Official: Unsubstantiated Trade Suggestions, Speculation, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Barnstable, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    No way do I see Kobe doing this. Sure, he would be a phenomenal analyst but he wants to do what Magic Johnson is doing and be a business man. That's why he created his own company, Kobe Inc. which I think he would be fully invested in when he hangs them up.

2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Jennings is playing well right now and we have expressed an interest in him per Ramona...here's what I'm thinking/proposing; stand pat at the trade deadline, finish out the season at the pace you're on right now and get your pick. We've gone too far too go back...WTS, hypothetically, you go into the offseason with the following:

Top 5 pick
    Houston 1st rounder (Late 20's)
    Lakers 2nd rounder (in the 30's courtesy of the Clippers)
    22 million in cap space (roughly)
    Healthy Randle

We have Hill's bird right. Monroe will leave Detroit for a more lucrative contract somewhere else, so Detroit is going too need another big man; we need a PG. Offer Hill/Houston 1st rounder for Jennings. Jennings would have 1 more year left on his deal for $8,344,497; if it doesn't work out, he'll leave next year, but that's better too me than locking in Rondo to a max-offer or settling on Dragic for $12-14 million (that's what I think Dragic will get this offseason); yes, I know their better players, and we'd be back to square one if Jennings leaves us high and dry during the off-season for more money and a better opportunity elsewhere. Again, though, I'd rather take that chance.

Additionally, Detroit will probably end up with a top 15 draft pick at the very least; the possibility of adding a late 1st rounder might appeal to Stan who could add another PG during the draft at some point, and he'll get a serviceable big he could use to replace Monroe. We'll still have our 2nd Rounder, 14 million in cap space to add more pieces, put a somewhat competitive roster together. Again, just throwing this out there...

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Jennings is talented, but there's some smoke around him being less than a good influence. In LA I'd be a little concerned about his mentality. He's a decent player for his price tag though. Van Gundy has him performing really well and Jennings is an unabashed Kobe enthusiast.

Definitely something to consider.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Posted over on Clublakers. This sounds totally unsubstantiated and too good to be true, but what I was joking about with the disgruntled looking picture of Joel.

Per ESPN- Lakers pushing for Embiid
    [​IMG]by LAKEROC on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:46 am

Per ESPN in Philadelphia, the Lakers are rumored to have offered the Sixers, Jeremy Lin+ Steve Nash(expiring), Jordan Hill for Jason Richardson and Joel Embiid. Apparently the Sixers are dissapointed with Embiid for having ballooned up to a rumored 300 pounds(it was later determined to be 275), and having a verbal altercation with strength and conditioning coach James Davis. Apparently(according to ESPN in Philadelphia), Embiid has not been as active with his rehab and conditioning, and they are worried about lightning striking twice with the situation that occured with Andrew Bynum a few years prior. At present, the Lakers want to move all assets that could potentially net them wins this year, in hopes of bottoming out, and guaranteeing themselves a top 5 selection in June's NBA Draft. The Lakers understand understand that Richardson is likely done after this season, and that they would still essentially have cap space. ESPN Philadelphia also noted that, the Sixers would be getting back players that could contribute to pieces(along with their top 5 pick), to be more competitive come next season. Apparently, the Sixers have been asking the Lakers about Houston's #1 pick this year(part of the Jeremy Lin trade), and would like that included as part of the package for Embiid as well, while the Lakers would like to keep that off the table at present.
    If true, how would you fee about this trade. Say we trade for Embiid at the deadline with Richardson for the pieces listed above. Obviously that's a huge gamble by the front office for Embiid, but should we consider it?
    LAKEROC

lakerjones and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  5. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Do salaries even match?
    I'd consider doing it. It's a gamble but hopefully being in LA will motivate Embiid to get in shape.
    Embiid, randle, and the top 5 pick moving forward is pretty good.

6. LaVarBallsDad

I believe this for some very strange reason...this sounds like a Mitch move; Yes, it does work in the trade machine. This is a NO BRAINER...

lakerjones and trodgers like this.
  7. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Like I said at CL, in a heartbeat. Would hate to give up our top 5 if we land it but Houston's 1st rounder..... I think oh hell yeah!! He never wanted to be there. I do remember the look on his face when he heard his name from Philadelphia. Come to L.A. and he would be a different man. This guy has skills and is a real big. An athletic big as well. Byron and Kobe would smack sense into him no problem. I don't think he'd need it.

8. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

If for real, couldn't someone else out offer us? No idea but they always seem to. God do it and do it quick, don't give anyone a heads up. Passing the pipe now....who wants it?

Barnstable likes this.
  9. LaVarBallsDad

I believe Philly is stupid enough to do it...either way, Lin would make sense because Philly is shopping MCW. Either way, Philly is going to wants picks...

10. LaVarBallsDad

I wouldn't trade my top 5 pick for it. Throw them the deal as it is and add Houston 1st and potentially even a 2nd and make it happen

Barnstable likes this.
  11. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Exactly. Do it.

IMO the risk is low because it would be the perfect trade for our situation right now. Gain young player with a ton of potential... same as Randle, and don't gain any long term big contracts.

lakerjones and trodgers like this.
  12. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    If it's a no brainer, it's probably too good to be true.

And it's Lakeroc, who didn't provide a source, who is seriously one of the biggest trolls I've ever seen on the internet.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  13. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

14. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I assumed it was real because it said per ESPN, but I just searched for some of those sentences, and nothing comes up but CL, so apparently Lakeroc made this up.

On a bright note, Lakeroc isn't on this website as far as I can tell

therealdeal and Battle Tested20 like this.
  15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear that CL is still up.

Anywho, LAKEROC was, and I suppose still is, notorious for making **** up. I wouldn't put any stock into this rumor at all. Maybe he saw it on an ESPN insider page, but it doesn't quite make sense.

Philly is trying to lose more games than us. Getting Hill and Lin won't help that goal. Embiid is a project and while his weight issues have been disproven already, even if they ARE a big deal he's a rookie coming off an injury. He's GOING to gain weight. They already shut him down for the year and they put him in maybe the worst position to put a young impressionable kid: on the worst franchise in the NBA. Seriously the only team in the NBA that is clearly trying to lose games besides maybe the Knicks. We and Wolves couldn't win games if we tried, but at least we're not fostering a culture of losing like Philadelphia is.

All that being said... I'd obviously pull the trigger. Hill/Lin/Nash/Hou. 1st for Embiid/Expiring contract? That is the definition of a no brainer. Bring Embiid to the city he wanted to go to, give him a tutor like Kareem, and make sure he and Randle come back healthy and ready to go. We still end up with a Top 5 pick and a lot of cap space... What's not to love?

Goran Dragic/Jordan Clarkson
    Kobe Bryant/ Wayne Ellington
    Stanley Johnson/Nick Young
    Julius Randle/Ryan Kelly
    Joel Embiid/Tarik Black

Looks like the best young cast in the NBA.

16. LaVarBallsDad

Yeah, I believed it; then put some more thought into it, and it didn't make any sense. I feel even more r******* for believing this drivel...oh, well.

Barnstable likes this.
  17. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah man. Cough...hack.....I told you it was good s***!! Keep it moving! [​IMG]

therealdeal likes this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

I was browsing through the GS roster and noticed that Draymond is coming up for an extension; I also noticed Lee as an expiring. With Randle essentially coming into his rookie year, and depending how FA goes, I could definitely see a scenario where we go after Lee for a 1 year rental...decent player, Randle could still come off the bench, develop, and we wouldn't be typing up any long term salary.

19. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Meh, Lee is an undersized PF. He's a terrific interior scorer/rebounder, but he's absolutely atrocious defensively. Guys just go right over him.

20. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

So, what you are saying is that he is Boozer. Lol.