Pets

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by John3:16, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

I know the pain. I'm so sorry.

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Just put my first dog down about 6 weeks ago. She was 14. She's the second dog I've had to put down. There isn't really anything worse.

John3:16 likes this.
  3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Sorry Kenzo. Hang in there. We're all here for you.

4. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Damn Kenzo. Sorry to hear that.

I lost my cocker spaniel this summer after 14 years. It's rough. I lasted about 3 weeks and had to get my puppies. I just have to have dogs near me. Dog park is very therapeutic for me. Give yourself a little time and then look into finding a new dog. Won't be the same, but can be just as rewarding.

5. Savory Griddles

When i put down my dude 5 years ago, we had to buy 2 dogs to replace him.

6. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Thanks guys, it's tough. His last look at me will haunt me forever. He knew what was going to happen, he had no strenght but still tried to stay with me, didn't want to go with the vet. He wiggled his tail as much as he could, put his head down and almost said good bye. My 7 years old niece gathered all her toys and said "sell all of it and save Acton's life". It f***ing broke my heart :(

therealdeal and Savory Griddles like this.
  7. Savory Griddles

It's harder than anything I've ever done. The second dog I put down 6 weeks ago was easier cause she was 14 and lived a long full life. My first (and favorite dog ever) was only 8 when we put him down (kidney failure). We stayed with him in the room and held him as he passed away. It's been five years and I still cry once in a while. It gets easier. I've always said that it leaves a hole in your heart that never goes away. But as time passes, you get better at stepping around the hole and not falling in.

8. Kenzo

8 years, 7 months (without a day). Wayyyyy too soon :(

9. Punk-101

[​IMG]
    This past Friday, as we were heading into the garage for a nice family dinner, my beloved 3 year old sweetheart snuck past us and ran down the street as he’s done dozens of times before. As I went to retrieve his leash to go bring him back, I heard a loud plastic crash of a car hitting something very hard, followed by my baby boys scream. It wasn’t a high pitched yelp. It was a scream. The pos didn’t even slow down. Hamilton was still conscious but breathing laboringly. He wasn’t in pain or crying. He was in shock, as was I. He wasn’t bloody other than a slightly mangled ankle. I was optimistic. I scooped him into my truck and drove him to the vet. They immediately started oxygen and a sedative iv. X-rays showed a broken spine and lungs quickly filling with blood. My wife and I quickly called in our daughters to say their goodbyes as the doc administered to fatal heart stopping dose before he drowned on his own blood. Just like that he was gone. He was my baby boy. He gave endless kisses, disobeying commands to lay on his mat, instead slinking his way into my lap. It’s not fair that someone so loving had to go out like that. My heart hurts so much.

10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’m so sorry, so so sorry, this is awful. I don’t know that there’s any comfort to be given in a tragedy like this, all I can say is lot of dogs don’t get any kind of life at all, and I’m sure his 3 years with you were the best. I’m so sorry for you and your family though, losing a beloved pet like this is to me the same as losing a family member, it sure hurts the same, they’re man’s best friend for sure.

Savory Griddles, Kenzo and Punk-101 like this.
  11. Kenzo

So sorry to hear that man. Hang in there, life without a best friend sucks :(

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Savory Griddles and Punk-101 like this.
  12. Savory Griddles

This is one of my worst nightmares realized, especially since I have a dog that likes to run out real fast. She never goes far, but there is no difference between street/grass/sidewalk when she sees the light. So sorry Punk. It's so strange. In the last 12 months my parents lost 3 dogs, I lost one, I've had 4 friends in my department at work put their dogs down...its been a rough stretch here for the dogs of people I care about.

Punk-101 likes this.
  13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Maybe he gets sick a lot because you let him out in the snow barefoot Dummy.

:Laugh:

:Fishwink:

14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Been thinking about getting a dog recently, but with long hours working, would feel like he needs a companion. Making a decision to have two dogs is a big life choice since I don’t currently have a yard. Open to recommendations.

I realize I’m young, but I think I’ve given up on dating American women. Think I’ll be happier just having a buddy.

15. Savory Griddles

Honestly, I have two dogs. Two dogs is a little more work in the beginning because of the potty training, but once that's done, it's less work because they keep each other occupied a lot.

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

that's good to know. Would you go the puppy route, or rescue?

Savory Griddles likes this.
  17. Savory Griddles

I've been around both. I like puppies because you can sort of mold them a little bit better. On the flip side, I don't know if it's me projecting, but I've found rescue dogs have a much more grateful attitude, if that makes sense? They seem to love their owners even more. Sort of like the rich kid/poor kid thing where the puppy always sort of had everything, but the rescue knows what it's like to live in a cage? Once again, I could be projecting how I think they feel to how they actually feel because my dogs were puppies and their world revolves around me.

You can get puppy rescues.

https://muttslikeme.adoptapet.com/

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  18. Punk-101

F*** me, life has been unfair the past two months. We lost our English bulldog Tofu today. He’s been super healthy and happy lately, but today during a very routine walk he started having real difficulty breathing like an asthma attack. He was still getting some oxygen and was conscious but his tongue was turning blue. We got him to the vet and they immediately sedated and intubated him. Xrays revealed fluid in his lungs and all sorts of confusing s*** with his throat. We had to put him down. Bulldogs respiratory anatomy is so f****d up anyway with zero margin for any type of allergen or insect sting or whatever it was. It wasn’t a foreign body he was choking on. We just don’t know. He was a couple weeks shy of 2 years old. Miss you, you silly little pig.

19. sirronstuff

Dang, sorry to hear that

Punk-101 likes this.
  20. Kenzo

Very sorry to hear that :(
    Hang in there man.

Punk-101 likes this.