Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    The only one I liked at all was the Asian guy and mostly because he reminded me a little of Wong. I agree with all your other points above. Bad story, bad acting, bad characters, bad development, bad CGI monsters, but other than those things it was ok I guess.

SamsonMiodek and Weezy like this.
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Watched both Eternals and Shang-Chi in the past week. Hated both.

-Shang-Chi fell on its face in the 3rd act. Really liked the bus fight and the fight on the side of the building with the scaffolding.

-Externals had really lazy writing. Rob Stark is a s***ty Superman. All the characters were boring. They needed a 5 minute scene showing us how strong/weak these Eternals were so you know what to expect from them in the big showdown (but please don't make this 2 1/2 hour movie any longer) . These characters who have been around since the beginning of time are just now discovering new abilities and powers because they're under duress? Come on! Seeing what's next for Kit could be interesting.

In other MCU news: the Moon Knight trailer dropped tonight. Looking forward to that one, it looks good.

TIME and Weezy like this.
  3. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    Has anyone seen the ne Dr. Strange movie yet? It seems the interest in Marvel has dropped off significantly since the last Avengers movie.

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I watched it but couldn’t really tell you much of the plot … not sure if I was too drunk or the movie was that mind bending. Maybe a bit of both lol. I think I enjoyed it though

Definitely more than Shang-Chi and Eternals, which I just recently watched last week on Disney Plus. I really didn’t get the hype about Shang-Chi. Sure there were some cool action sequences, but it followed the basic MCU formula to a tee, but had some moments of poor acting and CGI that took me out of it. Eternals was also mediocre, but I almost respected it more relative to my expectations considering all the praise for Shang-Chi and hate for Eternals. It was meandering and a bit boring, but it at least tried to be different and some of the themes of the plot were cool.

I definitely am losing interest in MCU. Feels too much of an investment to have to stay caught up on so many different shows/movies. I still need to watch What If, Hawkeye, and Moon Knight. And I just don’t see them matching the stakes of the Avengers vs Thanos saga. Plus, difficult to care about all these new characters, some being super heroes I had never heard of before. Much easier to get excited about RDJ and Chris Evans as Iron Man and Cap than a bunch of B-tier heroes.

But I know I won’t be able to help myself, I’ll definitely keep watching and will keep my fingers crossed that Phase 4 suddenly gets much better.

TIME, SamsonMiodek and JSM like this.
  5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Same. Saw Strange opening weekend. It's good. Entertaining. Saw it and probably don't need to see it again. Plot was different and had some broad strokes issues with it. It was 100% a Sam Raimi movie (much more than a MCU movie) and I'm a little surprised at how much rope they have him.

They did good hiding that Wanda was the baddie in all the trailers and marketing. She killed it in a Raimi/horror regard, but I think it undid everything her character went through in Wandavision. It was a different multiverse version of her, I get that, but still some odd choices for the character from where we saw her last. Was hoping to see a little more behind the curtain of these different multiverses and versions of other characters. It was great to finally see Krasinski in a role fans locked him into a long time ago.

I've seen everything so far other than What If. Definitely not as excited about there current projects or the new characters. It's just not the same without RDJ/Stark and there's so much flooding in now.

Oscar Isaac was fantastic in Moon Knight. One of the best acting performances we've gotten in the MCU. But the show was meh.

I am looking forward to the new Thor, though. After Taika Waititi took over, Thor became the second best character in the MCU. The sheer number of people in this one is wild and Bale as the baddie... sign me up.

TIME and Helljumper like this.
  6. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Thought the new Doctor Strange was meh. Some things were cool but it felt like it was trying to do too much... its basically nonstop from the get go.

I enjoyed Shang Chi, Eternals and Moonknight. Not so much Black Widow or Hawkeye. Spiderman was great.

I feel like theres just been too much MCU is too short a time period...
    Theres the Ms Marvel show coming out soon, right before the next Thor...

TIME likes this.
  7. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Disney is like an addict. They start off slow with Marvel with a movie every nine months or so, then they start upping the usage to 2 or 3 times a year. Now theyve added in a different drug (TV). They cant control themselves anymore. And it's going to crash.

8. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I thought the new Dr. Strange was pretty dark. Didn't care for it at all. For those that general like the Marvel Series, this one just didn't measure up for me. I would not watch it again even if you were my friend and asked me to.

9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I’m over the MCU, everything post-Endgame other than the Spider-Man movies is meh to crap. It’s just reached that point, they told the main story and now they’re struggling to find new interesting characters or to find a use for the ones still hanging on. The only movie I’m looking forward to is Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Savory Griddles and Kenzo like this.
  10. Savory Griddles

100% where I am at. I watched Spiderman and enjoyed it. But I'll be honest, I was there for Tobey. He is and always will be my Spiderman.

As for the shows, after the questionable morality in Wandavision and Falcon and the WS, I stopped watching them. Didn't feel the slightest need to see Dr. Strange 2. Same with Moonknight.

I said it somewhere earlier in this thread, You can't just make a story that never ends. You can't have the heroes save the day over and over and over again. You need an ending and a happily ever after. They took us on a journey that culminated at End Game....But wait! There's MORE! This image sums it up.

[​IMG]

TIME, Weezy and sirronstuff like this.
  11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

They finally have the rights to the the Fox gallery that would really inject some life and excitement, but they are dragging their feet on all those (Fantastic 4, X-Men, the characters from the Netflix shows, Deadpool). If Feige can unlock that problem, they'll roll off another 20 big movies. Problem is it would be nice to see those characters interact with some of the remaining post-Endgame'ers before all their stories are over and time isn't on their side.

sirronstuff and Weezy like this.
  12. Weezy

I watched 2 episodes of Moon Knight like a month ago, but I got bored and haven’t seen it since, it’s just too much content. The next show coming out, Ms Marvel, looks so laughably bad I won’t even bother. Don’t even get me started on Star Wars, Disney has already milked it dry, Boba Fett was garbage except for the Mando episodes in the middle, and I’m very scared they’re gonna mess Obi-Wan up and damage that lore like TROS already did to Palpatine and Vader. I also cringe/get a little mad every time I see that stupid galactic starcruiser in Disney World. (They’re ruining both theme parks and Chapek suuuuucks)

Yeah I’m always forgetting they even own those characters now. Like Deadpool 3 has taken way too long now and I’m still afraid they’re gonna neuter it because they’re Disney and that’s what they do. It took them forever to even add their marvel TV-MA shows from Netflix to Disney+.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  13. Weezy

Just me, or does this look awful? Like what’s the point of this? If it’s a comedy I didn’t laugh once, so… If it’s action I didn’t really see any.

14. sirronstuff

15. Savory Griddles

Not sure which one is more cringe, this or Ms. Marvel. And the CGI on her looks CW Arrowverse level on some shots.

16. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Endgame came out April of 2019, here are the releases after:

WandaVision (Jan 2021)
    Falcon and Winter Soldier (Mar 2021)
    Loki (June 2021)
    Black Widow (Jul 2021)
    What If? (Aug 2021)
    Shang Chi (Sep 2021)
    Eternals (Nov 2021)
    Hawkeye (Nov 2021)
    Spider-Man: NWH (Dec 2021)

Moon Knight (Mar 2022)
    Doctor Strange MoM (May 2022)
    -
    Ms Marvel (June 2022)
    Thor: LaT (Jul 2022)
    She Hulk (Aug 2022)
    Black Panther 2 (Nov 2022)

Antman and Wasp (Feb 2023)
    Guardians of Galaxy 3 (May 2023)
    The Marvels (Jul 2023)

TBA for Secret Invasion, Ironheart and Armor Wars...

But wow, thats a lot of content and I enjoyed what, 2 movies and 1 show... looking forward to maybe 2 movies?

Kenzo and Savory Griddles like this.
  17. Weezy

Yikes, yeah, it’s a machine now. Looking back I enjoyed Loki and Shang Chi, but I also forgot I even watched them until just now. This isn’t memorable content, where I remember watching Iron Man, Captain America Winter Soldier, Avengers, Guardians 1, and many of the others vividly and still enjoy them today. I watched everything released so far on that new list except the new Dr Strange, and half of it I wish I hadn’t.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  18. Savory Griddles

I enjoyed 1 movie (Spiderman: NWH). I thought Shang Chi was OK. (like Thor: Dark World level).

So one thing I heard was Kevin Feige used to run the MCU with a few other people. He was the boss, but Favreau, Pearlmutter and others sort of brainstormed the MCU. Then in 2019 he was basically given complete creative control and oversight. I wonder if all the smoke being blown up his a** for all those years was misdirected and the other people who helped craft the MCU had a lot more to do with it's success than we initially thought.

Also, I read some rumors/leaks about Antman 3 (because I don't care if it gets spoiled since I doubt I see it). If the rumors are true, then you will have to have watched Marvel shows to fully understand what's going on. This follows Dr. Strange 2 needing Wandavision to fully make sense. That is going to kill the MCU if you have to be fully invested in all their shows to understand what is going on in the movies.

And these shows are pretty bad. They are cheapening the MCU while bringing nothing to it. There's so much "talking in rooms" like the CW Arrowverse. These shows aren't showing our heroes BE heroes.

And as always, the Critical Drinker has something to say about She-Hulk.

Weezy likes this.
  19. sirronstuff

haven't even heard about most on that list, but maybe that's because movie theaters haven't been open much this year where I'm at.

20. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    I haven't seen any of the TV shows yet, but am planning to give them a shot as soon as Disney+ is available in Poland (less than a month from now). My expectations are not super high after having read all the comments here, but I hope at least some of them are OK. I loved The Punisher and really liked Daredevil, if they can reach this level I'm ok.

As regards the movies, my opinion is not as harsh as the most here. IMO, while Eternals was a steaming pile of horses**t (literally can't even describe how much I hated it), but the last Dr. Strange was fine, certainly not worse than some of the movies from the first MCU phase, and I really enjoyed Shang Chi. The last Spider-Man was absolutely fantastic, it's certainly among my favorite movies in the entire series so far. I also have high expectations for Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and the next Thor.

I agree the lack of charismatic leaders on the current squad is a huge problem though...