Rob Pelinka Discussion: He's Scrambling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by OmarE, Feb 21, 2017.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm with pika (save that i know weezy, is, in fact, a grown up) and have made all of those points in the past, in addition to repeatedly asking where this supply of 6'8" wing defenders who can shoot is located so that i can become an nba gm and win a lot. nobody has been able to name anyone who fits the description that has been available, much less for the mini mle or what we had to offer in trade (even pre-russ).

i'm not here trying to argue that rob's a great gm--not sure i believe in the concept of the "great gm", btw--but i am here to say that a) all our problems start and end with the russ trade and b) rob negotiated a whole-a** other trade that was set to go down before everyone else got involved. this is very well-documented and, again, speaks to our messed up organizational structure more than rob's own acumen. getting rid of rob will not get rid of that issue. bring in any supposedly great gm, and they would have dealt with the same stuff.

i actually agree with jeanie giving rob a real chance to dig out from this mess, as she knows very well that he didn't dig it himself and actually had us on a better path when he was driving the bus. same as when magic was here--notice the real bonehead marginal moves all happened during that period. so while everyone mocked rob getting an extension, it's one of the few things upper management has done that i agree with. now he's not looking over shoulder all the time, and instead of getting gouged to finish 7th, we're likely to retain all or most of our assets going forward while finishing 10th. you're in they play-in, either way. but to me, that's water under the bridge and final payment on the russ toll.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

he may have been a great Agent but his eye for talent as a GM is lacking

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he's made the best FA signing of a young player for two consecutive years (monk, walker).

bryant and brown were both good vet min pickups, too. i think he knows who can play. lebron and AD don't.

LTLakerFan, TIME and lakerjones like this.
  4. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I’m down on Rob and the FO but I think either his or the staff’s eye is actually pretty good. Monk was a great signing last year and Walker looks just as good to me.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    LTLakerFan, ZenMaster and abeer3 like this.
  5. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

Rob go get Bojan and we win it all. AD and Bojan would be unstoppable. The only thing that could stop that combo would be if Ham decided to play Bev instead of Bojan...lol.

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

i want bojan too but come on now. they're not a bojan away from winning it all, not even close

7. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

i mistated, i mean his ability to assemble balanced team isnt there

lakerjones likes this.
  8. lakerjones

Agree with you completely on that one.

9. lakerjones

Love it. But I’m also really high on Bojan. Here’s the thing though we do need still a couple/few more pieces than him and the problem is the ask is quite high. They want one of our FRP’s. In an ideal world sure I would trade Nunn BevMo and Jones and one FRP (protected) for Bojan and do a second trade for Russ and the other pick. Just not clear if we can make the move for Russ we want with only one pick left to deal. Would love to get the Indy deal for one pick. But Indy won’t budge. Alternatively though maybe Rozier, Oubre and Plumlee as the second move. We would be all set with them and Bojan. Gives us a high volume high percentage three point shooter, a capable starting PG, a capable 5 to eat up some of ADs minutes there and hopefully preserve him and a bench scorer in Oubre.

10. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

I didn’t like the Pat Bev trade at the time and I still don’t. Not because we traded THT, but because we got an 6’1, 35 year old guard in exchange to play wing defense and threw in Stanley Johnson, a player we could have used, especially since JTA is out (though he’s been disappointing).

11. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

This is a fact. Anyone denying it just isn’t paying attention to the rest of the League.

wcsoldier81 and JSM like this.
  12. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Ha! Trevor Lane just said that the Lakers did call the Wizards asking about Kuzma’s availability.
    Maybe Rob is learning???

13. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

Lakers need a sniper, Bob pull the trigger on Bogdan

14. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Bogdan would get injured instantly. Bojan on the other hand is g2g.

lakerjones likes this.
  15. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

True. But they are a Bojan away from being a playoff team. And at this point, that's a success in my book. You have to start somewhere. Bojan is an ideal fit.

16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

of course, as i stated id want him too n he would help us to be a playoff team but we're quite far from being contenders, just cause they kept it close to better teams n beat the bucks doesnt change anything imo

karacha likes this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i mean, the 2020 title winning team was pretty balanced, as was the team the following year. he's had trouble ever since 40% of our cap went to a net-negative player.

i didn't like it, either, but i really think it was as much about getting out of THT's contract as it was getting bev. stan as a throw-in was quite annoying, though, i'll give you that. didn't need to do that.

LTLakerFan and Juronimo like this.
  18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Rob always loses around the margins, the Stan throw in was on brand. We didn’t need Stan though apparently because Troy and Wenyen were gonna get all those minutes, who needs MULTIPLE wings that can guard all 5 positions? Ludicrous! This is a guards league.

19. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

rob lost on the margins in the russ deal. previous deals had magic's fingerprints all over them, imo.

in fairness, i'm not sure stan is better than troy or wenyen (or JTA, if he were healthy), but yeah, why not have another one?

LTLakerFan likes this.