Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

My best friend is going through a battle with colon cancer. I honestly don't know how he is even able to function at times. For Chadwick to do multiple movies, some of them physically intense, I'm in awe.

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

The Marvel future continues to look bright to me

3. Savory Griddles

We'll see. I don't have a lot of faith in it. In the buildup to Infinity War, you always had Cap and Stark. Everything always came back to them. YOu could get away with these wierd side movies like Ant Man because you knew those two guys were still the heart of the Avengers. Evans and Downey Jr. oozed charisma and felt like natural leaders. They're gone now. Who is left that you can say, "I will follow this person into battle against an intergalactic threat."? They made Thor a comedic character so he's sort of Star Lord II now. Spiderman is a kid. Dr. Strange is a jerk with none of Iron Man's redeeming qualities. Black Panther is...well...:(. Captain Marvel is a plank of wood.

What made the entire MCU work to me was Tony and Cap being the center of it. It's sort of like the MCU was the Lakers with Lebron and AD both being likable and good leaders. Now the MCU is the Clippers. Who has the charisma to step in and be that leader? Marvel thus far has always been the story of Cap and Stark and the ancillary characters surrounding them. What is it now?

4. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    Looked great to me. I agree with @Savory Griddles it will be tough if not impossible to replace Tony and Cap, but we haven't seen all the new caracters yet, I really like what they have done so far and trust in them to provide a good product. Literally can't wait for the Black widow and Sipidey 3, Loki looks very promising too.

Are some of the new shows already available in the US? Disney+ will be significantly delayed in Poland which sucks mightily.

5. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

U can get D+ here, just have to use VPN. Official start should be around feb/march so not that far away ;(

6. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    I was considering it, but I am not sure how reliable that is. For example, apparently it's not working for league pass any more :(

7. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    WandaVision feels like a Marvel version of Black Mirror. I have no idea what's going on, but I like it.

TIME, Weezy and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  8. Weezy

Episode 4 was wow. This show feels like a risk from Marvel, and I’m glad they took it, it’s weird, but it’s fun, and now it’s super interesting.

9. Savory Griddles

I'm starting to wonder if Wanda may end up as a big bad.

TIME and Helljumper like this.
  10. Helljumper

Student
    Yeah Episode 4 definitely got me hooked.

Yeah seems to me that Wanda has snapped out of grief and used her powers to construct this alternate reality to live with Vision, but doesn't even really fully realize it herself. Elizabeth Olsen's tonal shift from sitcom housewife to suddenly going full Scarlett Witch on Rambeau was really cool to watch. Definitely got villain vibes there, although I don't see Disney having the balls to actually go that route. My guess is she ends up breaking the illusion and its some optimistic message about moving past grief. If I'm wrong and this ends up being the origin story of Wanda as one of the big bads of the next MCU phase, that would really raise my level of interest in the next phase. I have no clue what happens in any of the comics at this point btw.

This episode made me realize that I kinda wish we had more than 9 episodes of this. Because at this point with only 5 episodes left, I imagine they continue to ramp up and accelerate the plot away from the sitcom stuff. But I honestly was enjoying that in itself. I wouldn't have minded if they dragged out getting us to this point with a few more episodic vintage sitcoms that slowly trickled in some of these developments.

TIME likes this.
  11. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I think we'll lose Peters' Quicksilver as Wanda's sitcom progresses into the 90s or maybe this is just a one time thing

12. Weezy

Episode 8 WandaVision

God damn that was some of the best content Marvel has ever put out. And that episode got daaark, like from the start we have witches being drained to corpses, then we have to sit and travel through Wanda’s life of tragedy, watch her watch while they pull Vision’s corpse apart strand by strand. I mean the level of backstory, overall storytelling, the acting all around, that was fantastic, I can’t wait for the last episode and then what’s to come next in Dr Strange 2

TIME likes this.
  13. Helljumper

Student
    It’s been a few days to digest the Wandavision finale ... and I can’t help but to be left with an overall feeling of “meh”.

Overall an enjoyable use of my time, and it was a fun ride. But as is often the case in shows that start with such a mysterious premise, the end result doesn’t meet the expectations that come from all the initial intrigue.

14. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I totally get the meh response, but for me I really enjoyed it as a change of pace from Avengers End Game. There was no giant villian in the shadows like Mephisto. But it was a show about how super powered people are real people with real issues. Wanda's issue was her grief and that was the real opponent. Kind of cool.

But, at the same time, because I like action, I'm sure I'm going to enjoy The Falcon and Winter Soldier even more.

Helljumper likes this.
  15. Helljumper

Student
    Right, I liked the change of pace of it too. I think I actually would have wanted MORE of the slower paced personal stuff. They could have stretched out the sitcom parody stuff more as far as I'm concerned, that was all really fun.

My issue with the ending was that it felt it did try to go too big. They kinda did treat Agatha as the super villain, with generic CGI fight scene as the climax.

It felt like a way to deflect the audience from realizing how heinous Wanda's own actions were. They touch on that a bit, but I thought it deserved a bigger focus. You have Rambeau come in and console Wanda about how the people from Westfield despise her, "they'll never know what you had to sacrifice"... Umm, she mentally tortured these people for months (?) so that she could have a happy pretend life with her dead husband. Of course we sympathize with her because we know her relationship with Vision, but the whole thing was still incredibly selfish. Think it would have been interesting if they leaned into that more.

I'm overstating my issues though, overall I did like it. I really loved all the meta/philosophical stuff with Vision. His last lines as the hex collapses around them stand out to me. "I have been a voice with no body. A body, but not a human. And now, a memory made real. Who knows what I might be next?"

I think the show inherently has some Black Mirror vibes in the sense that it makes the audience ponder their own consciousness and place in the universe. So to end on that optimistic note from Vision was really powerful to me ... although it would be much more powerful if they never feel the need to answer that question. I don't want to see us go back to the Hex in a future movie and somehow save this version of Vision. Just let it be an open mystery, and meanwhile we can have White Vision gradually become more "human" as he lives through the memories he was given.

TIME likes this.
  16. Savory Griddles

Not a fan of the show. I wanted to like it, but it didn't land with me. I think part of the problem is this show wasn't supposed to be where it was in terms of the Marvel timeline. This (if you don't count the Spiderman movie RIGHT after Endgame) is sort of the first Marvel product since the big finale. It's possible it got saddled with higher expectations from me because of that. But I just couldn't get over the ending.
    She has been holding a few hundred to maybe a thousand people hostage as they are in a torture chamber of their own minds. Then it's over and everyone is like, "Silly Wanda. Try not to do that again. Have a nice day. Bye bye." Monica makes it even worse by basically saying I would have tortured a bunch of people and imprison them as well if I could bring back my mom. Like, really? These are our "heroes" now? I understand Wanda initially did it by accident, but she knew she could control people as early as the first episode.

I also think the X-men Quicksilver bait and switch was done in really bad faith. As it turns out they could have gotten literally anyone to play the brother, but they chose him to make people think something big was going to happen, but it turned out to be a dud. It was almost false advertising.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  17. Savory Griddles

Falcon and Winter Soldier

The opening sequence was awesome. Felt like I was watching a Hollywood blockbuster, not a TV show. Then the entire show falls apart. The show (and the post Endgame MCU for that matter) seems to be being built on a cracked foundation. They talk about Sam's sister having a 5 year gap in credit history because of the blip...how has this not been rectified in this universe? How have the credit agencies not adapted to what happened there? The government steps in and gives people money for COVID relief. They aren't going to step in and do something in a situation like this? And Falcon is poor and has no money? THE FALCON?!?! C'mon. As if the government is going to allow an Avenger who helped save the world be poor. Why are they going to a local bank to try and get a loan? I mean, he could probably go to Pepper Potts and get the money for free. I think the blip was a massive error on the MCUs part. Not that the snap shouldn't have happened, but that they made it last so long. 5 years is an eternity in this type of scenario. Marvel is not dealing with this very well. They just completely glossed over it in Spiderman Far From Home. They very briefly dealt with it in Wanda. But they made this massive event happen (4 billion people disappear and reappear after 5 years) and they don't address it. This is bad writing. Don't create a situation that would have massive, crazy ramifications....and then pretend it was a minor inconvenience.

TIME likes this.
  18. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I'm convinced it is a requirement to include some Woke elements in every new show now. Sam being denied & poor provides that. But I agree it's bad writing.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  19. Savory Griddles

Marvel has avoided being too "woke" in the past, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they were just trying to give a quick anecdote (albeit a very poor one) of them trying to show the effects of the blip. But I suspect you're right and it will be a woke storyline.

TIME likes this.
  20. Savory Griddles

OK. Benefit of the doubt gone. Episode 2 went woke.

TIME likes this.