Official Dc Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JSM, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I only saw WW for the first time yesterday. Liked it a lot, it was the best DC movie so far for me. Basically I agree with your review of it. Regarding your super spoiler

I'm not familiar with the comics at all, so the whole discussion on the next page was very interesting to me. I hadn't questioned the Batman V Superman fight of WW and Superman vs Doomsday because I didn't know WW's backstory.

What I do want to know is are the Amazons human? I believe Ares said to WW that her father was Zeus and her mother was an Amazon. The Amazons appeared human, they died from bullets, they didn't heal quickly or have special powers, only Diana did. They were great warriors, but didn't appear different from humans aside from that. So if they are human, then WW is a demi-god, and to me that helps explain why she is very powerful, but not full on god powerful. At least that's how I saw it not having a comic book knowledge background. Her powers still weren't clearly defined enough overall, but that helped for me. Maybe they messed up a little making BvS before WW not realizing questions it would raise. real's questions about WW2 certainly occurred to me too.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Hard to say about the Amazonians. I would say they are special humans with slightly elevated power since they were created by Zeus specifically to bring the world of men back in check.

The story of Diana being sculpted from clay IS the original origin story of WW. They made it myth. She is now an actual god (or I guess demi-god depending on what we find out the Amazonians are). I saw in an interview that Patty Jenkins actually created the movie she wanted and as long as there weren't GLARING inconsistencies, she wasn't afraid of making things a little murky in the DCEU. I am OK with that in theory, but the crazy Dragonball Z Super Saiyans stuff at the end was too much. To make her that in one moment, then 100 years later she just kicks and punches...For me it's about establishing powers so we can establish threats. With WW at that level and Superman at his, and we still don't know how crazy Flash is going to be, what hope does a villain really have when it comes to a large scale invasion of Earth?

Weezy likes this.
  3. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

The bolded:
    Lack of a moral compass.

Weezy likes this.
  4. Savory Griddles

I'm not talking about the why, I'm talking about the ability to succeed. It'd be a suicide mission for them.

5. alam1108

Not if it's a super powered villain. Every comic book character has a weakness and their villain always finds a way to exploit it. It doesn't always makes sense but that's comics for you.

I forgot which series it was but Batman found out every Justice League member's weakness just in case they needed to be stopped.

6. Savory Griddles

Not even sure that was a series. It's just sort of understood Batman would do something like that. :D

alam1108 likes this.
  7. alam1108

8. Savory Griddles

9. Weezy

Hey it's their fault for picking a Batman so old and putting out Justice League movies before Batman ones, especially if they have planned a trilogy. The part about Affleck's body not being a temple though, dude wears a giant rubber suit, he can be fat under there and no one would know or care, not like those are his real muscles.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I hated the initial casting, but I actually liked him in the role. The movie's awfulness had little to do with Affleck.

alam1108, Weezy and Savory Griddles like this.
  11. Savory Griddles

How would you guys handle it? Would you recast and pretend nothing happened (in the movie universe), or would you try to create an elaborate story device to explain why Bruce Wayne now looks different? I.E. Flashpoint or Crisis? Honestly, I'd probably just do a recast. After 15 minutes I think we'd be OK with it.

12. Weezy

Recast. They recast with Kilmer in Batman Forever, and even though I was a kid I don't remember a ton of complaints. You have to recast well though, or you end up with Clooney and Batman & Robin, a movie so bad it was the first one ever to put me to sleep outside of being a little child. It was the day I learned that a big name movie could actually be garbage, it was eye opening. But main point, recast, and recast quick, don't need to explain it, just do it. If Affleck is good with staying on into his 50's though, I'm better with that choice. We've already established this is an older, weathered, wiser Batman. I too hated the casting when it was announced, but I thought he was a great Batman.

therealdeal and Savory Griddles like this.
  13. therealdeal

Trash everything in the pipeline right now and use this JL to reboot everything in a new universe with Wonder Woman as your lead. Whoever wants out, let them.

alam1108 and Weezy like this.
  14. Weezy

That's a tough one, though I like the idea. I think it might be too late to do that with this upcoming JL movie, but they could do it in a follow-up.

15. alam1108

Well luckily DC has Flash to time travel and make new timelines. As good as WW is, a whole reboot might be needed if there's better people at the head of decision making and story writing.

Personally Man of Steel and WW should have been the first two movies, then a Batman and then Justice League as phase 1. But now we're stuck with BvS and Suicide Squad.

Weezy likes this.
  16. Weezy

Right, they tried to do The Avengers before they had established all the characters and before we cared. I believe before Marvel did The Avengers we already had the Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor. DC would have been wise to do the same, and I also believe this is not the first time the Flash has been brought up with the ability to already reboot the universe, it's been rumored. Reboot the universe with a brighter tone, like we already saw in WW.

17. alam1108

I think DC tried to be not-Marvel for the sake of not copying them. If it ain't broke don't fix it. In JL I would have introduced the rest of the team, Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern, and give them movies for phase 2. And so on and so forth.

therealdeal and Weezy like this.
  18. therealdeal

I forgot to elaborate on my plan:

1. In this current JL movie, have the world end. The JL couldn't stop Steppenwolf/Darkseid so Flash is forced to use Flashpoint and he escapes into an alternate reality.
    2. This reality is the universe that Wonder Woman is set in. That saves Wonder Woman which can remain canon.
    3. Recast Batman younger.
    4. Any Suicide Squad movies don't exist in the new universe. Any secondary characters don't exist. This universe only houses Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter.
    5. Superman shows up AFTER all of them are established. They're HIS heroes as he ages and when he's ready he steps into the spotlight as their beacon of young, hopeful, truth and justice. (yes that means recast).

This saves Gal Gadot who is the only thing working for you while destroying Snyder-verse once and for all.

19. Weezy

It looks better than the last trailer to me, much better. Also

raviator and alam1108 like this.
  20. therealdeal

I mean there's not much else he can say. :D

The trailer looks okay, but the tone is all over the place and the CGI needs to get set. I'm already confused by the scope of the movie.