Official Whine, Moan, Complain Thread 19/20-CLOSED "WE CHAMPS!"

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EJ1024

EJ1024 - Rookie -

Even the great MAMBA didn't do this

UP

2. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

Hmmm so are you going to be spamming like this if Ball has a good game?

sirronstuff, scnottaken and trodgers like this.
  3. EJ1024

EJ1024 - Rookie -

First of all I ain't spamming...
    I'm in the correct thread!

UP

4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

He doesn't have to cause you will.

scnottaken, LaVarBallsDad and Khmrp like this.
  5. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Oh the hate and divide is very real and trust me, as a former naysayer/doomgloomer I know exactly what it looks like. I grew tired of Mitch and Jimmy and with the 4 worst years of Lakers basketball ever under that regime, I was so ready for a change. It helps that Magic and the C Bags rivalry is what groomed me into a Lakers fan and that is why I was over the moon when he took over. Being a great businessman, I am certain Magic can turn this around for us. But with the addition of Pelinka, not only is there a Kobe connection, but I feel a former agent will know the ins and outs in how to communicate with other player’s agents and as we seen after countless years of striking out on premiere free agents, that can only help us moving forward (especially with that much maligned 2018 plan haha). The thing about these regimes is that I had a high threshold for Kupchak since he was West’s apprentice. But after years of exploiting West’s Kobe pick while the only notable deal occurred due to passive need, rather than aggressive risk taking (see Gasol acquisition only occurred because Bynum went down to injury and this was after Kobe’s trade demand), I grew tired of Mitch and the only magical thing about his wand was how he was able to continue to prolong the fanbase’s patience. Jimmy was a Buss so of course there is a built in threshold for him, but again years later, most got the sense that it was Jeannie and not Jimmy that needed to inherit the empire. Dude clearly wasn’t all there in between the ears and when you start to look at it, you can see why he decided to give the keys to his precious Bynum and DLo. Still too early to tell about DLo, but we all know Drew didn’t prioritize basketball like we hoped he would.

So seeing how one guy came under the previous regime while the other guy has been handpicked by our current one, it’s pretty obvious that we have a DLo camp vs a Zo camp and it came to be once Magic/Rob decided to hand the keys over to Zo at PG and ship Russ out. As of right now, its not only the style of play, but it’s the demeanor that is obviously at disparity here. Its well publicized that DLo was too preoccupied with extracurriculars and Magic didn't see the right mentality that a PG should have as the floor leader. But lets move past the mentality aspect and look at the skillset. Right now the sample size is way too small to compare Zo vs DLo, but we know the style of play that they both gravitate to. Zo is an oversized traditional PG while DLo is more of an undersized combo guard. Zo won’t dominate the ball (a bit of an oxymoron I guess) while DLo most certainly will. However, Luke’s offense prefers the former rather than the latter in terms of ball control at the point.

Also, lets not act like Kobe came into the league as a clear cut starter with an unbelievable post game. Lets not act like Lebron came into the league with a dependable jumpshot and scorer’s mentality. These players develop over time, so I’m not certain we can just call it already in terms of the skillset demonstrated off of one summer league game. I actually prefer that Zo took his lumps cause it makes him want to drive to become better. In fact I want his rookie season to be extremely tough cause only through failure can you really shine light on your greatness (think Kobe’s 4 airballs in the Utah sweep).

All that being said, based off Luke’s offense, we don’t need a PG that dominates the ball well into the shot clock…we need a set up guy for his scoring wing threats or his frontline pick and poppers or rollers. If it comes to fruition, then Zo should have that with Lopez and Ingram this year with George and Bron coming on the next year. Dude had a bad shooting night, but with the proper player development, he should get there and I don’t understand how people have such a short leash on the guy already. I understand that DLo was in a Lakers jersey for 2 years while Ball just barely broke a sweat in one, but lets not forget that DLo was the “leader” of 2 of the worst Lakers season in history. Meanwhile, Ball was hand picked by a Laker Lifer and an agent of a Laker Lifer (with Magic and Pelinka). As a Laker fan I expect a higher tolerance and much more patience for a regime that has brought so much pride to Lakers basketball. I think they deserve at least that from the fans.

Also, I don’t understand how so many are against the 2018 plan. First of all, if you have a chance at getting a PG13 and Bron in one offseason, you don’t poo poo that away for long term contracts offered to Hill and Pope. We are trying to offer a 1 year balloon contract and if there are no takers, so be it. I’m not wanting or expecting management to just fold and succumb to a long term deal when you got the opportunity to shake up the league in 2018. Second of all, you have Mitch and Jimmy vs Magic and Pelinka sitting across the table from these FAs. That’s a huge difference and I’m expecting most of you to realize that it is. Finally, if you’re going to open up a max salary spot to sign a max salary player, why would you wait on doing so and losing possible leverage in the process when that time came. DLo was a lost asset, but what else could be done if you wanted to move a bad contract like Moz? Lets say we waited till next summer when PG13 committed, we would have lost an asset still (see Avery Bradley with Hayward signing with the C Bags)…but not only that, other teams would know how desperate we were to shed those contracts to open up the appropriate cap space that we would have lost so much leverage in any potential trade negotiations. We probably would have had to give up much more just to rid ourselves of Moz or Deng at that time...or worse, completely miss out on PG13 cause no team would help us in a deal.

Bottomline: If the possibility is there to become exceptionally better, you do not endanger it by becoming marginally better.

sirronstuff, tada, OmarE and 5 others like this.
  6. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    It depends what the chances are.

scnottaken likes this.
  7. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

You know the hype I had was for fun right considering there was nothing to talk about

I'll stay consistent. I expect him to help the Lakers improve by 10-15 wins.

1 game does not make a career unless his leg was bitten off by a shark.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

:Noddingyes::ShaqOh2:

trodgers likes this.
  9. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

BTW: speaking of thresholds, the staff here has an extremely high one and that is due to the expectations that our members will debate with civility and mutual respect. We have noticed some aggressive posts recently and again the motto is that you should attack the post, not the poster. So lets keep it that way gang and I'm sure the posters guilty of this know who they are. If not, then in due time you will be getting a PM from one of the staff if this continues. So tread accordingly you guys haha. We would really appreciate that.

10. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

... still not over the DAR trade. They would create a great backcourt, damn it.

scnottaken, OmarE, lakerjones and 5 others like this.
  11. EJ1024

EJ1024 - Rookie -

They should've kept DAR
    Drafted the guy in Boston or fox...

UP

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  12. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

LOL. I think we'll know that within a few years or so, but I was higher on Jackson. We'll see. If he starts clanking during the regular season, we may have an issue...

EJ1024 likes this.
  13. LaVarBallsDad

And Funny enough, I love the rest of the Lakers picks. I think they all have a good chance at being rotation players.

EJ1024, Khmrp and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Not down with Kuzma. Hart has a low ceiling, but I like him.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  15. LaVarBallsDad

Thoughts on Bryant? I liked him.

16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]

How come?

17. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Good pick.

LTLakerFan and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  18. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Athleticism and shooting aren't there, in my view.

19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Hope you saw him out there tonight? Get on the Kuz train. Guy is coordinated and not an athletic slug by any means. He sure as heck ain't Anthony clank Brown.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  20. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.