Optimism Discussion: The Laker's Sky Is Not Falling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 20, 2016.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I understand. I really chose to sign up mostly to support one of our own in Pete Zayas, but there's also great baseball writers and now Bill Oram is over there too. Content that deserves support unlike the drivel put out by FS1 and ESPN.

The piece is actually really interesting. The kid Pelister grew up a massive Kobe and Laker fan. He decided to go scout big events in Europe paid on his own dime and began networking until he impressed one of the Laker scouts with his effort and thoroughness. A good read about a hard working kid making it in a tough industry.

2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

3. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

4. therealdeal

I'm not sure about Lonzo being a C. I think he was probably a C+ or a B- based on his ability to affect the game even without being able to score or shoot effectively. His ability to move the ball and especially his elite defense was better than expected.

TIME, OmarE, lakerjones and 2 others like this.
  5. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

It's an offensive grade only so I'm not surprised at it. The kid is going to be hammered on until he starts hitting at a respectable clip. I don't really care what people grade his previous performances, they are going to leave aspects out of any ranking because of who he is and who he plays for and because he was #2. I just want him to get into the upper 30's from 3 which is the shot he takes most. He took about 6 per game at a .412 clip @ UCLA which would be fine for us. The NCAA distance difference isn't it, it's in his head. It's only about 1 foot difference from the corners and 2 ft behind the FT line. Also needs to finish around the rim and in the low post. he likes to hang around in there so he better learn to finish. He was not aggressive scoring and it's not surprising when you aren't connecting. Who wants to keep looking the fool? Lucky for him he has his defensive and passing game or he'd be on the end of the bench holding a clipboard next to Deng.

He's too big, skilled and fast (in transition) at his position to fail imo. I have no idea he'll turn his scoring game around though it may never be his calling card. Now, I just hope his body thing was a fluke but since he got squat done this summer in that regard we may be waiting another year on him to man up Byron-style.

TIME, OmarE, sirronstuff and 2 others like this.
  6. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Had Lonzo played more games he would have got a better grade. 19 year olds playing 59 games in their rookie year with knick knack injuries takes you down a grade.

7. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

It's become common, 19-20 year olds playing significant minutes, not used to the NBA = bad on bodies. 52 games actually isn't that horrid considering Julius Randle, Ben Simmons, Fultz, Embiid and there are a ton of 2nd year examples as well. Most of all these carried high expectations after injury. I'd say his scoring is hurting a lot more. At least he made 52 games. BI barely did better his second year. The 52 was a "welcome to the NBA stat kid" I am concerned about the fact that he's laid out this summer and can't build up. Don't likey that one bit.

8. therealdeal

I missed the "Offensive Grade" part. If that's the case then absolutely he's a "C" grade. He still found ways to help the team, but his lack of shooting/scoring was really detrimental at times.

I agree with all the other things too. He needs to gain consistency in his shooting mechanics and be more patient around the rim. Luckily a lot of the problems for him were strength related and that seems to be what he's attacking most this off-season. I think he'll be alright. His feel for the game is still elite and putting him next to LeBron and/or Rondo is going to mean having two of the best passers in the game on the court at all times.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Alcindor like this.
  9. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Now this is going to be fun..

10. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

It really is going to be fun. At any time during a game we will have at least one great ball handler out there. Looking forward to the combination of Lebron and Rondo's crazy vision with Lonzo's push forward passes to start transition.

11. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    One little wrinkle that I'll add because I haven't come across it yet (still reading the article) is that with Rondo the Pelicans were #1 in pace for the season. The Lakers were #1 in pace when Lonzo was playing. Both of those players on the same team and possibly on the court at the same time.. MY GOODNESS

12. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Thought about it... I really think Walton will experiment with that tandem. Ball can play off the ball just like he did with Holiday at UCLA.

13. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

14. SilkWilkes52

SilkWilkes52 - Rookie -

I was Bullish on the Lakers without any additions, they were on the come up and likely a playoff team. With LeBron and the new additions I don't understand why folks are sleeping on them. If you look at it, Magic and Rob have constructed a roster with some serious veterans to lead and help develop a mercurical core. Bi-->LeBron, Kuz-->Beasley, Hart-->Lance, Zo-->Rondo. Right now I have the team in the top 4 in the West and if chemistry develops who knows what can happen this year.

15. SilkWilkes52

SilkWilkes52 - Rookie -

yea, I'm curious about their pace this year too. LeBron is a situational runner, hoping that depth can run most teams until they're tounges are hanging and LeBron can finish them off.

16. therealdeal

I envision LeBron being a trailer offensively, but Rondo and Lonzo should be breaking necks out there in terms of pace. Given our depth, we should be able to run forever.

17. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

If you think about it this way, we essentially did this:

Randle -> Bron
    Ennis/Caruso -> Rondo
    Lopez/Bogut/Nance -> McGee/Wagner
    Corey Brewer/Clarkson - Lance Stephenson/Svi

In all facets other than maybe losing Lopez, we've upgraded everywhere. I know a lot of people like BroLo, but we've moved into the new era of fast paced basketball with him gone now. We were already a top team in pace, we're probably going to lead the league next year.

We won 35 games last year with significant injuries to Zo and BI, and them leading the team. Take the pressure off their shoulders (and bodies) with Lebron leading, a year and a summer of training and rehabbing under their belt, both will make strides next year in their game. Kuz focused on becoming a more physical player this year, to add to his already stunning rookie season, could add another dimension to his game. Hart looked like a man among children in Summer League, showing starter potential with his two way play. We'll see less KCP trying to play hero ball, but we'll still see the occasional gamble steal which is fine, he's pretty good at it. And lastly, we have enough competition from the veterans to push the young core to compete for minutes. We know Luke has a pretty short leash for anybody and now has the depth to pull someone in favor of another if he doesn't see the proper execution or just having a bad game.

18. SilkWilkes52

SilkWilkes52 - Rookie -

Yes, I can see LeBron in the trailer role getting the ball on secondary break and exploiting mismatches.

19. SilkWilkes52

SilkWilkes52 - Rookie -

Right .... Quiet as its kept KCP is probably amongst the three fastest players in the league along with Wall and Russ.

20. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I can see Lebron back into the outlet role as he did in Miami. Full court lobs all day.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.