Optimism Discussion: The Laker's Sky Is Not Falling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 20, 2016.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i still think we have a decent shot at getting the 8 seed. someone was asking me yesterday why i didn't think we could get 6 or 7, and last night was part of why. s*** happens, and we have no margin for error right now.

but we have a pretty favorable schedule overall and have been playing pretty well when AD has been on the court. as you said, we should get the 9 or 10 spot and then we should have a decent chance of winning two games against okc/dal/minny/utah and getting a playoff series against denver (where i expect we'd have a decent showing but lose in 6).

lakerjones, Panko and ElginTheGreat like this.
  2. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

That was me. I still believe in finishing the reg season in 7/8 and then getting the 7 seed. Or maybe that's just the thread title in me talking. :)

ElginTheGreat, abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  3. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Once again: in win over ORL: BENCH!

Starting 5: all in negative +/-

We only used 4 guys off the bench:
    Rui +4
    Dennis +22
    Wenyan +25
    Hillbilly Kobe +25

Cookie, ElginTheGreat, JSM and 3 others like this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

orlando's starting five will likely be the starting five of a playoff team next year, imo. they've gotten better over the course of the year. that team beat the clippers the day before, so it's not the low-level win people might think based on record/reputation.

5. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I was feeling very negative in this game. Without Reaves going ballistic we would have lost. No doubt. The rest of the guys were playing mediocre at best. OK, I am convinced AD is playing hurt. Dude is a step behind everything on both ends of the court. Got to be playing hurt. Wish he would just state the fact.

Right now, I am convinced Reaves is our best player, period. His mediocre days are solid and efficient and to see him break through and play like this, dang, I find myself thinking he should be starting.

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

AD is playing hurt. the injury he had hasn't really healed; that's been reported. he's been playing hurt since he came back, tbh. damned if you do...

i'm hoping we develop a better plan for strategically resting our two stars next year. both in terms of limiting minutes and in terms of planned rest. we should finally have a roster that won't lose every single game that one of them sits.

7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I sense sarcasm

:Crazyartest:

Cookie likes this.
  8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

From Buha's article today

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

this is why i don't get people being down on vando. his positives on defense outweigh his negatives on offense, particularly if we have the full squad.

10. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Beasley sucking for 4 out of 5 games is a big problem - the idea is Beasley gravity can negate the Vando issues somewhat. It's why the bench numbers are insane right now for the Lakers and it's not just the play of Shroeder and Reaves who both have been playing very good ball lately.

abeer3 likes this.
  11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

If we have a full squad or if the other starters aren't slumping, he's a perfect fit with the starters. If they're not, the TOs and limited offense gets loud. No one is guarding him away from the paint, his finishes are weak (makes Gabriel look like Hakeem), he's not crashing and diving enough from the 3 line after a shot goes up. The fast breaks he leads get cover your eyes scary once he's inside the 3 point line, we were warned by Jazz beat reporter about it inside the ft line, but it's worse than that.

I'm not s***ting on him. I love the motor, hustle, salary and he's our best wing defender; but he's a different player without Bron. Like the Beasley numbers, it's a very small sample but with Bron he's a +40 and a -74 without. LFR pod made the point the other day, he's a 5 offensively and a 3 defensively and that can make some lineups difficult. That's why we he's not closing as many games and we're starting to see Gabriel and Rui in more of those situations.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  12. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Agree on Vando - he needs to be in there when LeBron is back but maybe use Rui a bit more when LeBron is stil out.

13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

We did it! Broke the curse

14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

LMAO I was just coming to post this, we had lost like 9 straight to them, fun to see Booker all red and flustered and whiny and on the brink of trying to hurt someone again. He’s the final product of participation trophies and not wanting to have any kids feel bad, probably coached by this guy

[​IMG]

15. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Cry more. F****** rich from the guy with that grifter Chris Paul on his team and Devin “the mascot is distracting me refs” Booker. Pathetic

16. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

We lead the league in free throw attempts and they’re bottom 5 even with Ayton. Booker is literally the only dude they have that attacks the rim right now and he doesn’t even like to. They’re also Top 5 in fouls committed per game.

LTLakerFan and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  17. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Very good win tonight. I don't care that they were missing KD and Ayton. Oh yeah, and I hate Booker and his stupid "punch me" face. Actually, I hate their whole team.

18. Zoyd Wheeler

Zoyd Wheeler - Rookie -

Yea, the first Laker game I ever went to (I was, like, 9), the Suns beat the Lakers. d*** Van Arsdale, Charlie Scott, Paul Silas, Neal Walk, Connie Hawkins. I've hated them ever since. And the way they mugged and whined and celebrated when they beat us in the playoffs 2 years ago: I effing hate every guy on their team.

So: SWEET win! When PHO cut it to 1 after we were up 10 I prepared for the worst...but we kicked the lead back up to 12! D-Lo, AD, Vandy, Reaves were esp. good, but everyone was solid.

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  19. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

We're a jump shooting team and can't defend without fouling : blame the refs !

20. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Good depth and teamwork wins games. Great W tonight, we need more if we want to make the playoffs.