Official Dc Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JSM, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Still remain incredibly unsure of what to make of this. The Joker isn’t supposed to have a true origin story, it’s part of why he’s great. This looks like a really good film, but I still don’t know that it fits Joker.

2. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Hmm...though with Joaquin and DeNiro... Scorsese was even supposed to direct but backed out due to obligations (The Irishman) and Bradley Cooper is a producer on it...nothing's guaranteed in movies but that's not a lot of room for error. Got a good feeling about Joaquin, he's perfect for this.

3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

And what do they do with it? Is it going to roll into Matt Reeves The Batman and they will sort of say the hell with the DCEU?

4. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    DCEU just plainly sucks, everyone there should quit except Aquaman and WW.

5. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Im hearing that Joker is great and Joaquin is simply fantastic. We'll see...

6. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    Why is Doom Patrol so good and Titans is slow, and when is Superboy coming?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  7. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    I watched the Joker today and it was amazing. Phoenix was just phenomenal, haven't enjoyed a villain this much since Day-Lewis in Gangs of New York.

8. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Saw it twice this weekend, marvelous (no pun intended).
    Phoenix rivals Ledger as the best male character i have ever seen (with Forrest and Hannibal Lecter).
    Must watch for any adult person.

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  9. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    1st look of Superboy on Titans was good, they hooked me in for the season now. I always loved Clone Superboy storyline in the 90s

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  10. Weezy

I watched Shazam this week, thought it was fine, a few laughs, was kind of bored a lot of the time though. Don’t really get all the great reviews, and I really tried not to take that into account watching it. Maybe it’s just because whenever a DC movie isn’t total garbage critics and fans are glowing? I could see what was coming a mile away the entire movie, very formulaic. *shrugs*

TIME likes this.
  11. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Joker was amazing.

After I came home, my brother asked me how it was. I hesitated and said “...good?” He responded, “Oh so it was just good then”.

I didn’t hesitate because it was “just good”. I hesitated because I didn’t know what words to describe it with. Usually if someone asks you that question about a movie you like, good is a natural response and it conveys that the movie entertained/amused you and made you feel good.

Joker was not that. I was shell shocked for hours after watching it. It made me feel depressed. It was unrelentingly dark.

But that’s what made it so special. It was not a comic book movie. It subverted a lot of the expectations I had and just told a fascinating and impactful story.

I feel like you could change just a few minor things and this movie could have existed without any ties to Joker and the DC Universe. Just a standalone movie about mental illness. And it still would have been good.

But with that said, and I think I’m in the minority based on what I’ve read, the few “fan-service” tie ins to Batman (as I’ve heard it describes by critics) were what really made this so exciting. I actually hope this is NOT a standalone movie. I would love to see a sequel where Joaquin shows us Arthur’s development into a criminal mastermind. We’ve seen the birth of “Joker”, but he’s still a mentally ill loner. It would be interesting to see how he grows and gains confidence from how his message has resonated with Gotham, and eventually uses that into manipulating them and become a real supervillain. And then from there, I’d love to actually see him take on Robert Pattison’s Batman. The possible relation there is fascinating, but most importantly I would just love to see a Batman movie with a similar tone of darkness and realism. Where we delve into the mental issues that must be affecting a billionaire vigilante who dresses up as a bat.

Anyways, back to this movie, I really don’t understand the criticisms. Some have said it glamorizes violence. Others have said it puts a stigma on the mentally ill. I don’t see it as either. Because the movie walks such a fine line. It doesn’t make him out to be a likeable anti-hero who you cheer for. I feared and detested Arthur. I was actually repulsed by him. And yet I was ashamed at myself for feeling that way since it layers in so many things that make you sympathize with him and see that he’s a mentally ill person who has been broken by the system.

alam1108 and Savory Griddles like this.
  12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    A new lead character has emerged for the Spiderverse. Spiderwoman!

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  13. Savory Griddles

I saw WW84. I have no idea what they were thinking with this movie.

First off, it not only took place in the 80's, but the way it was directed and handled felt like it was filmed in the 80's as well. That would have been fine if there wasn't a Wonder Woman 1, and the rest of the DCEU didn't exist, but the tone was so far off. The first 10 minutes literally felt like she was going to wake up from some sort of dream because it felt so out of place tonally and stylistically from everything in the DCEU. Because this was in 1984, there are powers that she learns and displays in this that she didn't use in Justice League or BvS which chronologically took place after. She can basically straight up fly now and her lasso can now wrap around lightning bolts that she can swing on? Cheetah is a terrible villain. There is literally no reason to have her in this movie whatsoever. Patty Jenkins also has this annoying shot she likes to do where she does a framing shot of Wonder Woman in an overexaggerated action pose where everything is in super slow motion. She used that same cheesy technique at the end of WW 1 a few times. It feels straight out of the CWverse.

But worst of all, they kind of make WW a total piece of s*** in this movie. Trevor comes back due to a wish WW made on the magic rock. But he comes back in someone else's body. Everybody (including Chris Pine when he looks in the mirror) sees him as the other guy. It's just Trevor's soul or something possessing this guy. WW spends most the movie blissfully romping around with Trevor, and if it weren't for the negative effects the wish was having on her, she would never have undone her wish. This essentially means she was willing to kill the other guy who's body Trevor was inside in order to have Trevor around. It was such a needless story element. They could have just had it actually be Trevor (it's a magic macguffin after all), but they instead decided to insert this weird possession angle that makes WW a person who is willing to blot someone out of existence if it means brining her boy-toy back. The DCEU is in such shambles I doubt anyone even reads this review. :rofl:

14. Weezy

I read it. I’m not seeing the movie either, I don’t have HBO Max for one, and second it looks awful just as your review states. I just watched Chris Stuckmann’s review and he said pretty much the exact same stuff as you, baffling choices made. An old online friend of mine from gaming forums reviews movies for a paper in Canada and he gave it 1 1/2 stars out of 5, the film seems like a massive disappointment. I don’t get how the DCEU can be this inconsistent, it’s such massive ups and downs. Probably doesn’t help my thinking that I randomly watched Avengers Endgame today either, that movie is so damn good and such a fantastic conclusion to a decade of films.

TIME likes this.
  15. Savory Griddles

The Snyder Cut is actually really good. I'm not going to get hyperbolic and call it a masterpiece, but it was a legitimately good movie. The four hours fly by and almost all the problems with the Whedon JL are fixed, if not outright eliminated.

I cannot believe WB released this. It makes them look TERRIBLE. They had a far superior film on their hands that could have been split in two (thereby double dipping), yet they instead chose to do the Whedon cut. It also makes them seem like cold, heartless bastards. It was always speculated that they pushed Zack out using his daughter's suicide. Seeing this version and then seeing how radically different it is from Whedon's version pretty much confirms that they did indeed want Zack out and his daughter's suicide was the "break" they needed to get rid of him.

TIME likes this.
  16. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Good to hear. the reviews are all over the spectrum. I wasn't sure whether to bother watching it. I'll do it on your recommendation. I'm not really a Snyder fan, but I loved the JL comic growing up, and hated the Whedon version.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  17. Weezy

This looks pretty damn good.

BadCoaching and Savory Griddles like this.
  18. Savory Griddles

I like everything but his outfit. I still think it's the ugliest Batman costume to ever grace the screen, worse that Nipple Batman.

BadCoaching likes this.
  19. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

I'm not feeling Robert Pattison as emo Batman

20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I was 100% against the casting. I really wanted to see what Ben could do with complete control. Then when he stepped out entirely, I was hoping they'd go with Hamm. Instead they hit the reset button for the 10th time. It's a shame, the movie looks good, and the rest of the casting seems pretty strong. There's a lot of Fincher vibes, specifically Se7en vibes, but Patt is not my Bat.

Savory Griddles likes this.