Rob Pelinka Discussion: He's Scrambling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by OmarE, Feb 21, 2017.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Zen Vogel this season

2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Same with the Nets and Kyrie

3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Kyrie's mental health issues far surpass anything covid related. I mean no disrespect to him or mental illness either. But he's one guy that I'm losing sleep over if I'm his GM. I would not be surprised if tomorrow he announced he is retiring, because he's bored with basketball.

He's always seems like a guy who's hooping just because he's always been really good at it, that's the direction he was pushed since a kid, and he likes the $. I don't for one second believe he has any love for the game.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  4. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

That's Morc, to you.

abeer3 and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Video of the 20 minute Q&A

6. OX1947

He'd be doing everyone a favor if he did retire. I would never have him on my team if I was an owner. His focus is terrible. His health is always an issue. Reminds me alot of Rashard Mendenhall, former Steelers and Cardinals running back. They seem to want to be more voices than players. If that is the case, then go do it. Stop wasting everyone's times with you local of want.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  7. OX1947

Rob always has the thumbnail pics that look like he knows something no one on the planet knows. And it's great.

8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

So...how does this really work? Will he still be paid for the 41 games he sits out? I mean this is not an injury situation

sirronstuff likes this.
  9. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Stay tuned. He also tried to abstain on religious grounds which the NBA would not recognize. That could get dicey. Wondering myself if he's some unicorn that by now still knows no one or of no one, personally, that has died from it who should not have at this point in their lives. I mean he played with KAT and look at that sad situation. 7 including his mom.

10. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

11. OX1947

Not everyone is the same. Not every immune system is the same. People are dying and getting sick being vaccinated too. I do not like that those reports aren't being highlighted as well.

We are climbing a very slippery slope that is continuing to get even more slippery. We are outing people's medical condition and whether they are taking medicine or not with immunity. This is illegal. This is highly illegal under HIPPA laws and human decency laws.

Now, we know and report about people's medical conditions, call them names and ostracize them for it? Do you not see a pattern here, people? You think it's because of the greater good, but once you start down that road, you put yourself in a position to look like a massive hypocrite when other subjects are discussed. IE.....ABORTION.

This is not good. Stop criticizing people who do not want to participate in a situation that is still unknown, even for the medical world.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

It is being reported that immunized people are getting sick and some even dying. That's how nasty this s*** is. I understand your other points. And they are GOOD ones. But in a team discussion franchises across sports are doing what they can with the facts that time out from catching it and chances of being severely ill and dying are statistically less if vaccinated by a great deal.

13. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

As always, please try to stay away from subjects that aren’t sports related. I know the vaccine status of a player can pertain to our discussion but let’s try not to take it beyond how it affects basketball.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  14. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Are we talking about his shot selection?

See what I did there? :Brows:

15. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
    I would tend to agree except for the fact of his relationship with Kobe. Kobe saw something in him yes, but Kyrie has also talked about reaching out to Kobe and wanting to learn his habits and methods and I don't see anyone doing that unless they have at least some pure love of the game

IE Lakers likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Unless it’s written into the collective-bargaining agreement, I would think they would have to pay him. But it is nice to know that our team probably won’t have to deal with those questions.

if there is not a clause in the current agreement they would allow to facilitate a situation such as this, I’m sure it will be in the next one.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Was pondering on this a bit after the Athletic article...

How much of the font office maneuvering is Rob and how much is Bron? Are you comfortable with Rob having the keys when Bron retires? And will Klutch and AD still have influence in the front office in the post LeBron years?

Here's what I think: I think Rob is a cater-to your-star-GM. Which fits him well because he's used to catering to top talent with his history as an agent. Fits well in LA, because we're star chasers and you have to keep them happy. I'm a little concerned whether he can lure a superstar by himself just because he hasn't had to do it. Bron got AD and Bron got Russ. I'm hoping Bron will help set us up on his way out.... maybe it'll be Bronny.

I think Rob will involve the elite talent in the decision making process as much as they want to be as long as they have a propensity for it. Bron loves to be shadow GM and it's worked out pretty well over the course of his career. It's why the so called extension he gave Vogel is a joke. It lines up with when Russ and Bron's contracts are up, so he wants us to be in position where if they retire/ leave then the new superstar can have a say in the next coach. I think it's s***ty because by that point, I expect Vogel will have us two rings, you're not going to find better, and you should reward those results. I get the logic, but I still don't like it.

I think Rob knows the cap well, proving the naysayers wrong from jump. I think he can build and fill out a roster. His batting average is pretty good on moves that Bron wouldn't concern himself with, other than giving a thumbs up or down on. After the early-mid 30s group of stars leave, the wave behind them do not seem to be power brokers or interested in that, not the way that the Bron, KD, Kawhi, Butler, Beard, and a couple others have shown to be. So will a star from that next wave want any input? Will ADs voice get quieter after Bron? Will Bron dissolve his stake in Klutch so he can join a front office? Klutch has power now because it's backed by Bron, does it still carry weight without him? Are their strong arming techniques, like the Simmons-Philly showdowns, work without Bron?

Just some scattered, various thoughts I had regarding our current front office model after that article and Melo calling Bron the GM in an interview last week Most of these hopefully won't know or find out for several years.

abeer3, alam1108, TIME and 2 others like this.
  18. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I think Rob will do fine after Lebron is gone. Kobe loved Rob and I think that speaks volumes. Whether Rob had anything to do with the early negotiations with Melo wouldn’t be able to be discussed publicly because it was before free agency and we could get in trouble. I think the younger players will become more interested in their own destiny as they get older. They will have watched how the older guys did it and go from there.

abeer3, IE Lakers, TIME and 2 others like this.
  19. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think fans have expressed frustration at everyone just at different times.

Frank is catching heat (at least today) because despite the other issues he made some questionable substitutions to say the least.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021