Optimism Discussion: The Laker's Sky Is Not Falling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 20, 2016.

1. BadCoaching

BadCoaching - Rookie -

Defeated the 2nd seed then the defending champs.. after having to win the play-in game in OT.

I hope that isn't the pinnacle and we oust Denver.

2. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Denver top 6 is awesome but come on Christain Braun and Jeff Green is the rest of their 8 man rotation.

Lakers will be the first full strength team they'll face in the playoffs so far: No McDaniels, No Ried and then no Paul/Ayton and just generally a no depth Phoenix team.
    AD needs to stay out of foul trouble but Vando and Rui match up better with Denver than the Warriors and Ham is going put Jokic on island with DS/Reaves/DLo going at him

3. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

Denver hasn't proven anything at all to me yet. Paper tigers like Phoenix. Lakers will be up to the task.

4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Man, this roster was terrible. Half of these players wouldn’t see the court if they were still here with the new players as well. What a turnaround

5. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Pelinka will have a healthy problem on who to retain besides the obvious core this offseason. Oh and hells to the NO with Paul and Irving.

6. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

I remember thinking that two superstars at different positions PLUS really good role players was probably the ideal, but I wasn't sure.

Then the Lakers signed Karl Malone and Gary Payton to add to Shaq and Kobe, and while those names are mesmerizing, shiny objects to NBA fans, I wondered, "How could this possibly work?" It didn't. You NEED solid role players who play good defense.

I learned a lot from that and kept thinking about it, and that was the main thing that made me say, "WTF? Why???" when we signed Brick.

No to aging superstar players being added. That being said: the Old Man, while he continues to stupefy me with his tremendous play at age 38, his expiration date looms nonetheless. It's gonna be impossible to replace him, but you can hope to get close with a guy who has a good three solid years left.

Yea? So: who? (At this point I stop worrying about it and look to Game 1 of the WCF against DEN. That's all that matters for a fan like me, right now.)

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and gcclaker like this.
  7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

No. No. No … man we had ourselves a 4-peat for certain if Karl doesn’t get injured the 2nd time. We we kicking a** all year. But yes to everything else. ;) :)

8. gcclaker

Scot Williams...a name that will live on in infamy.

9. gcclaker

I would not know at the moment who could replace James in two maybe three years from now being crazy optimistic. The two I can think of is Antetokoumpo if he forces his way out of Milwaukee or Embiid as running mates with Davis. Then a point man to set the table. Russell would be it if he stays. Reaves is going nowhere if the Lakers brass had their way.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Panko like this.
  10. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

Don't have to look very far... Reaves is gonna replace LeBron!

But then, who will replace Reaves? Still don't have to look very far...Christie gonna replace Reaves!

:giggle: :clap: :rofl:

Cookie and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  11. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

AD and Embiid together?
    No thanks.
    Giannis, Luka, Tatum, or Booker are on my list a few years from now.

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    had me til Booker. He's one of those guys I'd rather beat. Luka is gaining traction in that dept as well. There's a narrative that he can't play effectively with another star or not being the center of attention. Not sure it's true, but the sure ended on a sour note, and Mavs fans I know did not blame Irving interestingly enough.

SamsonMiodek and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  13. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I understand the distaste for Booker, I really do.
    That being said, his mid range game is so similar to Kobe’s that I just can’t dislike him. Every player who learned under, or has patterned his game after the second most talented scorer to ever lace em up is welcome anytime in the PNG.

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

4 out of 5. Not a 4-peat. Horry missing all but 2 threes in the 2003 series against the Spurs is what cost the Lakers a 4-peat.

15. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

That kid Braun is a good defender .

Nobody is worried about Gordon on Lebron ? He usually gives Lebron fits and Lebron isn't fully healthy either .

I agree it's a good matchup because we can target both Jokic and Murray defensively though

16. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

I’m extremely worried about Gordon, MPJr and Braun defending Lebron. That’s 3 young, athletic legs to throw at him. Especially since he doesn’t seem to have the lift and explosiveness he had earlier in the season. Rui has to come up big in this series.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  17. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

I'm pretty pumped for this series. This is the next chapter of the NBA. Both of these centers (Jokic and AD) can play in a fast, dynamic post-Warriors NBA and they've arguably been the best players in the league for some time. They will be matched up against each other and both teams will run everything through them. We're going to see strategic, modern basketball played around the best defensive center since Bill Russell against the best passing big man ever. When's the last time we've seen an actual big man battle, let alone one of this caliber? It's going to be awesome.

18. Casual+

Casual+ - Rookie -

19. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

It’s nice to shove it back in all these laker hater faces, isn’t it.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he is, but he can't guard any of lebron, AD, or reaves.

i'd have been more worried if we hadn't just won two series where teams didn't double lebron. also, if gordon isn't helping jokic, i'm just getting AD the ball at the elbow and letting him work.

it's going to be a tough series, but gs is a better team than denver, imo. that doesn't mean we'll beat denver. it just means we've already beaten one, maybe two better teams.

yeah. again, i'm sure if we lose to denver, all the haterz will be like "see, da fakerz weren't for real!". ok. i mean, we're one of the last four standing. if we suck, your team is sad/embarrassing. and you were most certainly wrong.

ElginTheGreat, Cookie, Panko and 5 others like this.