Official: Unsubstantiated Trade Suggestions, Speculation, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Barnstable, Sep 15, 2014.

1. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

I'd gladly do either trade. Doing both would be AMAZING. Turn Lou/Deng into two young players, 3 picks, a load of cap relief and even injured, Rudy Gay is the best player of the bunch and will be healthy next season.

Cookie likes this.
  2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Deal 1 is feasible, deal 2 is why? for the Kings. They have to give up picks and a young player to get Deng?

Take out Ben and the seconds and I think it's more reasonable if the Kings feel like they need to press to get to the playoffs to keep Boogie happy.

3. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

In my post, I was pretty much just going off the Lakers' angle. I agree with you on Sacramento not likely including Ben and two 2nd rounders. Granted I don't think they value Ben that much. He's an impending free agent and playing quite poorly (5.8ppg 1.2rpg 0.8apg 40.6fg%). So while he is a young player, his value is presumably quite low to them. If the Kings were doing such a trade to make the playoffs, a more feasible deal might be Deng + Young for Gay, McLemore + Casspi. The latter two are essentially just salary filler. The Kings upgrade their SG/SF spots considerably and with Boogie, Collison, Lawson, Afflalo, Barnes, Tolliver and Koufos, they could make a more meaningful run at the 8th spot and the right to get demolished by the Warriors in the 1st round.

4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I like both trades but they seem to be starting points for deals rather than the final results. Kings giving up two picks for an aging Deng? i think they'd ask for Nick if they need a wing to help make the playoffs.

Interesting ideas here.

5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

I like the deal too just to boot Deng but are we even sure Gay would be available next yr? Didn't it take kobe almost a season and half to recover from his achilles?

6. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Nope. We won't be sure of that. What we'd be sure of is unloading the 36.81 million owed to Deng in 2018-2019 and 2019-2020. If Gay gets on the court, I'll consider that an added bonus. Plus Gay's expiring contract would be a trade asset this summer in terms of assisting in matching salaries. It'd be easier to trade for a sizeable contract like Butler or George if you had that contract at your disposal - rather than scrapping together multiple smaller contracts.

Cookie likes this.
  7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Turns out the first deal was authored by Mouthpiece so I wonder if that's coming from Magic or Jeanie as an idea.

Either way, I love it. If we could turn Lou into a 1st and a reasonable replacement, I do it without question. Burke isn't great at all, but young enough that scenery changes could still help. Jason Smith is a good goon. I'm not sure they'd deal Smith away without taking a big back. Maybe we send Thomas Robinson instead of Huertas. I've argued with @EddieEddie and some others about whether or not Lou is worth a 1st and I really doubt that he is, but IF he was it'd be to a team like Washington.

The second move is a no-go I think, but it's a legitimate starting point. Grant Hughes may have stumbled into the only team that could take a legitimate look at Deng's 4 year deal and like it. Now, I don't think they'd include 2 2nd round picks. There's little incentive for them to do that, but they MIGHT deal Gay/McLemore for Deng. Rudy made no bones about his plans to leave and McLemore has been nothing but a disappointment. If they make this move, they get a guy they could feel they desperately need in that locker room for what amounts to nothing for them. Meanwhile we get cap relief and maybe a prospect that works out but probably not. I could see them asking for Nick as well in which case the pick becomes more of a conversation. However, if we could do these two deals we end up with:

Mozgov- 15.28
    Gay- 14.264 (Player Option he likely opts out of despite his injury)
    Clarkson- 11.563
    Black- 6.655 (non-guaranteed)
    Russell- 5.562
    McLemore- 5.375 (qualifying offer)
    Ingram- 5.519
    Burke- 4.589 (qualifying offer)
    Randle- 4.149
    Huertas- 1.568 (non-guaranteed)
    Nance Jr.- 1.471
    Zubac- 1.313

2017 Top 3 (maybe)
    2017 early 20s (from Wizards trade)
    2017 2nd (maybe)
    2017 2nd (from Kings trade)

That's 12 players totaling 77.308 million with only minor cap holds so we'd end up with roughly 25 million to spend assuming the worst. However, Gay is almost positive to opt out in order to get more money despite his Achilles tear. We can let McLemore and Burke walk if they look as bad as they have in their respective teams. Now all of a sudden we're looking at 53.08 guaranteed money and probably less than 56 million after cap holds. That leaves us 47 million to spend again before our picks become official. It'd end up being something like 35 million after the rookies come through.

alam1108, Cookie and Barnstable like this.
  8. therealdeal

Gay is almost definitely going to opt out. Sure he's coming off an Achilles, but so what? He should be able to get a deal worth more than 14 million this summer with somebody.

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I do the trade for Gah in a second, but I doubt he sees the court next year. Maybe at the end of the year. I hope we're not interested if he opts out. We need to learn from history. Even the great ones don't come back the same, but especially later in their career.

10. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Last I heard it was a "complex choice" whether or not he will opt out. According to Adrian Woj anyways right after the injury. Haven't really heard anything since. If he does opt out, then the deal is even better as the cap relief is an even better scenario.

I don't believe a torn achilles tendon isn't really a "so what" injury. Laker fans should know this as well as anyone. With Gay turning 31 in August, I think teams will certainly be weary. However, because of the new CBA and the immense upside of a healthy Gay, I do agree that he should be able to get a deal worth more than his opt-in amount for next season.

sirronstuff likes this.
  11. therealdeal

Of course it's a "so what" injury in the respect that I said it. I didn't say it as in "who cares he got injured" I said it as in "it's okay, he's going to get paid regardless".

There's already precedent when Wesley Matthews got a massive deal after his Achilles tear. I don't think Gay gets 4/70 million but he should definitely be able to get something like 3/30 million at least. And in that respect, certainly Gay is thinking "who cares about opting in for 14 million when I can get twice that?"

12. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

Lou to Wiz isn't such a bad idea, they're playing alot better lately and we have history of dealing with them although I wonder if the Clarkson deal makes them weary now lol but hey we did help them get rid of Kwamaayyyyy!!! and we gave Butler who turned pretty good for them for a while.

13. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

You think Gay will opt out of 1 year 14 million with a willingness to sign for 3 years 30 million? Yeah, it's more than twice the amount but over the course of 3 years. Free agents care about annual salary just as much as they do total salary. I think if he opts out, it's because he is gunning for a lot more than that. Otherwise, he'd just be better off opting in, taking the 1 year 14 million, playing some of next season, going into the 2018 offseason healthy and then cashing in for a lot more than the 2 years 16 million that he would have gotten paid if he settled for that figure.

14. therealdeal

Man you're getting bogged down in minutia right now. The point I was making was that he can get twice the guaranteed money easily this summer than he has right now. That alone is worth opting out. Of course he can and will get more as long as he shows some progress in his rehab. Even after his Achilles, he's maybe the 3rd most talented SF available after Durant and Hayward this summer; his only other competition being Gallinari, Otto Porter, and Andre Iguodala.

In today's CBA? He could probably get something like 3/48 million even from the right team. Even more if he shows great progress from his rehab.

15. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Replace Jason Smith with Oubre. Smith would be redundant here with Randle/Nance.

I'm not sure why a young team like Sac would want Deng though.

16. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

How about Deng+(2nd from another trade) for Ibaka+Meeks (expirings)?

I don't think Orlando fans are happy that Ibaka is taking minutes away from Gordon at the 4.

They're losing Jeff Green and Ibaka next year anyways.

17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

Its Sac....why ask? They traded an unprotected 1st, gave up a former #7 pick after 1yr, so they could free up cash to sign rondo/koufus a yr ago. Divac is as bad as Billy King

Weezy likes this.
  18. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

I'm saying players, especially those of Gay's caliber, aren't just focused on total guaranteed money. Annual salary is similarly important, if not more so because that's your actual value. I don't think Gay opts out of 1 year 14 million with any level of willingness to sign a 3 year 30 million dollar deal. You are right, he is an elite SF and that's why if he isn't certain he can't get much bigger offers than that - heck, even 3 years 48 million might be insulting in a day and age where Luol Deng is getting 4 years 72 million - it'd be a more prudent decision on his end to opt in, play some games next season and cash in next summer.

In the end, all I'm saying is I personally am not assuming he is going to opt-out this summer. Really depends on how comfortable he, and his agent, feels about the type of contract they can get while rehabbing from a fairly serious injury.

19. therealdeal

I just threw out the 3/30 number as an example of him earning twice the guaranteed money he has now. It was not what I expect him to sign for. I would place a bet on him opting out. In this market place when guys like Deng, Crabbe, and Turner are making 70 million then Rudy can make way more than 14 million. I'd be shocked and concerned if he opted in.

20. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

I decided to read some articles and get a little more insight on Gay's status for next season. Read a piece on CBS that said his surgery was successful and doctors say he will be ready for the 2017-2018 season. Read another piece saying he'd be able to participate in training camp as well. I was under the impression he was due to miss a good portion of the season. If that's the case about his timetable, then yeah he definitely should opt out.