President Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by TIME, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    people suck, when really bad things happen, all they want to do is spend their time bashing their political opponents. F em all!!!

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I first thought Trump would win the election in November, but with all the things coming out about how he didn't act quickly enough (and some of them are pretty damning), I'm not sure he can survive this. I honestly doubt anyone else would have handled it much better. South Korea and Taiwan are handling it well because they dealt with SARS, so a respiratory epidemic wasn't theoretical. To the rest of the world, this thing would have been theoretical and that's tough to get people to take seriously.

sirronstuff likes this.
  3. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I think Trump's response is going to be that those departments had already been completely mismanaged by Obama and that he had to clear them out before he could rebuild them. Unfortunately, this is pretty true across the board. The ONE thing that Obama was really good at was getting his people instituted in almost every Federal department he could, hence the concept of the "deep state". His people are everywhere and they are doing everything they can to thwart everything connected to Trump. It's off the scale and unprecedented. If you think about it, while this shiiiit was gaining steam, the Dems where putting 100% of their energy into impeachment, and Trump had to put at least 50% of his energy into defending it. Maybe if all that BS was NOT going on, everyone would have been paying MORE attention to this problem and we would be in a better position today. ??? Food for thought.

One more thing to take into account. Put Europe together as one mass, they are not much larger than the USA and their population is not twice ours, depends how you break it down. But as one mass, they are already over 7,400 deceased!! I mean that is a huge order of magnitude larger than ours. Considering our size and our ability to travel and our business climate, we have actually done a pretty good job at keeping this thing at arms length. It could be massively worse, so to some degree, count your blessings and don't try to pin this horrible thing on Trump. It ain't his fault and frankly the USA is in a way better outcome position than most other corners of the world. On top of that, you know that you cannot trust a single thing uttered by Russia or China in this regard. Russia is saying it barely exists in their country. 233 total cases and 1 death!!! Yeah right!! China is saying that all their cases are nearly 90% recovered. Once again, yeah right!

Count your blessings, stay positive and don't fall into the trap of blaming this all on Trump. Nobody could be managing this thing successfully! NOBODY!!

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  4. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    As your next comment literally goes on to blame Obama and the Democrats impeachment for our nation’s current lack of preparedness.

5. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

There is no doubt about it: Trump handled this VERY poorly early on due to him saying it will likely end in April and him bragging about the low infection rate/the amount of people dying via a seasonal flu vs this coronavirus. But there is still an unknown regarding this virus and how much of an effect it was going to have. Trump prioritized the economy but this is the responsibility of China. Early studies from over a decade ago had implicated that this was a ticking time bomb in regards to species of bats harboring various coronaviruses.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2851503/

China began allowing the farming and eating of these animals due to famine decades ago and did NOTHING to stop it despite their rapidly growing economy over the decades. They then hid it from the world and prevented sources from leaking. IMO, China knew that this would affect their economy negatively and intentionally sabotaged the rest of the world so they wouldn't fall behind. Now they are LYING about their infection rates so they can try and ramp up economic production KNOWING that the rest of the world are months behind China in knowing about this virus. After this virus is remedied, the United Nations needs to punish China in some shape or form.

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I’ve also heard it called a snake virus but that was just one article compared to if you have read much more on the suspected origin, which it sounds like.

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I haven't, but that's pretty sad.

Wino and Lakeshow85 like this.
  8. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Just trying to point out that there are "other" points of views and "other" explanations. And certainly the BS impeachment process does lead to "other" implications.

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  9. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Thats because Im responding to your defense of his actions. If you wrote about congress, i'd reply to that. Common sense bud.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Helljumper and jbiggs like this.
  10. johnnyboy

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Apparently you don't think people should be held accountable? I just donated 800 n95 masks I gathered from friends, family, co workers to my local hospital. Im doing
    my part. But acting like people haven't dropped the ball is unpatriotic. People are dying because of these mistakes.

Helljumper and LTLakerFan like this.
  11. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Great video by Tim Pool.

Lakeshow85, sirronstuff and John3:16 like this.
  12. Lakeshow85

Lakeshow85 - Rookie -

No people are dying because they are infected by the virus and their bodies don’t fight it. What I’m getting at is literally nothing anyone could have done... late, early, or on time would have prevented those people from dying or prevented people from getting exposed/infected. It’s time people put the blame where it’s actually warranted... on the virus.
    :DemarcusRef150:

John3:16 likes this.
  13. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

Nice try, sucka. My post you were responding to said Trump did some bad and some good things. I didn't defend him purely out of bias as you are clearly attacking him for political affiliation reasons. Saying he should have stopped the China travel months before? LOL... USA was probably the first country to stop travel from China. At that time, China wasn't letting much info out until it became evident that it had already gotten to the rest of the world through leaks. It's funny that you're reaching incredible lengths to blame Trump yet refuse to give him credit for inbound travel to America much sooner than most countries. This is arguably going to be the most devastating economic impact the world has seen in modern civilization. Stop acting like Trump is responsible for these deaths. A lot of people play a large part in this - including common folks like us. It's easy to blame Trump for this virus when you have nothing else to work on, though.

14. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Thoughts on Trump’s push to already loosen lockdown restrictions? I didn’t know what timeframe he was talking about, but last night he retweeted a post from his daughter where they took one of the original infographic about lockdown recommendations and replaced “15 days to stop the spread” with “8 days to stop the spread”. There was also Republican from Texas on Fox News suggesting senior citizens might be willing to take the chance and sacrifice their life for the good of the economy. Later Trump tweeted about how Americans want to return to work and we can still practice social distancing and treat our seniors tenderly.

In my opinion this is incredibly irresponsible and ignoring the reality of the medical situation. We’re still early on in the curve. Things will get bad this week. We have not come anywhere near bolstering the testing availability or medical infrastructure to suggest we can just return to business as usual already. Suggesting that we can open up the economy and things will be fine because we’ll still practice social distancing is ridiculous. He thinks everyone will just comply with standing 6 feet from each other, and that even if that took place it would still be sufficient to stop the spread when you open everything back up?

There is a kernel of logic in the argument, that at a certain point the economic collapse will cause more pain than the virus. But we’re not close to that point yet. The economic collapse will be worse when the medical infrastructure is crumbling. If we loosen restrictions now, we’ll inevitably have to reinstate them in a week or two when things get really bad. We can’t afford half measures right now.

Is it a coincidence that this change in approach is at the same time that Dr. Fauci seems to have been removed from Trump’s press conferences and taken out of the public spotlight? We need to trust the professionals right now.

johnnyboy likes this.
  15. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

It's also irresponsible to continue to destroy our economy. He's between a rock and a hard place right now. And the Democrats and Pelosi aren't helping with their latest stunt.

IMO he's taking a gamble on the hydroxychloroquine & azithromycin treatment that appears to be working in South Korea and France. It's also noteworthy that countries near the equator that often take drugs for malaria don't have as many cases of Covid-19 as the USA, Europe, and East Asia do. If the gamble pays off, he'll be vindicated.

John3:16 likes this.
  16. johnnyboy

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    You're not very informed and it shows. First off, Im a registered republican. So you're wrong off the bat. 2nd I said he could have stopped the travel months before is a FACT he only stopped travel from wuhan in feb. Not sure why you are "LOL" at that. Trump was warned in January about closing up in order to avoid the pandemic. So you're wrong again. 3rd "USA was probably the first country to stop travel from China" Wrong again. Not only did several other countries do it first, but originally Trump only banned Travel from Wuhan, not China. Weeks later he stopped all flights. 4th Nothing I said is "reaching incredible lengths". Wrong again. Thats you attempting to shift the narrative. Prove one things I stated to be wrong. I'll wait. 5th Testing is not readily available still, thats causing tremendous issues. Hes been saying its available to anyone that wants them for a month. Thats simply not true. Your posts are based on your assumptions and position, not reality. He now wants to re open the country as the virus is about to PEAK. If he does this, THOUSANDS of people will die because of it. It will also buckle the medical system. Every expert on the planet agrees. Prove what I'm saying wrong.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  17. johnnyboy

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    With that logic, tell all the nurses and doctors to not wear masks, tell people to not social distance, not wash hands and go back to work. Preventative measures wont save lives only your body will.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  18. Lakeshow85

Lakeshow85 - Rookie -

That’s not my point. By all means do what needs to be done to stay healthy. But It’s not an argument of throwing in the towel and saying “what’s the point?” You said “people are dying because of these mistakes”, which is not true because even if everything was done perfect (which it cannot be) these people would have still gotten infected and possibly died. Viruses don’t care about preventive measures, it infects what it infects when it infects it. Blaming the people in power is weak and lazy. As if humans have that kind of power.

19. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I think maybe the bigger point is everyone shares some blame in this, but the majority of the blame has to go to a virus that no one can tell what to do. Every country but a couple (S Korea and Singapore) have handled this poorly. They handled it well because this was a real threat to them as they had to contend with SARS a few years back. Even when the US government started taking this seriously, you still see a great deal of the population at large being dips***s and finishing their Spring Break, etc. The virus was going to hit us. Maybe the entire Western World could have curbed the damage a little bit had they reacted perfectly, but no one did.

There is a silver lining. This virus (as terrible as it it) isn't near as bad as it could have been. This is not a Hollywood World Killer. It's probably at the very worse going to take out 4-5% of the population. And that's a ton of people. But there might be a virus out there lurking in the wet markets of China that is a legit threat to the survival of humanity. This ordeal is giving us a practice run for when that thing is found. Let's hope we all learn from this.

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Change “these” above to some “some of these” and it would be a lot more reasonable to read. Semantics yes but an important distinction. And probably what you meant. Because the numbers would have been less if the coming infection in the US had been better prepared for.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Lakeshow85 and Helljumper like this.