Optimism Discussion: The Laker's Sky Is Not Falling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 20, 2016.

1. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Moral victory I think. We started off well and they didn't really looked into it to start so it helped us.

lakerjones likes this.
  2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I absolutely agree.

3. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Two days off ! Last time it happened was between Nov 15th and Nov 18th ...

4. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    BI showed us something we haven't seen.

LTLakerFan, lakerjones and Kenzo like this.
  5. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

BI showed the game started slowing down for him. He should have had a triple double. Would have been the youngest in NBA history to do so. He should go for it in Charlotte on Tuesday.

LTLakerFan, lakerjones and trodgers like this.
  6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Every player should go for it every game, but very few are capable of such a feat. He hasn't shown he can put up those kind of numbers in all categories consistently, so I seriously doubt we'll see a back to back scenario. Kid has plenty of time.

7. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    good thing to note about both examples too is that both those teams build there teams from the draft with the exception of the Bogut-Ellis trade.

8. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

I just thought about the post Kobe Lakers, and realized there are a lot of players I genuinely like and want to see how they develop or finish off.

So players like JC, DAR, Julius, Nance, BI, Zubac and Uncle P, Sweet Lou and now Deng joining the party I think things are looking up, though Kobe is a hard act to follow, this is a genuine cast that will keep me watching the games and hoping for that final piece of the puzzle.

So glad cool hand Luke Walton is in the saddle here.

Battle Tested20 and sirronstuff like this.
  9. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

We finally beat the damn clippers. Great game from Mozgov and and Deng. Strong third quarter really gave our boys a boost.

Barnstable and lakerjones like this.
  10. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Vets won this game for us. Mozgov, Deng, Young and Lou all with great games.

Mozgov scored almost automatically while also locking down DJ.
    Deng was scoring and rebounding.
    Young with some very timely 3s.
    Lou closing out the game.

Young guns had pretty good showing as well.

Besides the first 4 mins of the 4th, it was a really well played game. We finally beat the Clippers but Doc can/will probably say that we haven't beat their healthy starting lineup yet.

11. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

We needed this one desperately. I needed this one! Merry X-Mas everyone!! Hope you all had a great day and evening with the Laker win!

12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

My Lakers Christmas present .... gave me finally a win with one of my glass half full declarations from when we were playing well early in the season. Book it that the Clippers wouldn't sweep us this year. Of course Biff and CP were out but I figure that makes it even with Nance and Tarik Black still not playing. :Crazyartest:

13. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Yes, we needed this one. I'll take any win we can get this season.

Let's see if we can string a couple more wins together this week.

14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

We're 5 wins away from matching last year's win total with 48 games left. That's how bad last season was. This season hasn't been great, but it's absolutely been better so far. Hell the 8th spot is so wide open this year had we not had that horrible December we'd actually be in the hunt for it still. Right now 3 teams are fighting for in Sacto (13-17), Portland (13-19), and Denver (12-18) and we're next at 12-22 right with NO at 11-21. Had we just been a .500 team or even right below it this month we'd be in that spot. Injuries really derailed the flow we had going early. I doubt we get it back, but we aren't finishing with 17 wins, no way.

15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yes, even after it seemed like all hell broke loose, we still have a pretty good shot of making the playoffs.

Barnstable likes this.
  16. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    You forgot Calderon ;) Not like Russell is a 100. Eff them, we took it to them most the game. Never was in fear of losing.

17. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

So how bad has December actually been? To put things into perspective, we haven't had a full team (with our key rotation players) since we were 8-7 and won against OKC on the 23rd November.

We all know about the injuries and playing shorthanded, but what about the actual outcome of the games? I went back and had a bit of a look at how the games played out:

1. @CHI - Win - Missing: Russell
    2. @TOR - Loss (blowout) - Missing: Russell, Young
    3. @MEM - Loss 103-100 (had a 1 pt lead with 2:30 left in the game: 98-97) - Missing: Russell, Young, Nance
    4. UTA - Loss 107-101 (3 pts behind with 3:30 left in the game: 100-97) - Missing: Russell, Young, Nance, Calderon
    5. @HOU - Loss (blowout) - Missing: Russell, Young, Black, Calderon
    6. PHX - Loss (2 pts behind with 0:20 left in the game: 115-113) - Missing: Russell, Young, Black, Calderon
    7. NYK - Loss (tied at the 8:00 mark: 87-87) - Missing: Black, Calderon
    8. @SAC - Loss (blowout) - Missing: Black, Calderon
    9. @BKN - Loss (1 pt behind with 6:20 left in the game 95-94) - Missing: Black, Calderon
    10. @PHI - Win - Missing: Black, Calderon
    11. @CLE - Loss (3 pts behind with 4:00 left in the game: 108-105) - Missing: Russell, Black, Calderon
    12. @CHA - Loss (had a 3 pt lead with 2:50 left in the game: 113-110) - Missing: Black, Calderon
    13. @MIA - Loss (had a 2 pt lead with 6:00 left in the game: 94-92) - Missing: Randle, Nance, Black, Calderon
    14. @ORL - Loss (blowout) - Missing: Randle, Nance, Black, Calderon
    15. LAC - Win - Missing: Nance, Black

We stayed on track for .500 and were 10-10 until that @CHI game where we lost our starting backcourt and lost Calderon shortly there after. Over the following 14 game period we had 4 blowouts, 3 wins and 8 games that came down to us having the lead or being 3 pts or less behind in the final half of the 4th quarter.

Obviously we aren't a good defensive team, however to begin the season we were a good offensive team. In most of the tight losses in December, we just didn't have the fire power to get us over the line because we were missing too much of our rotation - especially the back court. All these injuries also fractured the team chemistry we had in the starting/bench units with different rotations. Our current problem is our bench front court of Nance and Black are out and they really gave us the ability to get stops and hold/build a lead with our bench.

Out of the 8 winnable games in December, players have missed:

Russell - 4 winnable games
    Young - 3 winnable games
    Nance - 3 winnable games
    Randle: 1 winnable game
    Black: 6 winnable games
    Calderon: 3 winnable games (only counted when Russell was out as well and we could of actually used him)

So based off the above, realistically, we should of maybe picked up the @MEM, UTA, PHX and @MIA games if we had our full team back. That would place us at 16-18.

We also let a few games get out of our reach like the NYK, @BKN, @CHA games that I think we could of won but defence and execution were off in the 4th when it counted. As the team grows, these are the games we need to win as that would have left us at 19-15 and in that 6th/7th spot (one loss behind the Grizzlies). This is probably a best case scenario at our current development and personnel, I don't think we are playing at that level yet, maybe next year...

To make meaningful progress and really get to the next level we need one of Russell, Randle, Clarkson or Ingram to develop into an All star level player - ideally two of them. I won't go into what I think each player needs to do to get there...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  18. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Good post big homie. Whatre you optimistic for after New Years?

How about Thomas Robinson?.. guy deserves some love and getting more comfortable with increased minutes.

Barnstable and svtzr like this.
  19. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Would love if they could go 5-3 in the next 8 games. That would put them on pace to double their win total from last year.

svtzr likes this.
  20. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

At the moment (maybe slightly optimistic) I can see us going 8/16 from now to the end of January. We have 10 games at home which should help that.

February I can see a 5/10 month potentially.

March maybe 7/15 - this is an interesting month for us where we could maybe go on a run that is better or we could give up a little if we are too far behind, really depends on Luke.

April - 3/7, with a tough finish against 4 top west teams and 2 teams in SAC and NOP that may be fighting for that 8th spot.

All in all that would have us going 23/48 and would put us at 35 games for the season to finish the year. Which is 7 games below .500 and ironically, the 4 winnable games and 3 we probably should of got in December would of put us right there!

Keeping in mind, we could blow out and go more like 15/48 which would have us at 27 games for the season, and on the upside we could maybe go 28/48 which would have us at 40 games for the season. So anywhere between 27-40 games with probably the 35 mark likely for me.

Either way this is meaningful progression!

RE: T-Rob! Hopefully he can fill in for Nance a bit and provide some rebounding alongside Black and we get a good run happening with most of our team back. He doesn't have the impact Nance does, but not many players do.