Playoffs - Round 1: Lakers Vs. Denver. Let's Freaking Go!!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 16, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

This first game was the one we were most likely to lose IMO. Again, we had put ourselves in the position of working so hard just to get here we let down some. Game two is where we will join the series. I do want to give our starters another shot but be ready to try something different if it starts going bad. Slick is right in that Ham's poor player development has us in a hole. I would still like to use Gabe and Max short stretches full court. Scramble up Denver's pinpoint offense. There are some creative things we can do without bailing on our starters.

LA Bron and Pioneer10 like this.
  2. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Big game James just said this about Jokic...

High praise there.

VladeD714 likes this.
  3. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    Game one was frustrating but it showed exactly what we have done for 9 games against this team and shown the thing that gets us over the hump. If we do it, we win. If we don't, they win. It's simple as that. What is that?

I've said from the beginning the Lakers will go the way DLO and Austin takes us. Those two have to score DLO (outside and in) and Austin (inside and out). Austin had like 9 shots by the late part of the 4th qtr with 2 of those being long "F-it" 3's. That isn't going to work. He needs to attack his man off the dribble and get either to the rack for the shot or dish it. I don't think we used him well on O at all in game 1. DLO on the other hand has to hit his shots AND if they aren't falling he needs to attack the paint.

Personally I think DLO tried to be to nonchalant in this game trying to prove he wasn't bothered by the chatter and noise. Hopefully his shots fall next game because we can't afford him nor Austin disappearing. Game 2 will be very telling.

lakerjones likes this.
  4. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Jokic is indeed all that: just great, all-around. What gets me is some of his shots are like how I toss an empty candy wrapper into the trash from 5 feet away, just absent-mindedly toss it side-armed, underhanded, little stupid hook shot etc...but his go in at a way higher percentage than mine do.

One play Joker had AD all over him in Game 1, deep in the paint and the next thing I know a "shot" went in...how was that even a "shot"? Don't matter: went in: get back down the court.

5. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

The problem with Russell is two fold and have to do with each other and others have noted this one big one - he isn't that athletic, he's not gifted with an elite first step or any quickness off the dribble. He doesn't jump very high. Etc, etc. The second part, which has to do with the first: He doesn't get to the FT line.

This places a much needed emphasis on his jumper and when that isn't going, he's going to have an off night. As Raj said on Twitter, "he has a high variance." It just is what it is w/him.

Here's another thing we have to consider: Murray had an offnight shooting the ball. When Murray has those "off-night", it's imperative you take advantage and win those games. We didn't and that hurts. My thinking is this: we'll be done 2-0 after Monday night, and this will be a short series. My Lakers fandom: Win game 2 and split @ home.

I hope my fandom is right, but I don't think it will be.

All good.

6. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

the problem with Russell is that the Nuggets are really good at defending 3s, like way, way better than us, so most of his shots are never exactly open.

I mean it was ridiculous how we can never find an open man against them, and they seem to always find one against us.

you have to give the Nuggets credit, Mike Malone is a massive a******, but a great coach.

Zoyd Wheeler and abeer3 like this.
  7. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

Us having a G League athletic trainer as a head coach definitely has us playing behind the 8 ball.

VladeD714 likes this.
  8. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

The trainer and staff suck; Ham isn't great. However, almost any other coach in the league is getting outcoached by Malone. Albeit, we might have a greater gap, Malone is a top 5 head coach in this league. Many are going to be behind the 8 ball with him.

9. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

one of the best things about lakers media over the years (mainly guys like worthy/horry/stu/billy mac and chick before them) has been their willingness to praise greatness when they see it instead of being jealous homers, as well as not being afraid to criticize the lakers

he's just so damn good and that's why i'm not really that broken up about losing to denver. aside from mike malone who just plays to the crowd with his trolling of the lakers, denver's not one of those hateable teams. and this isn't a case of some random scrub like troy hudson or cam payne suddenly turning into MJ against us. jokic is just that great. if there's anything kobe's death taught me, its to enjoy greatness while we still have it

10. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Sad thing is, we would have smoked any other team than Denver. No one to blame but us though, so many winable games lost in the first few months. Thanks "coach"...

11. LA Bron

LA Bron - Rookie -

This is 100% truth

12. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

I'm not going to lie; watching that OKC game and the Pelicans almost steal that piss me off...SAS had to win that game against Denver, didn't they?

Sigh.

abeer3 likes this.
  13. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

they were going to have to play denver either way if they want to win it all. trying to avoid an opponent is just p**** behavior

14. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Blowout loss or a close game heartbreaker? Either way, 0-2 going back to Cali...

15. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

More likely the latter unless they mail it in. Reaves and Russell HAVE TO produce and be more efficient for the team to even have a chance. At least they are both not lacking in confidence.

lakerjones likes this.
  16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Series over.

17. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i couldn't help but laugh when they went up 20 knowing they were eventually going to blow it

should've bet denver moneyline and won some cash

Zoyd Wheeler likes this.
  18. 52years

52years - Rookie -

lol Lebron missed a wide open 3 and Murray hits a fading falling away shot over a 7 footer.

19. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Never in my life seen one team own another team like this. I’d be shocked if this isn’t a sweep.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  20. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.