Rob Pelinka Discussion: He's Scrambling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by OmarE, Feb 21, 2017.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I personally feel Lillard is done as a star. For some reason I'm not recalling specific details, but I was left with the impression that the injuries he's had - he won't be the same moving forward. Could be completely wrong and hope nothing but the best for him, but I suppose I'm thinking that's a lot to give up for him.

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

On Dame, I'd give up anything not nailed to the floor at Crypto. He's one of my favorites in the game and truly has Mamba mentality.

On the packages you listed, I agree. For Wall, I'd want picks from them because I think they release him if we don't take him. Charlotte (GH + Roz), I'd give them one unprotected and protect the other. Indy, depends on the return... if you can get Turner (if cleared medically), they can have the picks + THT as well.

alam1108 and lakerjones like this.
  3. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Any 1st rd pick attached to Gordon Hayward's name should be a fireable offense. Turner and Hield maybe, I think Monk is better than Hield tho. Wood and Gordon cool. Dame is outta reach.

CarolinaLakerFan likes this.
  4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

If GH is the headliner, I'm skeptical. If he's second billing in a Rozier deal, I'm in.

I think Hield is overpaid, but he's Rob's dream match. He's gone after him 3x in the past calendar year. There's few things he wants more in life than to see Buddy in a Lakers jersey. Plus, he might be more attainable than Monk given our limited options in free agency.

I don't see Houston doing a deal that doesn't involve Wall. HOU will push it, Klutch will push it. I'd rather avoid that interaction entirely.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

no unprotected 1sts unless an allstar in his prime is coming back. just too big a gamble. again, AD was easy for me. 25 year old two-way superstar. you can have the unprotected picks. lillard is on the wrong side of 30 and coming off injuries. nope.

protected picks? i'm definitely listening.

still mad we gave up the first for westbrook when we should have been the ones receiving it. said so when the rumor popped up. that was just bad negotiating, imo.

6. Slick2021

I don't think Rozier is really any better than Nunn, if Kendrick is a full go, I wouldn't want anything from Charlotte. Those two make more than Russ and are on multiple year deals. Hield is owed 3 more years, I believe, with our luck, his shot would immediately go south once he got here. Turner tho depending on his foot issues is a great idea. I'd be skittish of Brogdon.

I'd dangle Talen and Nunn for Wood straight up. Here in Houston the rumors are that Wood could be had, and that he wouldn't mind going to a contender. Wall..pass..he might get bought out, but he's not rushing it.

7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Great post @Toklat :rock:

Toklat likes this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

objectivity does. it's sort of not at all close? rozier in the past two years has graded out much better, and he isn't coming off a mysterious season-long injury that was literally chalked up to "wear and tear".

if a 20/5/4 guy who shoots 40% from three and can initiate an offense was a FA, he'd get paid big time this offseason. and he frees up nunn/THT to be used in other trades to shore up our many, many other deficiencies.

and yes, the last year--maybe even two--of that contract may be overpays. but i mean, nothing compared to how much we overpaid russ to be actively harmful on the court last year and next year.

9. Slick2021

At 90 million plus over the next 4 years..no thank you. Again if Nunn is a go, I'd stick with him. Russ comes off the books entirely next season, and we could wag about it all day, but I’d rather see the trio actually play a full season over investing that kind of dough in another small guard for 4 years. I'd rather keep Russ and trade Nunn and Tucker for Wood or Turner.

abeer3 likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think if we had 22 million to spend and rozier was a FA, we'd be at his door at midnight with the bag of cash, for better or worse.

11. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

So who do you think Russ should be traded for?

It's an absolute steal to get Rozier for Russ, imo. He would shoot lights out. We wouldn't keep Monk though, they are redundant. But Rozier is from another breed. He would feed off LeBron and would be a good trade asset for a superstar moving forward when he gets to the end of the contract. A rebuild team might bite his last 2 years of contract

alam1108 and JSM like this.
  12. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I mean we offered that essentially to Dennis Dumkopf and he sucks.

abeer3, LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.
  13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]
    There's a reason one makes 4x more money then the other. If Nunn was Rozier, Riley would still have him in Miami.

14. pika1708

In regards to Pelinka, I don't blame him on Russ, just for not stepping up and the poor roster construction, which he compensated throughout the year by signing the right guys like Stan and Gabriel. It shows they have identified the mistake and weren't stubborn, it's a good sign. And then he sweetens it by saying no to LeBron at the deadline by not losing picks in a lost cause.
    Very curious for this summer, he's under pressure so let's see how he answers.

I love this team:

Reaves | Ingles | Cory Joseph
    Rozier | Hayward | Nunn
    LeBron | Stan |
    AD | Covington | Melo
    Whiteside | Plumlee | Gabriel

That's an awesome team. Size, defense, some shooting and tons of playmaking (which also means guys who can handle the ball, attack the basket and pass it out with quality). We would also have coverage of injury prone guys like our big 2 and Gordon. It would be a big turnaround after the failure of this season

Even if we don't get the Hornets deal, we could replace them for RoLo, Monk and T.Prince or Warren or even Dean Wade/McDaniels/Okogie. It would be an obvious downgrade but we would still have 2 trade assets on Russ and THT. If this team can improve, we have to move them

Definitely the guys I would be prepping a charm strategy this offseason are:
    Covington: add playing with LeBron/AD to resume, continue to live in LA, have a stable and meaningful role playing the stretch 4/5 that AD likes (and possibly have more minutes with his injuries)
    Ingles: play for a championship. He comes from Utah so has nothing to lose. Ease his burden at this stage of his career with a bunch of guards to give him some nights off while having the role to lead the second unit and possibly be in the closing lineup if his defense is on par
    Whiteside: his place in the league is in danger, he better off assume that he will play 20mpg in any team in today's NBA. Here he can play in a team that gives meaning to his career, have an eye on a ring and be a starter alongside AD.

alam1108 and sirronstuff like this.
  15. Slick2021

A trade centered around another mobile athletic 4/5 not another guard. I'd like to see AD get a front court running mate more than anything. The league is trending back towards size, we already have one of the best modern bigs in AD. Pairing him with another guy with similar traits is ideal for me. I understand that James is getting older, but he can still play at a high level for a couple more seasons IMO. If a Westbrook trade netted a shooter/playmaker in the process great. The big would be my main target tho.

Toklat and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. Slick2021

That's not the point..I'm talking about what this team needs IMO. It's size not shooting. I'd rather spend my capital chasing that. Rozier isn't going to move the needle more than another stretch 4/5 next season or beyond IMO. So no, I don't think he's much better than Nunn if he's healthy for us.

17. pika1708

But who? There's 30 teams, it's not hard

18. Slick2021

I've already said that any trade involving guys like..Turner, Wood, Jerami Grant, or I'd take Julius too in some kind of deal. It doesn't have to be a "star". I'd take a stab at Bagley if it was on the cheap.

My ideal situation would be to net Wood and Turner and sign a guy like Covington. These guys don't make tons of cash so maybe a Tucker/Nunn for a piece, Russ for another one, plus a shooter/facilitator. That's a homerun for me. It's about time we shift our focus towards Anthony next season and beyond IMO. Lebron James is a still a bad man, (the stamina ain't what it used to be), but he can fill in the blanks in the backcourt with whatever we got back in a trade. Man give AD a posse of cats like that?...This team would be amazing..We'd still have Reaves, Gabriel, Johnson, maybe find some way hold on to Monk. And have a few slots left to fill out the roster. We should innovate, not copy other folks. That's how we got the chip in the bubble, we played small ball with size and length.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  19. pika1708

Turner is impossible.
    Wood is on the Rozier level, would prefere him too if we could of course. But the thing is that Rozier comes with, at least, Gordon attached, which I think could be a difference maker for us, specially later in the season. Wood comes with Wall, meh. It's a tough one
    Grant I don't think would be available with our assets. But if he would be, to get him for Russ would be great too
    Julius is the Westbrook of forwards. Hard pass on him, he doesn't fit at all imo.

I agree with the view of strengthening our frontcourt, but I don't believe there's many options available/that fit

20. Slick2021

What makes Turner impossible? Who said that Wood had to be attached to Wall? I don't want any parts of Hayward period, I saw that guy's foot twisted 180 degrees, I doubt he will ever make it through a full season, or 50 games again. Wood, Turner and Grant are all on expiring deals. All three can be had IMO. None of them are on big contracts, Grant at 20 million per makes the most cash. I still like Julius he can play inside and out, and he makes less than Rozier too. I don't think any of those guys are out of reach at all.