insider information. All we get is the rumors from the talking heads.
    I also would have traded THT for a better package than a washed up BevMo.
    It hasn’t been all bad. He was able to complete the AD trade,
    With literally no other GM bidding against him.
    The Monk signing was good, but only lasted a year.
    Walker has worked out so far, but we’ll have to wait and see if Rob can convince him to stay.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Magic drew James and set in motion the AD trade. I can't remember, but I believe the Zubac thing had something to do with salary cap space or something. Still 2 out 3 is cool.

Rob did give away too much for AD in draft picks but a chip is a chip. I would have kept both Javale and Dwight after the bubble.
    I would have kept Caruso over Talen.

I would have still made the Westbrook trade, if AD had been healthy, I would be able to say definitively whether it was a good idea or not.

AD is the wildcard IMO, If he was healthy these last two seasons, we would have still been a contender. Caruso, Reaves and Monk would have been solid enough with a healthy AD, Javale and Dwight last season IMO.

So basically I'm keeping AD'S bodyguards, keeping Caruso and letting the chips fall where they may.

14. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

He's setup this team for a Brick trade. Two smallish PGs to run point and was expecting to get some size back in the trade on top of the smallish PG you signed last year instead of keeping your own giys

Now it hasn't happened and so you get a roster that is f***ed because the coach has to showcase these small guys?

lakerjones and NickthaQuick like this.
  15. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Brick is the final nail in the coffin of any semblance of competitiveness for the Lakers. Nothing to cover for AD’s perennial injuries.

This is why letting guys like Randle, Brook Lopez, not to mention the Eagle, walk for nothing or giving away Zubac was disastrous. No asset preservation plan, just destructive swinging for the fences lol

16. FrontOfJersey22

We will forever disagree on the Westbrick trade.
    As for Magic luring LeBron. Nah, he came here for business reasons, not basketball ones. This Franchise was a mess and aside from the short Bubble run, it still is. Without that much needed rest before everyone started back up again in Florida, LeGM’s and AD’s bodies were in no shape(injuries) to compete for a title.
    Nobody’s opinion that he came here for the best opportunity to win will ever convince me based on the reality of the situation.
    That being said, I hope you enjoy some quality Christmas time with your loved ones.

17. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

18. FrontOfJersey22

Yes there is. Time for our FO to continue pretending they care about properly building a real team.

Khmrp likes this.
  19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

Chilling somewhere at his mansion in the hills with a bottle of vintage wine and laughing his butt off as he thinks bout how jeanie gave him a raise and an extension

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Ham asking for a real roster

Rob:
    [​IMG]

FrontOfJersey22, lakerjones and Weezy like this.