Official Whine, Moan, Complain Thread 19/20-CLOSED "WE CHAMPS!"

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Savage!

2. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Our young players sure would look a ton better if we added Lebron .

In 2017 , a Kyrie led team still wouldn't make the playoffs in the Least

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    They would look better for sure, but none of them are going to drop 41 in a road game in the Finals and then hit the game winner in game 7 to save Lebron. And neither would Kyrie at the age our youngsters are at. There's where the difference comes in.

Or if you want another player that is currently an all-star that we would love to trade for that is a good model for patience is......

Second season - 26 mpg, 8.6 ppg, 4rpg, 1 apg, 47%, 38% 3pt
    Third season - 38.7 mpg, 13 ppg, 5rpg, 4apg, 40% FG, 28% 3pt

Yea that would be Jimmy Butler. Improvement happens.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

Randle positive wasn't bball IQ from what I recall...his strength of note from the draft was raw/physicality which he is providing. However the hype around Russell was he's a prototype combo guard that could be an elite shooter and passer with high bball iq, I'm not seeing of that anymore.

5. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Not really true - he was knocked for not yet having developed his PG skills, but he was touted as smart.

abeer3 likes this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm still not sure why everyone is so down on his passing/vision. he shows it nightly, imo. he just offsets it with some crazily lazy turnovers. in fact, if you can't see that he makes better passes than everyone on the team by a longshot, i question which games you're watching. i think his vision is as advertised; he just has no finishers except nick young. zero on the entire roster. what if he had a true lob target on the roll? what if he had more than one shooter on the floor at any time?

the lakers have personnel that don't match their desired playing style. in fact, i think only russell and young model what luke wants to do offensively. ingram's close, but can't shoot to save his life.

7. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Right. I'm not in a rush to make a deal, but there are some legit all star level players I'd shipped these guys out for.

8. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Still no trades; eh?

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, still waiting for that "deng for anything that isn't deng" move.

10. ElginTheGreat

Completely agree. Sometimes these guys make me want to pull my hair out. But other times I see the potential and how good this group can be when they all click. It's tough watching them fall flat and not see them giving maximum effort. But I also see a young group that doesn't know how to win and compete on a night to night basis. I also see a young coach still figuring out how to motivate guys, who to play when, etc.

The beginning of the year ended up being a bit of fool's gold for all of us IMO. We got too excited and thought this team was better than it actually is. The reality is that we are a young team and young teams often struggle in this league.

Trading now equals selling low to me and I think we'll get fleeced in most deals that are out there. Mitch isn't an idiot. If a Paul George, Anthony Davis, etc level player was available we'd have done it and not looked back.

We're probably being offered pennies on a dollar for these guys and are much much better off being patient and continuing to teach them how to win and compete.

raviator, TIME, LTLakerFan and 2 others like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

absolutely. don't mistake my willingness to move anyone with a desire to move everyone at any cost (except deng, he can probably go at almost any cost). the target is an allstar in his prime. short of that, i may not move any of the young guys. for that, i might move freaking all of them.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  12. ElginTheGreat

I've thought the same things. It's no coincidence that he had some of his best assist nights when he was able to feed Zubac who was able to catch and finish.

13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

flashy passes doesn't equate to great court vision....Jay Williams or "white chocolate" was exceptionally good at making those highlight fancy passes but I did not think he was a good Pg.

14. Daloyalfan18-Brandon

Daloyalfan18-Brandon - Rookie -

My WMC, I still haven't become attached to any of these players like I was to Kobe. I'm still holding out hope that DLO eventually pulls it together.

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

All things considered, D'Angelo isn't an exceptionally flashy passer. Often times he just makes good passes out of pick and rolls either to the big or to a cutter (Ingram baseline against New York comes to mind). D'Angelo has very good court vision. Is he Magic Johnson like his pre-draft analysis pushed? No, not really, but we all knew even then that it was an unfair comparison. All in all, he has easily the best vision on our team. Second might be Ingram or Nance Jr. which is saying a lot. Last would be Lou Williams and Jordan Clarkson who can't even see wide open weak side corner threes.

And Jason Williams was a pretty good point guard.

raviator, TIME, LTLakerFan and 3 others like this.
  16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Yeah. If Williams could shoot or defend - at all - he would've been in the league even longer, pushing for some ASGs. He still had a good career.

17. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Williams tamed it down when he was the set-up man for Hubie Brown's Memphis team that made the playoffs. He played a solid floor game throughout but they ran into a buzz-saw Mavericks team that season. abeer3 has a point when he brought up that Russell has no finishers on this team to complement his passing. Ingram and Randle aren't suited to play off the ball. Clarkson and Young are the only ones who fit in a sense. Moz is a glacier, Deng is a cadaver out there...

Cookie and Juronimo like this.
  18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

I say dlo asst comes from an actual set or play called, sort of like rondo. He doesnt actually brake down the defense pulling in defenders to him, i hardly ever see him attacking the paint in order to draw defenders into the paint and kicking it back out

19. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Look I'm as hard on Russell as anyone, but this is patently false. He routinely draws second defenders. The problem right now is that he is making lazy passes out of those reads.

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

Im talking bout attacking the paint and kicking out, not screen and role...how often do you see him braking down his defenders and getting into the paint w/o a screen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.