Official: Unsubstantiated Trade Suggestions, Speculation, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Barnstable, Sep 15, 2014.

1. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

well with Phoenix having given the big money to bledsoe and signing isiah while drafting a talented pg in tyler ennis from syracuse, my prediction is they won't pay him top dollar. So I'm hoping he'll take a cheaper contact. And as far as Jimmy goes there's also thaddeus young who has the skills to play like a Jimmy Butler. Jeff green is another choice. My hope is Lakers realize how much we need to focus on defense rather than offensive minded players for the next coming years.

2. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Lakers really need to package nash's expiring to a team that is looking to s save money I'm thinking timberwolves with chase budinger or what about josh Smith? There are several scenarios Lakers can do

3. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Got another two months until trade deadline starts approaching. Feb 20th is the actual deadline. Got a looooonggg ways to go.

4. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Would love Reggie Jackson, but I don't think he's produced long enough to command more than $8-9 million max. As many here know, I've always been a Tobias Harris fan. I think that would be awesome FOR THE RIGHT PRICE.

5. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Tobias wants to play with melo unfortunately :/

6. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Really? Haven't heard that

7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It's a slow day at work, so in light of the recent breakfast bash here's a scenario:

-Lakers trade Kelly at the deadline for a 2nd round pick.
    -Let's assume they DON"T get the Top 5 pick. (it ends up 7th DAMN!)
    -The Lakers head into the summer with Kobe, Randle, Houston's rookie, and Young as the only guaranteed contracts- 34 million. Cap space is: 28 million.
    -The Lakers decline Hill's 9 million dollars to keep space open.
    -The Lakers sign Rajon Rondo to a 4 year/ 83 million dollar deal. The deal (according to this guy) starts at 18.68 million. Cap space is: 9.52 million.

Now it's decision time. We've got Kobe, Young, Rondo, a rookie, and Randle. We can either use this 10 million for a home-run or we can start divvying up money to bring in a more well rounded team. Maybe bring back some of the studs from last season. In this scenario, I'm going to assume Hill gets a huge offer somewhere and takes it. Something that we literally cannot match. So here's how my summer ends:

-The Lakers sign Robin Lopez to a 3/18 million dollar deal. Seven footer, high motor, good defender. Cap space is: 4.02 million.

Decision time again. Lin isn't getting much this summer. Sure he's having a "career" year, but he's also having a Ramon Sessions year. Sessions is currently on a 2 million dollar deal. Lin is worth more because of his name/ability to move merchandise. I see him worth roughly 3-5 million. Ed Davis has shown flashes of really solid play, but he's a foul machine. His efficiency is impressive and he never stops working, but if he can't stay on the floor how much money can you give him? I see him right now being worth the same amount as Lin since decent bigs are harder to find. Which do you keep? I'm going with Davis since Lin will most likely want to find a situation he might be able to start in (sounds a lot like Sessions, eh?).

-The Lakers give Ed Davis a 2/8 million dollar deal. Player option on the 2nd year. Cap space is: 500,000.

In other words, we're capped out. Time to start filling the roster with minimum deals again. Bring back Sacre, Clarkson, and hopefully keep Ellington around. Give Xavier a camp invite. Look for bargain bin players again from the wing like Alonzo Gee and Francisco Garcia.

Roster-
    Rondo/Clarkson
    Bryant/Ellington/Rookie?
    Garcia/Young
    Randle/Davis
    Lopez/Sacre

Not great, but certainly better. And going into the next summer the Cap will rise to at least 77 (some projections have it at 87). We'd have only Rondo, Randle, Young, Lopez, and maybe Davis and Clarkson signed on for a total of roughly 41 million (roughly 44 million after cap holds). That leaves us 33 million dollars to seduce Durant, whose max would be near 19 million at that point, and still have 14 million left to spend on other players. Is Kobe worth 14 million at that point? Other names available would be Batum, Joe Johnson, Nene, Noah, Horford... There'd be ample opportunity to grow the team more.

Rondo
    Kobe
    Durant
    Randle
    Lopez

good start?

8. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    A lot of moving, difficult parts but I love the creativity and thinking going on in that post.

I hate to throw darts at a good post like that because frankly I dont if I could come up with someone better on the spot without really thinking this through, but I just cant see us getting Robin Lopez for 3/18. I think he's going to get some between 7-8 million range and even though we could still offer him that I just dont see him coming our way. Maybe its the lack of confidence in our FA signing ability the last couple of years that is doubting us able to get him period.

9. therealdeal

If anything I think we probably don't go after him at all. Management doesn't seem to want to give those types of contracts to guys we're not "familiar" with.

I think you're probably right about Lopez commanding a bit more BUT with Portland grabbing Kaman this last summer Lopez's production has been up and down. I'm hoping Kaman drops Robin's value a bit. If we can't get him there's a few other bodies, but none I'm excited about at that kind of price. I suppose we could give that contract to Ed Davis (preferably Hill if he wanted to give us a discount) and keep one of those guys as a place holder until we get the Center of the future we want. In fact doing that would mean being able to bring back Lin at a reasonable cost. I just think getting a bigger body at Center is important for us. We're constantly undersized down there and I love Ed but he's a foul machine.

10. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    I like your ideas but this has desperate written all over it. Im sorry. You cannot tie up almost 20 million in Rondo, you just cant. Now if you sign him at say 15 mill, trade Hill for Stephenson.. Now you got something.

Rondo
    Kobe
    Stephenson
    Randle
    Lopez/Dalembert/Koufos/etc.

11. therealdeal

Desperation? No its just realistic. Rondo for 15 million isn't happening

12. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Speaking about that, we just got done offering Carmelo the Max when we were recruiting him. The max offer will be on the table for Rondo, IMO. The only that concerns me is injuries...he's been a little brittle...

therealdeal likes this.
  13. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    I never said wed sign Rondo for 15 mill my man. I would just be simply chill with it. 20 mill for Rondo is a joke,that doesnt even guerentee you the 8th spot. With 20 mill you can get 2-3 solid starters at PG-SF-C if not 2 legit ones.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    johnnyboy likes this.
  14. therealdeal

Well that's the joke you'll almost certainly be hearing from the FO so I'd get used to it. It's going to be exactly what @RandleROFY said: this situation is the same as the Carmelo one. They're going to make that offer because he's an All-Star, a champion, and the Lakers are going to protect their brand as a player destination.

Joke or not, I'd get used to it.

15. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

I wonder if there is a way we can trade Nash's expiring contract for Lance Stephenson.

For whatever the reason, Charlotte is playing him at SG and SF, and it's been a disaster. I'd much rather have a younger and cheaper Stephenson instead of paying max money to Rondo.

16. therealdeal

I think it'd cost us Hill to get Stephenson. I'm sure they could find more return than an expiring (and we'd probably throw in Hou. 1st).

17. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

If it's Hill they want, then I'd wait until the deadline before pulling the trigger.

18. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

Feels odd because I've been arguing for Rondo in recent seasons but I absolutely don't want him. Yes he's a fierce competitor that would mesh well with Kobe in that aspect, yes he's an elite defender & passer. But he's quickly approaching 30, coming off a major injury, has a game that really forces you to put the ball in his hands all of the time because you're playing 4 on 5 if he's playing off the ball due to his shooting woes. You either force Kobe to play off the ball & trust in Rondo to make enough plays for him or you completely nullify Rondo's game by allowing Kobe to handle the ball still. I don't like the odds of either working enough to gamble the 1 big contract we have left on it. Give me a PG that can shoot & play D, Dragic should be cheaper than Rondo since he's not getting crazy minutes/putting up crazy numbers like last season. & either find an upgrade for Jordan Hill money or let Hill play out his contract. I'm pretty confident that Dragic/Kobe/Swaggy/Randle/Hill(or upgrade) can make the playoffs. I'm also pretty confident that Durant will still be ringless in 2016 & if we don't attract him, we'd attract another superstar with that roster & a playoff run.

19. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

If we use age as a factor... we better tank. No way a young superstar leaves all that money (from their "home" team) and signs with us. These days are over.

Barnstable and therealdeal like this.
  20. therealdeal

Exactly. It's not just about his age, it's about the fact he COULD leave his team. The new CBA is built to keep guys home and we're in trouble for that. The fact that Rondo will be a Free Agent and available while still being an elite player in this league is key.

Not to mention his function for us wouldn't just be as a player but as a recruiting tool for other players. Right now Kobe is our only draw. If Kobe can't convince someone to come over here this summer our rebuild might just add another couple seasons.

It doesn't have to be Rondo but we need a player this summer.

Kenzo likes this.