Official Dc Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JSM, Mar 13, 2015.

1. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    How was the Flash?

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Pretty good. He had some really funny quirky moments, but other jokes were a little too Whedon-y.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I always track the overall score, but your premise for justifying the movie is flawed. If Justice League is worse than Thor: the Dark World (commonly used as the worst Marvel movie to date), that's an epic and profound failure.

This was DC's answer to The Avengers. The studio had this booked as a billion dollar movie before it went into production. If this movie isn't epic, I'm out of this franchise. I don't want to spend my money encouraging the studio to make less than stellar products. I don't need them to be light and fun like Marvel, but I need them to have quality. I don't need another Marvel Universe, there already is one, but I need a universe that's not teetering between an awful movie and an okay movie; especially when this was supposed to be the most epic movie for DC fans.

Use Flashpoint and rewrite this nonsense. Keep the aspects you want, get rid of the crappy ones (Cyborg, Affleck, SNYDER) and reboot. Pretend this never happened. X-Men did it fairly effectively before the sub-par rush that was Apocalypse. Get out of the Snyderverse and make DC movies that fans can enjoy. There's great stories to be had without tying down the franchise to some stupid grounded mess. Marvel heroes are grounded. DC heroes aren't and that's what makes them unique and fun. Work harder on better movies and I'll come back to watch. Wonder Woman was a good start. Hell Man of Steel wasn't bad. Do better than 50%.

TIME likes this.
  4. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Haven't seen it and probably wont, still haven't seen WW or BvS either. I plan on it and will when I can find time, but I am a busy guy. I just wonder when these companies will finally take a page from Disney and find creator that LOVE the subject matter, hire them, and then get out of the way. Same with Fox and Sony, and the various other companies that ruin other comic, video game, and anime etc franchises.

5. therealdeal

So the movie looks like it'll finish with a slight uptick in expectations to around the 96 million dollar mark. It had been tracking at something like 94 million, but got a Sunday lift.

It's going to have stiff competition against Coco which is absolutely crushing Mexican Box Office records.

6. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Saw it today. Good news = it was better than Batman vs Superman. Bad news = not much better.

therealdeal likes this.
  7. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

8. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I enjoyed it. It wasn't great but it was good. Much better than SS or BvS, not as good as WW.

This movie wasn't going to fix all the problems with the DCEU but it's a start, I can actually see this being the stepping stone for the rest of the movies if they wish to go from here. There are some story flaws but that's to be expected with them cutting 45 mins out if I read correctly. I will agree with the comic-fan reviewers I follow, it's a good movie if you are a DC fan.

Wonder Woman is still solid. Batman finally feels like Batman. This current version of Superman is still great. Flash felt more like Wally West than Barry Allen. Cyborg was an odd inclusion but he's a big part of the conflict. Aquaman is a total badass but Mera fit about as well as that Thor flashback in Age of Ultron. Steppenwolf was as good a villain as this movie needed, you still felt the stakes of the situation but the spotlight is on the heroes.

Some of y'all need to just go watch it and not rely on RT as the end all be all. I enjoyed this way more than I did Thor Ragnorak.

sirronstuff and Savory Griddles like this.
  9. therealdeal

It's a fair criticism, but the reality is I was never going to waste my money on this movie. After Batman vs. Superman, I knew I'd never spend money on a WB/Snyder adventure. The trailers did nothing to fix that and the reviews were just a nail in the coffin.

I might watch this one day on a plane or something, but I'm definitely not seeing it in theaters.

10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I don't know that I enjoyed it way more than Thor 3, but both films were equally flawed in my opinion. They weren't the same flaws, but the fact that Thor got the score it did on Rotten Tomatoes and Justice League got the one it did shows people went in with their minds made up about both movies. It also shows that tons of one liners and sophomoric humor can usually get you a decent score.

11. alam1108

Thor 3 lost me with the constant bombardment of jokes and humor. Heck the very first scene/joke with Thor spinning while chained up was one line too long already. Took away from the stakes of Hela and Ragnorak.

But yes, I agree with the issue about the scores. Preconceived notions and all that jazz.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I enjoyed it. I rate movies on if I’d pay to go see it again in the theater st their prices.

The answer is yes.

13. therealdeal

I didn't think Thor was sophomoric. I thought it was whimsical at times, but not stupid.

I do believe people had their minds made up a bit, but remember Thor was the least well-received of Marvel's main characters. Thor 2 was their worst received franchise movie since everyone forgot about Incredible Hulk. They went a different direction and got a good buzz from it. Meanwhile BvS was met with wide scrutiny and WB rushed JL out so Snyder was stuck directing that one as well. They tried to change the tone, but the plot is still muddy because it's a Snyder movie and he is not a good storyteller. If they'd changed directions and gone with a different director, they'd have likely had more success but WB wanted JL out asap to compete with Marvel/Disney and he wanted it out before Avengers 3 came out.

14. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Cartoons... DCs best genre

15. alam1108

Weezy likes this.
  16. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Lol, I love Star Wars, but they are clearly fumbling and lacking direction. DC is on another level though. I actually liked Leto’s Joker, but they should have simply made his role in Suicide Squad larger. That movie did a decent amount of money though, and the Joker does sell, so this could do ok. What I don’t get is hearing about Joaquin Phoenix possibly being the Joker in that origin movie or whatever it is, and then this announcement. So we’re going to get 2 Jokers at the same time from the same studio? Ok... They don’t just have this movie that sounds weak or poorly conceived though, they have like 3 or 4 movies like that, all up in the air and iffy. I kinda feel like they need an entire reboot.

17. alam1108

Wait is that other Joker movie for real? That would be so hypocritical of DC/WB. They pretty much shoved CW's Arrow off a cliff by forcing them to can their plans for their Suicide Squad cause they were making a movie, didn't want people to be confused by two rosters. Arrow had to quickly ditch what took them half a season+ to set up and arguably hasn't recovered from that move.

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don’t know what the hell is going on, that was my point, DC is so unclear in their plans. Last I heard they were doing that Joker origin movie, or stand-alone movie, Phoenix was asked about it in interviews and didn’t say much other than it’s a great character, but that it was only rumors involving him. Now we hear about this one. Seems to me like they’re making 2 Joker movies unless one is cancelled or this report is false. The Joker is my favorite villain of all time, I’m all for more Joker, but this isn’t the way I’d go about it.

19. alam1108

Well that looks fun.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and raviator like this.
  20. alam1108

Also looks fun. Though CGI looks a little weird.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and raviator like this.